WSA23-05 Sheep Closure

Clarktar

WKR
And another one. Seems like this tactic is here to stay and only grow.

I also think there are proposals to extend the closure (another two years) from the existing closure that encompasses Gates of the Arctic to the Sag ......

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

fatbacks

WKR
These federal closures are out of hand. I am not sure Alaskas fish and game agency has much control on federal land anymore

Gee I wonder if the record temperatures had anything to do with their inability to find suitable numbers of sheep during their surveys. It just keeps on getting better. Wonder what is next?

Gee I wonder if the record temperatures had anything to do with their inability to find suitable numbers of sheep during their surveys. It just keeps on getting better. Wonder what is next?

Are you implying that you think the sheep are still there, and the NPS surveyors didn’t see them because of weather? My impression from talking to state biologists, pilots, and looking at the last two years’ harvest records is that this particular area’s sheep numbers are pretty abysmal now.

Not defending this method of closure, but all accounts seem to point to a pretty bad situation in this sheep population.

sheep numbers have always been “low”, not to mention how spread out they can be in that area.

These federal closures are out of hand. I am not sure Alaskas fish and game agency has much control on federal land anymore

The Alaska Dept of Fish & Game has absolutely NO wildlife management authority on federal lands. They're at the mercy of what's dictated from Washington DC.