Wrist sling for hunting?

Manosteel

WKR
I have used one ever since I took lessons from IBO pro years ago and really got my form squared away. I have a very light touch "target Archery's" grip and when I was re-learning how to shoot, it give an extra bit of confidence not to drop the bow. I never went away from one since that time and also began to shoot with a handheld release and to this day routinely practice with a back tension release.

Lukem

WKR
I used to shoot with one, but realized I wasn't using it and it was pretty much in the way. Some people like them, some don't. If they're too tight, they can induce torque in the grip.

Lawnboi

WKR
I had one in the past. Never understood what the heck it did. All my bows are without them now. All they do is get in the way imo

I don't currently use one.... However I think I will be putting one on soon. I think they are to "catch" your bow at the shot. I have noticed lately when I shoot it tend to "grab" my grip the same time I am squeezing off the shot. Seems to be affecting my accuracy.

OP
Bowhuntr64
I had one in the past. Never understood what the heck it did. All my bows are without them now. All they do is get in the way imo

I have always felt that as well. I have never had the bow leap out of my hand and need the sling to catch it. I don't grip my bow, but it just falls into my hand upon the shot.

J-Daddy

WKR
I stopped using them years ago, just one less thing I have to deal with during crunch time. If you look at guys like Levi Morgan you'll see that hardly any of them use any kind of sling on their hunting rigs...With the right grip I don't think they are needed.

a3dhunter

WKR
I don't currently use one.... However I think I will be putting one on soon. I think they are to "catch" your bow at the shot. I have noticed lately when I shoot it tend to "grab" my grip the same time I am squeezing off the shot. Seems to be affecting my accuracy.

Helps people to shoot with a more relaxed bow hand thus not putting torque into the grip of the bow, which could affect the shot.
Some people end up with a death grip on their bow when shooting at an animal.

sk1

WKR
i use one....just to make sure i follow through with the shot properly and not suddenly grip my bow upon releasing an arrow...helps me relax and not have any concern about dropping the bow. i dont know what one i use, but it took me awhile to find out that was easy to slip a gloved hand into and still be very relaxed sitting just above my wrist.

Lawnboi

WKR
I guess I don't understand the 'I don't want to drop my bow' thing. Do you shoot with a totally open hand?

Everyone iv ever seen shooting with an open had, closes it at the shot at one time or another. Iv always been taught to have a relaxed solid grip and to let the tips of my fingers touch the riser. That way I know that bow is in my hand when I shoot and I don't clench at the shot.

sk1

WKR
yes, shoot with a totally open hand, and try to leave it that way until the arrow completely clears the bow, hence the term follow through, at least thats what i consider a follow through when shooting a bow....i would think if you quickly grab your bow as soon as you pull the trigger of your release, even though it may happen subconsciously, the odds of you torquing it one direction or another while squeezing your hand on it are pretty high.

i dont know a lot about archery and proper form, but that's how it was taught to me as a kid and i have shot that way ever since....so who knows maybe i am way off base on that.

without a wrist sling, who wouldn't grab their bow immediately after they shoot, i know i sure would.

OP
Bowhuntr64
But why does not using a sling mean that you will quickly grab the bow? I connect my thumb and finger around the bow, but with no pressure. I don't grab the bow, it just falls into my relaxed hand; my thumb and finger become a "sling."

Put it this way: how many who use a wrist sling allow the bow to fall onto the sling after every shot?

Lawnboi

WKR
Look at the pros, how many of them have open hands.... Just how iv been taught, fingers barely on the riser.

That way im not going to grab the bow at the shot. Lots of guys shoot open handed, almost all of them that I watch shoot grip the bow at the same time they shoot.

I have a few wrist slings sitting at home somewhere from before I knew I didn't need them. I honestly don't see the point of them.

sk1

WKR
the thumb and finger makes sense to me, the other way not so much

im not saying i shoot the right way, just how i was taught

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use BCY Loop material for my sling. It does double duty if I need it for repairs, it is super light and tough as nails.