Wrapping spotter with coban/self adhesive tape ??

Wapiti151

WKR
Hi all, I have a spotter case/cover problem...but think I may have found a solution? I’ve looked all over the forum and can’t find this solution.

I am super specific when it comes to gear, and after trying multiple spotter cases/sleeves/covers...I hated them all. None were necessarily “bad”, but I seemed to have to compromise something for every one of them. Whether that be bulk, weight, functionality issues, etc. Neoprene was my favorite worst option. It’s less bulky and cumbersome, but no matter which I have tried...I can never seem to get FULL functionality of the scope as if it didn’t have a cover at all. To get it, I had to cut material away (full zoom collar use, rotation collar operation). I have a Swaro ATX 65, and the other issue I have with neoprene is a cannot take the scope apart for travel, while also keeping it protected.

BUT. I think I have found a solution. In the medical field, 3m Coban is used like crazy and it is an excellent self adhesive tape with no glue or residue that can be left behind. So, what I did was took a roll of black coban and wrapped the entire scope with a few layers of it. This allowed me to have FULL functionality if my zoom and focus, while still being able to use my rotation collar. Coban is also a rubberish material, so it adds significant cushion to the scope.
After I wrapped with coban, I then came in and wrapped with a layer of black water resistant athletic tape to add some extra protection and water resistance. So far, I absolutely love the look/feel and functional abilities I get. Haven’t tested in the field or anything as of yet.

has anyone else gone this route on your spotter? Would love to hear feedback/potential issues? For the record, this solution also only costs $12.00.
Happy hunting!

Rob5589

WKR
Coban is awesome. But it will leave some residue if left on long enough. I would imagine it would attract dirt as well with all the nooks and crannies.

OP
Wapiti151

Wapiti151

WKR
Oh will it? I didn’t think it would leave anything behind...would the residue be easy to clean off?

I thought about the dirt side, so I wrapped water resistant athletic tape over the coban. We shall see how it works. Worst case, I can take it off annually and redo it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TTT

Lil-Rokslider
Vet Wrap is the same but cheaper. They will all leave a residue, but not too bad. I’ve also used tennis grip wrap. It doesn’t leave a residue. You have to get a little creative around the knobs & such with it though.
All of these things are disposable to me. I inspect my optics before a hunt & will rewrap as needed. If it gets wet or feels moist, I also rewrap.

Naked has worked fine for 10 seasons on my ATM 2060x65 HD. Hate covers and the Swaro has rubber armor that still looks pretty good. Lighter and less volume in the pack that way, just don't put it next to the tripod, cooking pot, stove, etc

Rob5589

WKR
Oh will it? I didn’t think it would leave anything behind...would the residue be easy to clean off?

I thought about the dirt side, so I wrapped water resistant athletic tape over the coban. We shall see how it works. Worst case, I can take it off annually and redo it.

I have only used it on myself but it was pretty easy to remove with alcohol. Much easier than actual tape.

OP
Wapiti151

Wapiti151

WKR
That’s a good idea. You have any pics?

7b2757800e395eb2584b5df937d51106.jpg