Wrangler hiking pants

OP
Gerard Marcaurele
Sat through a cold wet drizzle last week deer hunting. The pants dried very quickly, but did not shed water very well. Body heat evaporated everything that soaked in almost as fast as it was raining. Wouldn’t think these to be very waterproof in a heavy rain. But, I don’t expect them to be at $25. If I want waterproof I’ll buy rain pants

OP
Gerard Marcaurele
Quick update. These pants get use every weekend trimming horses, working in the yard, and also some sparse hunting. The “swish” has subsided, probably because the fabric is more broken in. In hot weather, these things are the ticket. They have held up extremely well. No issues with popped threads or holes, so far.

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
I am very impressed with mine as well. They are quieter than a 90$ pair of name brand 4 way stretch pants and for 25 buck I won't think twice about babying them. Unfortunately my Wal-Mart switch to summer wardrobe and didn't restock. I will buy another 2 pairs as soon as I see them

I have several pair of these and love them. One pair is starting to look pretty rough but they are perfect for just about everything. Can’t beat the price. I will be buying more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couple notes on the wrangler outdoor comfort cargo pants:

1) The ones sold through walmart are not the same pants as the ones target. The target ones have snaps at the bottom to roll them up (which I hate; its why I wont bother with Prana Zions)

2) I bought two pair last year and two pair last week. The fit on the newer ones is different than the older ones. Much more of a relaxed fit that Im not so crazy about. Not, terrible but the older ones were trimmer. But, I had got a different size to try as well and the fit was closer to the older ones, fwiw.

All in all, I have nothing but good things to say about these pants. I'm searching for some better/heavier hunting pants but I still wear the wranglers every day.

Owenst7

WKR
Poor wording on my part. I was curious if it had dwr because of the price point they would make a great work pant for me which would get trashed before needing to reapply dwr. I lost the pair I had but remember them to be somewhat thick. In my experience a factory dwr on thicker or tightly woven material has performed better than applying myself.

I think I paid $25 for them which is great, dwr or not, even better if they do have dwr.

I’m a fan of dwr spray cans, just not a fan of chemical exposure.

I'm pretty sure the consumer-applied DWRs are just a water soluble wax and probably fairly harmless. With most of the industry becoming sensitive to consumer fickleness and environmental agendas, along with likely restrictions on worn garment compounds, I suspect there wouldn't be much of a corncern if one were to look into it.

I believe McNett (wester mountaineering uses their products, so I tend to lean towards their brand when available) makes most of their stuff in the US. I suspect that alone would force them to produce something with as little environmental restriction as possible, possibly to the expense of the function of their product. My experience with the paint and industrial adhesive industry has shown this. I think it just becomes cheaper to do things and avoid the taxes and fees associated with using the ideal stuff.

I've got half a dozen pairs of these wranglers that are about a year old now. I wear them almost entirely instead of jeans. I've got one pair that I've worn on almost all of my backpacking/hunting trips. They did a 15 day deer/elk hunt, two sheep hunts, a number of days Chukar hunts, and several summits of Mt. Rose this past winter. Other than some loose stitches at the cuffs which still haven't released the hems (which would be an easy fix anyway) and a small hole I burned in the thigh laying next to the fire, they look like pretty much new condition. In surprised at how stain resistant they are. I will be wearing this same pair when I pack in to the wilderness for my elk/deer hunt this fall. So far they've been the most comfortable pants I've ever owned and I don't believe a pair of jeans would have held up this well over time.

Last edited:
looks like you can only get the outdoor performance version direct for Wrangler anymore.Walmart doesnt have them anymore as well as the Swiss Tech 4 way strych pants that are a little heavier and built nicer in my opinion. but both great for the price though.when you do find them you gotta be careful there are a few versions of the 4 way stretch pants around. i see Target has one and the cargo version has cotton in it. very confusing.

Couple notes on the wrangler outdoor comfort cargo pants:

1) The ones sold through walmart are not the same pants as the ones target. The target ones have snaps at the bottom to roll them up (which I hate; its why I wont bother with Prana Zions)

2) I bought two pair last year and two pair last week. The fit on the newer ones is different than the older ones. Much more of a relaxed fit that Im not so crazy about. Not, terrible but the older ones were trimmer. But, I had got a different size to try as well and the fit was closer to the older ones, fwiw.

All in all, I have nothing but good things to say about these pants. I'm searching for some better/heavier hunting pants but I still wear the wranglers every day.

