Wrong tires end my hunt early

def90

WKR
Backcountry all terrain on a 2021 Silverado. We were on county gravel roads. I have driven a few thousand miles on gravel for work and play. I have never had anything happen like this before except with factory slicks. Even then it wasn’t a complete puncture. Both of the flats blew out in the middle of the treads. Both tires are completely ruined.

Weird, were both blowouts in the same area? Did the road surface have pointed rocks sticking out if it?

i swear, i didn’t realize we had this many members who must be jealous of people who drive company vehicles. Anyhow, jealousy is no excuse for being an asshole.
280– sorry for your mishap! Tough for your boy especially… better luck next time!

OP
280Ackley

280Ackley

WKR
Nope two different roads about 10 miles apart and never saw anything that made me worried. This was in south eastern Idaho and there gravel is a white color not sure if that had anything to do with it.

OP
280Ackley

280Ackley

WKR
i swear, i didn’t realize we had this many members who must be jealous of people who drive company vehicles. Anyhow, jealousy is no excuse for being an asshole.
280– sorry for your mishap! Tough for your boy especially
I know right! I think a couple of them might work for the Fleet management company!!!😂😂😂

Sorry to hear you got boned.

It does seem curious not to check the tires before leaving, especially a chain store.

Last time I put new tires on my personal truck (Goodyear Wrangler AT), I went to the shop to pick up my truck and the tires said "COOPER". I got the manager and said WTF? He copped an attitude as if I had changed my mind somewhere along the line... I left with the correct set of tires though.

At another tire store, the manager told me not to put chains on until I was already stuck...

WCB

WKR
Never put 10 plys on any of my vehicles and spend all fall bombing down gravel and minimum maintenance roads. Any flat I have had is from metal of some sort OR towards the end of the life of the tire.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
In preparation I went in to get tires put on my pickup. I talked to the gal at the counter told her I needed 10 ply. She said they had to get it approved with my fleet company and would call me back when it was all approved.
I have driven a few thousand miles on gravel for work and play. I have never had anything happen like this before except with factory slicks.
You said that you drive gravel roads for work all the time in this fleet truck, and that "I have never had anything happen like this before except with factory slicks". Asking for 10 ply tires seems like something new for your fleet vehicles. What do you normally put on your fleet vehicles "that you never have problems with"? And what made you think that you needed 10 ply for this specific trip? Just trying to nail down the logic here.

I have also had bad luck with off brand tires, which it seems you had. At least I have never heard of them. Once I started running good name brand tires that were E rated, no flats. Even when I pick up a nail or something. Not saying there are not some good off brands, I just have never had a good experience with any.

Justinjs

Lil-Rokslider
280– sorry for your mishap! Tough for your boy especially… better luck next time!
Your choice of language is not really necessary bruh.
Screenshot_20210907-153755.png

OP
280Ackley

280Ackley

WKR
I’m starting to see why so many members just use the classifieds. People sure are a lot tougher and just douche’s online. @realunlucky can you please just close this thread?

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
It's a chuckle only one person caught that part.

Not sure I have a ton of sympathy; it is wicked easy to read the tire specs any one of the hundreds of times hopping in the truck, ….
I’d feel sorry for you if your antelope hunt got ruined. It’s hard to be a tire expert too. I’d easily have made this mistake if it happened at my tire store. That’s why he put the thread up, to make us un-wise more aware.

Thanks OP

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
BS. I have yet to find a modern C rated tire that's anywhere near as durable as an E rated tire. See the carcasses of C rated tires all the time on the mountain roads around here. Keep drinking whatever you're drinking, but 200k flat free miles on E rated tires has proven the difference.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Can’t you just say, “I don’t agree and this is why?“.

Why the: ”BS!…keep drinking whatever you’re drinking…”

Chris, you’re a smart guy with lots to offer this site, and a friend. Please, show a little more respect in your posts.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I’m starting to see why so many members just use the classifieds. People sure are a lot tougher and just douche’s online. @realunlucky can you please just close this thread?
“…douche…” not necessary but I can see your frustration with some of the clown-like know-it-all answers you received on here.

Everyone, practice this skill:

If you see someone’s done something differently than you have, ask yourself if you’re actually contributing the the thread or just trying to show everyone how really smart you are and how you never make any mistakes?

If you’re honest, you’ll find yourself posting less often and the tone of Rokslide will actually improve (and you might get to stay a member.)

Winnie

Lil-Rokslider
So, to get back to one of the points of the thread (and thanks OP for posting), how does one know if you have a more puncture-resistant tire? 10 ply or E rated?

OP
280Ackley

280Ackley

WKR
For me they were the same exact brand and model of tires. Just changing the tire size made them 10ply or type E. Going from 275/60-r20 to a 275/65-r20 made them 10ply. Never knew that would change so much!!