Wrist Rocket vs Three Finger Release

Huntin_GI

WKR
So I have been getting everything dialed and leave on Wednesday for a backpack hunt. I've been shooting a Carter Target 3 all summer and was happy with my performance. Decided a backup release in the pack would be a good idea so I decided to throw the old wrist rocket truball in there just in case.

Figured might as well shoot it to make sure its atleast close and lo and behold, my groups got tighter. Took it back to the range on 3 separate occasions and the results were replicated each time. I alternated releases, shot the wrist rocket first, etc trying to ensure this wasn't a fluke.

This was shooting out to 70 yards.

At this point, my Carter is going into my pack and the truball is getting strapped on my wrist.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Tighter groups with the classic wrist rocket?

N2TRKYS

WKR
I get much better groups with an index release over a thumb. A thumb release causes me to punch the trigger way too much.

OP
Huntin_GI

Huntin_GI

WKR
I get much better groups with an index release over a thumb. A thumb release causes me to punch the trigger way too much.
Maybe that's whats happening to me. Hard to tell. All I know is my groups sucked together when I strapped up old faithful.

rideold

WKR
I just moved to a thumb release this fall because my groups got tighter with that. I switched back and forth between my index and thumb multiple times to confirm it. In the end it's all about fooling your brain!

wayoh22

WKR
What made everything click together for me with a thumb trigger was this video @ the 13min mark. Letting your hand stretch to get the surprise release.

N2TRKYS

WKR
What made everything click together for me with a thumb trigger was this video @ the 13min mark. Letting your hand stretch to get the surprise release.

I shoot like crap with a surprise release. Lol I’m much better with a controlled release.

All things equal, a wrist strap index release is the most accurate. However, it’s the easiest release with which to develop target panic. I know this because I’ve lived it.
Archery is a very individual sport. If you don’t have target panic and do well with the index, go for it. If you punch it as soon as the pin hits your spot, it may not be the best thing for you.

I’d be happy to help more in PMs if you’d like.

Fortunately, I feel like I shoot both thumb button and index equally well now, but I practice both a lot, and equitably; because I’m trying the same program - one or the other will be backup in a pack. Something that helps me w/index release, is I put forward pressure on the trigger with index knuckle while at full draw, and roll it over to shoot once I’m ready. (Maybe many do this, but I was never taught to). Started doing so after watching friends “free float” their index finger - inherently punchy. Perhaps your wrist release lines up better w/your DL, and provides a more natural anchor point? As has been mentioned many times here, individual results vary widely, but I thought it was gospel that thumb buttons all but eliminated the dreaded punch??

OP
Huntin_GI

Huntin_GI

WKR
Fortunately, I feel like I shoot both thumb button and index equally well now, but I practice both a lot, and equitably; because I’m trying the same program - one or the other will be backup in a pack. Something that helps me w/index release, is I put forward pressure on the trigger with index knuckle while at full draw, and roll it over to shoot once I’m ready. (Maybe many do this, but I was never taught to). Started doing so after watching friends “free float” their index finger - inherently punchy. Perhaps your wrist release lines up better w/your DL, and provides a more natural anchor point? As has been mentioned many times here, individual results vary widely, but I thought it was gospel that thumb buttons all but eliminated the dreaded punch??
That's why I moved to the thumb in the first place. I tried a few different ones and ended up with the Carter. Think I may try to sell it and pick up the WiseGuy from SpottHogg... Then again, maybe changing up my process will help me not get "too" comfortable with either and avoid punching with either.