I bought a pair of the newer ones with the comfort flex waist and, they are really baggy. I could go a size smaller for sure. Like the regulars a lot better. Thankful I still have one pair of those left. They are Not nearly as baggy as the newer versions.

looks like you can only get the outdoor performance version direct for Wrangler anymore.Walmart doesnt have them anymore as well as the Swiss Tech 4 way strych pants that are a little heavier and built nicer in my opinion. but both great for the price though.when you do find them you gotta be careful there are a few versions of the 4 way stretch pants around. i see Target has one and the cargo version has cotton in it. very confusing.

Type in Wrangler outdoor performance pants and, you will find them a bunch of different places. It does appear that most places have limited sizing so, maybe they are on the way out?

Justin_the_EDG

Lil-Rokslider
I think they're just a seasonal product. I expect to see them showing up in stock again come August or so at the same time as the "back to school" theming.

SoDaky

WKR
Thank you,thank you,thank you!!!
Ordered some direct from Wrangler.Sweet.Pockets not 'as nice',sure durability less,but 6 pair equalling one Sitka or equivalent???Ha,a steal!
Just took a loaded pack,bean buster hike in hot humid weather and they are cool,comfortable and perfectly colored.

OP
Gerard Marcaurele
Thank you,thank you,thank you!!!
Ordered some direct from Wrangler.Sweet.Pockets not 'as nice',sure durability less,but 6 pair equalling one Sitka or equivalent???Ha,a steal!
Just took a loaded pack,bean buster hike in hot humid weather and they are cool,comfortable and perfectly colored.

Glad to hear that this thread helped somebody! I’ll be hog hunting down here soon to torture them again. Hope to update again soon

sbsyncro

FNG
Just ordered some of the version at Target for my son - first pair of hunting pants I was able to find in a 29 x 30 size that weren't women's pants. I got myself a pair to get free shipping, which basically meant I got my pants for like $10. :) Thanks for all the info.

Rokwiia

WKR
I was a doubter but am now a believer. I bought a pair of the Target snap-version and they are super comfortable. Not a fan of the vertical zip pocket so I just ordered two pair of the Wal-Mart horizontal version.

Are they the quality of a Sitka Ascent pant? Not in my opinion but the difference in quality doesn't warrant the difference in price ($180 per pant including sales tax). I've now got three of them and may get more just to have them around for yardwork purposes.

bozeman

WKR
if you can find a VF Factory outlet, they have 2 diff version of this Wrangler pant. One for 12.99, lighter weight on only one zip pocket (have 2 pair) the other is a little heavier 18.99, with 2 zip pockets (one on each leg) have 1 pair, wish I had 3 or 4........

Bobbyboe

WKR
Stopped at Target today and found a few in my size at 50% off ($12 each). I picked up two pair to give them a shot.

Just finished up some yard work. So far they seem nice, and are quite comfortable. Though these seem like the perfect weight for early season or desert hunting, I wish they were a heavier so I could wear them hid season. Can’t go wrong for the price!

sbsyncro

FNG
I bought a pair of the Target snap-version and they are super comfortable. Not a fan of the vertical zip pocket so I just ordered two pair of the Wal-Mart horizontal version.

Please let us know what you think of the difference between the two. For everyone else's reference, here are the two versions:

Target version: Wrangler(R) Men'''s Outdoor Stretch Nylon Utility Pants : Target
Walmart version: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Men-s-Outdoor-Comfort-Flex-Cargo-Pant/899017868

My Target Wranglers just arrived via UPS.

The fit & finish on the Wrangler (single vertical zip version) is quite good, and they fit me well (slim build, 32 x 30). The zippered pocket on the right is an interesting idea - it sits level while you're crouched or sitting, which would be great, but the pocket is so small it won't hold my iPhone 7 in a Lifepruf Frē case, which makes it fairly useless. The snaps on the bottom are also useless (do you really need snaps to roll your pants up 4" to wade through a creek?). I'll probably remove them and darn the resulting holes.

The 4-way stretch is generally great; I find the crotch/butt to be a bit tight, even on my slim build (the center hem runs right down from the zipper and up between the nads), so if you prefer a looser more relaxed fit in that region, these might not be for you.

They have a light DWR coating on them of some sort. If I sprinkle water on them, it beads off, but the texture of the fabric will hold water if soaked.

(I also picked up a pair of the Gerry "adventure" pants from Costco over the weekend for $14. The Gerry pants are definitely inferior to the Wranglers, and look like something you'd wear if you really just don't care what you look like (in my opinion). They will be going back to Costco next weekend.)

Last edited:
These have been my goto work pants everyday for the past year...im in agriculture and do a lot of soil testing so i see some mud, and these things look almost brand new. My last couple pairs of $50 levis barely made a year.