Wrong tires end my hunt early

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
Reason # 6895688 why i don't do chain stores. There is a no accountability.

My local tire guy knows my name and when my veg stand is empty he checks in to see if I'm ok.

The last tire I dropped off for him i didn't have time to pickup. So he dropped it off after the shop closed....

You guys need a little more hometown and a little less downtown in your life.

Fatcamp

WKR
BS. I have yet to find a modern C rated tire that's anywhere near as durable as an E rated tire. See the carcasses of C rated tires all the time on the mountain roads around here. Keep drinking whatever you're drinking, but 200k flat free miles on E rated tires has proven the difference.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ya, I have been using E rated tires on my vehicles for awhile with no problems. 300k or so of all types of driving. Not a single flat in that time. Put C rated tires on my wife's Rav4 and had a flat within a month.

TSAMP

WKR
Buddy of mine just bought a new pickup. Older Ford diesel. Clean,lifted, mud tires. Got home and realized it was 2 wheel drive.

The fact the shop needed to check first to install the tires you requested should of alerted you that it'd be in your best interest to check again as well.

Lots of good advice here that would greatly reduce the likelihood of a trip cut short again.

Lesson learned, maybe?

granite7

Lil-Rokslider
It is my truck I am the only one that drives it and I pay weekly for personal use.

In no way, shape or form does this equate to being your truck. The man or company who laid out the capital, carries the depreciation, carries the insurance, and pays the maintenance (like new tires on the fleet credit card) owns the truck. You pay for the privilege to drive it under limited circumstances.

I question whether the fleet personal use policy even allows for off road usage, let alone allows for tire upgrades for personal trips.

I don’t feel bad for you, but I feel terrible for your son, who is learning your ethics and lost out on some hunting time because of it.

OP
280Ackley

280Ackley

WKR
In no way, shape or form does this equate to being your truck. The man or company who laid out the capital, carries the depreciation, carries the insurance, and pays the maintenance (like new tires on the fleet credit card) owns the truck. You pay for the privilege to drive it under limited circumstances.

I question whether the fleet personal use policy even allows for off road usage, let alone allows for tire upgrades for personal trips.

I don’t feel bad for you, but I feel terrible for your son, who is learning your ethics and lost out on some hunting time because of it.
We were not off roading we were driving county gravel roads. You have no idea what you are talking about. I wasn’t getting upgraded tires for this trip and only my personal use. I drive on gravel roads and rock pits weekly for my job. I have already been approved by my manager and fleet company for better tires. As for preaching to me about ethics and my son,you can go pound sand. You don’t know me or anything about my ethics.

SDHNTR

WKR
BS. I have yet to find a modern C rated tire that's anywhere near as durable as an E rated tire. See the carcasses of C rated tires all the time on the mountain roads around here. Keep drinking whatever you're drinking, but 200k flat free miles on E rated tires has proven the difference.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Good talk. The only universal in C vs E is that the E will hold more air. Everything else is subjective. It depends on the make/model of the specific tire as to whether or not you actually get a stronger built tire with that E rating.

Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR
Yes it’s a company vehicle. Yes I should have double checked they did what I asked. Do you look at your tire rating everytime you get in your truck? These were the factory original tires. I’ve had “E” rated/10 ply tires on all my past vehicles due to where I drive my truck for work. Come on what do you think we were doing road hunting with our bows for Antelope?!?! We hiked over 8 miles a day chasing them. Hard to hike to hunt them when you can’t drive on gravel.
You bet I do! If I pay $1200 for tires that I probably had very specifically selected AND had an upcoming trip/hunt AND it was a few years in the making, I sure as bananas turn brown would take a gander at my sweet new tires to see what I see.

Considering how many 65"+ pronghorn I see from pavement, it seems like one of those "if there is a will there is a way" sort of lessons in there somewhere.

What did your company say when you notified them their tire choice ruined your hunt and you were going to leave a bad review on Rokslide?

EastMT

WKR
In my younger years I ran a tire shop. I’ll put 10 ply tires on a Prius if I can find the ones to fit! I cant tell you how many times little tiny crushed gravel poked through 4 ply tires that should not have.

I don’t mind a rougher ride vs 4 ply, it’s a truck not an escalade.

Last edited:

KsRancher

WKR
I just ordered a set of tires for my son's Jeep Liberty. We am planning on taking it to Colorado the first part of October for his pronghorn hunt. And then mid October I am taking it Colorado for first rifle elk. I wanted load range E tires. Nope don't make them in that size. I can't remember how the classified the types. But there were only 2 kinds. So I ordered the "better" of the two, whatever that may be. Hopefully they work for Colorado mountain roads

Titan_Bow

WKR
I just ordered a set of tires for my son's Jeep Liberty. We am planning on taking it to Colorado the first part of October for his pronghorn hunt. And then mid October I am taking it Colorado for first rifle elk. I wanted load range E tires. Nope don't make them in that size. I can't remember how the classified the types. But there were only 2 kinds. So I ordered the "better" of the two, whatever that may be. Hopefully they work for Colorado mountain roads

Likely not going to be an issue in Colorado. I run back roads all over this state and I’ve never had issues like driving some of those roads in Wyoming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wags

WKR
I had a sidewall blow out on brand new (stock) tires on my RAM 2500. Those Transforce tires are garbage but I expected more than 5K miles from rubbing against a log.

I put TOYO Open Country AT 3's on it and they've been flawless. I put the Falken AT3's on my wife's Suburban and I love them as well. I'd never put an off brand / garbage tire on a vehicle that I am relying on miles from any road with my kids in it.

I feel bad for ya magtek but make this a learning experience. I find tire shops for the most part can have pretty poor service! I always check my pressure and confirm the proper rubber before I leave the lot. I always specify the pressure I want but generally they "max" the pressure. And a follow up retorque is a good idea as well.

rob86jeep

WKR
I had a 6 day archery antelope hunt planned with my son since last year. In preparation I went in to get tires put on my pickup. I talked to the gal at the counter told her I needed 10 ply. She said they had to get it approved with my fleet company and would call me back when it was all approved. Next day get the call, go down and they put new tires on. So my son and I head out on our 7 hour drive to the other side of the state. Hunt for 2 days and get a flat in the middle of the second day, which was Friday. Got to the local tire store 30 minutes away. Same chain that put the new tires on. They told me these were not 10 ply on my pickup but a 4/6 ply!! They put a used tire on and say they can’t fix all 4 because the store that made the mistake has to. Well as you can guess we get another flat the next day early afternoon. Now the tire store is closed until Tuesday and we can not drive off the pavement and risk getting another flat without a spare. So I decided to cut our hunt short and come home 3 days early. So if you get new tires confirm they put on what you requested!!
What tires were they (specific tire and size)? Also, what truck was it on? I didn't see it posted yet.

def90

WKR
What was the surface like that you were driving on that you got two flats in two days? I've been driving gravel roads, forest service roads, and national grassland two tracks for decades with my Jeep and have never gotten a flat. Using BFG All Terrain T/A KO2s.

OP
280Ackley

280Ackley

WKR
Backcountry all terrain on a 2021 Silverado. We were on county gravel roads. I have driven a few thousand miles on gravel for work and play. I have never had anything happen like this before except with factory slicks. Even then it wasn’t a complete puncture. Both of the flats blew out in the middle of the treads. Both tires are completely ruined.