Sold WTB: Lightweight 338 Federal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Interested in buying a lightweight (5 lbs), heavy hitting rifle for Kodiak Deer/Goats/Elk with some Brown Bear defense capability.

I know some have re-bored Kimber Adirondack’s and that there are some Montana’s in 338 Federal. I didn’t have a good experience with my last Adirondack (misfires, accuracy issues), but a Kimber that has had work done to it may be better. A .308 may work as I could have it re-bored.

338 Federal interest me because it is a short action and factory ammo is available. Not interested in hand loading at this time.

Let me know if you may have something that may fit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Hard Chroming and other similar coatings are as good, if not better than stainless. A possible consideration. Also, maybe a 375 Ruger Alaskan set in one of the skeleton stocks. That's what I have and it makes for a pretty nice carry rifle with plenty of power for bears and still be a flat shooter with factory ammo available. If it needs to be lighter, set it in one of the Kevlar/FG stocks.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
A Weatherby Ultra-Lightweight in 338-06 would get you pretty close, has a 24" bbl and a good bit more power and reach over the 338 Federal. They are quite accurate and handle like a dream.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
A Weatherby Ultra-Lightweight in 338-06 would get you pretty close, has a 24" bbl and a good bit more power and reach over the 338 Federal. They are quite accurate and handle like a dream.

I’m leaning towards an 18” barrel. I know that Allen Bolen uses a Kimber 338-06 in a short barrel for his guide gun. It has to be super handy in the brush and be a caliber that holds its velocity well in something that short. I don’t know if I would be able to source 338-06 factory ammo. I’ll do a bit of research.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Hendershots Sporting Goods has factory ammo...plus Reeds Ammunition and Research has it too. Maybe Nosler as well. No big deal to whack a few inches off a barrel. The 375 Ruger Alaskan has a 20" bbl and set in a Kevlar stock would be darn close to your needs. I will weigh mine with the Ruger skeleton stock tomorrow, and then you can subtract about 1/2 a pound for a good quality Kevlar stock and bedding. Yes, the larger calibers do well velocity-wise in short barrels. The 375 Ruger does in a 20" barrel what a 375 H&H does in a 24". I have a 416 Ruger Alaskan too..but don't want it any lighter than it is.....its a HAMMER.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Hendershots Sporting Goods has factory ammo...plus Reeds Ammunition and Research has it too. Maybe Nosler as well. No big deal to whack a few inches off a barrel. The 375 Ruger Alaskan has a 20" bbl and set in a Kevlar stock would be darn close to your needs. I will weigh mine with the Ruger skeleton stock tomorrow, and then you can subtract about 1/2 a pound for a good quality Kevlar stock and bedding. Yes, the larger calibers do well velocity-wise in short barrels. The 375 Ruger does in a 20" barrel what a 375 H&H does in a 24". I have a 416 Ruger Alaskan too..but don't want it any lighter than it is.....its a HAMMER.

Thanks for the great info. Appreciate the detailed response.

eamyrick

WKR
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I went through this list recently and settled on a stainless Winchester model 70 in 308. Have JES rebore it to 338 and drop it in a lightweight stock.

Rusty85

WKR
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I have a Kimber Montana in 338 Fed all factory except a couple lightweight mods and a trigger job. With 186 hammers it shoots well under an inch consistently. It has become one of the few, I’ll never part with.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I have a Kimber Montana in 338 Fed all factory except a couple lightweight mods and a trigger job. With 186 hammers it shoots well under an inch consistently. It has become one of the few, I’ll never part with.

I was getting all excited that you were going to say you could part with it!

mt100gr.

WKR
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
If a Ruger guide gun like mentioned above is interesting to you, I did see a used one on a rack last week. PM me and I can get the contact info for you.
I was getting all excited that you were going to say you could part with it!

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Thanks buddy. I think they would be a bit heavy. They seem to be common here in AK, so I’ll check out one locally to see what they’re like. Leaving towards an 84M action.

mt100gr.

WKR
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Thanks buddy. I think they would be a bit heavy. They seem to be common here in AK, so I’ll check out one locally to see what they’re like. Leaving towards an 84M action.

10-4. I figured you had your mind made up. I handled a Kimber MT 338Fed a while back on the same Used rifle rack. I've wished I had snagged it a couple times.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
My 375 Ruger Alaskan in a boat-paddle stock is 6.5 lbs. I think with a good quality Kevlar/FG stock you could get it to 6 lbs bare which is more than you want. However, it does have backup iron sights AND if you do happen to get close to a BB in the thickets...I know which rifle I would rather have in my hands. I have since gotten a regular later version of the Ruger black composite stock to throw on it as it feels better in the hands. They are about the same weight. Those Hogue stocks are just so clubby.

Status
Not open for further replies.