Writer...

I have heard that if a guy is an outdoor writer, part time, that he can write off his hunting trips and gear expenses as part of a business. Tell me it isn't so because my fingers are ready to blur out some words on dis here keyboard.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
You don't have to sell a article or picture. A rejection letter from the company works just as well.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
This is something I would consider. Be careful if you need a loan anytime soon though. You can either file taxes to not pay taxes or you can file taxes to borrow money- not both. I'm a loan officer and see it a bunch.

People think that cheating the tax code is easy only because they haven't been audited. Lots of misinformation out there. Act wisely. There are no statutes of limitation on fraud.

shaun

WKR
I have heard that if a guy is an outdoor writer, part time, that he can write off his hunting trips and gear expenses as part of a business. Tell me it isn't so because my fingers are ready to blur out some words on dis here keyboard.

If that's the case call me Shakespeare haha

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I work with a reputable account (25+ years experience) and have been able to write off much of my expenses, but my bases are covered on multiple fronts: bought and published author, outfitter, and scouting business.

As belly-deep implies, the rubber hits the road when you get audited and we've never been. I sleep well, but you never know when it comes to the govenment.

Check with an accountant in your area.