Wrnaglers/pack horses in the Woodriver area of WY

jaeger63

FNG
A friend and I were fortunate enough to draw unit 62-1 this year in WY. I started my homework on this unit well over a year ago and have several guys willing to help out with coordinates and info. One thing I would still like to inquire about is the possibility of having a wrangler with some horses help with a pack out should I need it. Ive heard this can be a tricky situation because many will be dedicated to paying clients. Ive always managed to get them out on my back but I'm no spring chicken anymore and I would like to at least inquire about the possibility. I would appreciate any info on wranglers and horses in that area. Thanks and best of luck to all this season!

grfox92

WKR
A friend and I were fortunate enough to draw unit 62-1 this year in WY. I started my homework on this unit well over a year ago and have several guys willing to help out with coordinates and info. One thing I would still like to inquire about is the possibility of having a wrangler with some horses help with a pack out should I need it. Ive heard this can be a tricky situation because many will be dedicated to paying clients. Ive always managed to get them out on my back but I'm no spring chicken anymore and I would like to at least inquire about the possibility. I would appreciate any info on wranglers and horses in that area. Thanks and best of luck to all this season!
There is a very limited amount of guides working that area. Anyone who is going to pack out an animal out of that unit will need to be a licensed outfitter. The outfitters won't be available just to pack out an animal as they will be busy with clients.

I know there are people who rent mules and horses in the area, I don't have their info though.

Are you a resident?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

You’re gonna have to cowboy up in the Cowboy state for this one. Do you have any horse experience?

squirrel

WKR
I went deep into that country for sheep with my llamas. Incredible stuff, it gave me all I could handle. I personally cannot imagine going deep and getting a bull out on my own back and no support. Some of the bulls I had courting my llamas would have made me think it was worth it, right up until I was standing next to them! Of course, that is generally true!

grfox92

WKR
Im a non resident.
Indian summer I like that! I will cowboy up in the cowboy state!
Not trying to be a Debbie Downer but take a good look at the maps. If I remember correctly a lot of that unit is considered wilderness and as a non-resident without a guide you won't be able to hunt be on the wilderness boundary. I applied for the same tag, but being that I'm a resident I didn't really pay too close attention to the wilderness boundaries.

Archer86

WKR
62 has a ton of area to hunt that is not wilderness. Probably the best tag for a unguided non resident and still get a backcountry experience if you can find someone to pack you in and out.

grfox92

WKR
62 has a ton of area to hunt that is not wilderness. Probably the best tag for a unguided non resident and still get a backcountry experience if you can find someone to pack you in and out.
I was probably wrong. I might be thinking of an adjacent unit, maybe 59 or 67.

Fireman03

Lil-Rokslider
There is a very limited amount of guides working that area. Anyone who is going to pack out an animal out of that unit will need to be a licensed outfitter. The outfitters won't be available just to pack out an animal as they will be busy with clients.

I know there are people who rent mules and horses in the area, I don't have their info though.

Are you a resident?

Resident draw results are out?

OP
jaeger63

jaeger63

FNG
Archer86,
Yes that is one of the primary reasons I chose 62 over a few others. Plenty of NF for a non resident like myself. Yea sounds like I'll be packing out on my back if I get one which is the only way I've ever done it anyways.

4ester

WKR
Congrats on the draw. Let us know how you did this fall.

Careful around the Griz up there. Last time we were in some of that country they were everywhere. It’s some pretty mean terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archer86

WKR
Archer86,
Yes that is one of the primary reasons I chose 62 over a few others. Plenty of NF for a non resident like myself. Yea sounds like I'll be packing out on my back if I get one which is the only way I've ever done it anyways.
Yup good luck. I will be up there on and off riding new horses through out the summer getting them some experiance its got good scenery and close to me. If I see anything good I will keep you in mind definitely update you should have a good time in that unit.