WTB Montana Elk Trip

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys,
Me, my dad, brother, cousin & a buddy are looking to do our first elk hunt in Montana in the fall of 2021. Each of us will have 2-3 preference points and we are looking for a guided hunt. We've all been saving up for 3-5 years for this hunt & been busy buying gear, rifles, pack frames, boots etc. and shooting out to 450 yds in anticipation. We are all seasoned hunters that live in the mid-west. We've been out to SE Wyoming twice for antelope & canada for bears.

I'd be lying if I said we "didn't care about trophy potential." Like everyone, we would like a crack at being able to put a mount on the wall but we also hunt enough to know that's not always possible. We realize that we are fair chase hunters going after wild game. We also are looking for a good outfit for a good experience elk hunting.

Can anyone recommend a guide that they have used before?

We would like to rifle hunt. We've been looking at the three units that offer mid-Sept rifle hunts when they are bugling. We're also not opposed to going into grizzly county as long as we have guides. For our budget were hoping to stay around $5,000 (don't know if that is high or low), but are open to more or less $$ if it gets us better opportunities.

Thanks for your recommendations.

bsnedeker

WKR
I assume you are talking about The Bob. I've never hunted it but my understanding is that you don't hunt the Bob for trophy potential. That is tough, thick, steep, nasty country that has a high concentration on grizzlies.

Have you been building up bonus points and preference points, or just preference? Preference points will get you a general tag, bonus points are for limited entry units. Not sure a non resident has much hope drawing a good rifle tag with 4 bonus points, but that would be good to know.

I don't have a specific recommendation on an outfitter but if it was me I'd be looking for a guided hunt on a private ranch in Central or Southeast Montana. This will get you into the best chance for a big bull. These are not high fence elk and these are big ranches so it's still a real hunt for free range elk, just without all the hunting pressure you get on public land.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
We do have bonus & preference points. My understanding is that bonus points are built for limited/trophy units. I read somewhere that Montana requires you to apply for tags after you get two pref points.

We aren't specifically looking at The Bob. There some Scapegoat Wilderness Areas too that offer early rifle.

We are completely fine going private ranches in central/SE Montana.

Nothing is off the table.

OP
J

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
I've talked with several, looked at a bunch of guides websites but and was looking for some that any members have been with for some personal reviews.

cgasner1

WKR
Go hunt has a outfitters section in ones they recommend may be worth spending the money this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
If you don't hear from anyone on this site you might also consider signing up for hunting fool. They have a heck of a network from my understanding.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Warren Johnson out of Gardiner has a solid reputation; his backcountry hunts are above your $5000 mark, but if you figure in the stock (and additional work and personnel) it takes to get folks and camps deep into the backcountry- it's reasonable imo. The Absaroka- Beartooth Wilderness is an area that you'll remember forever- guaranteed :)

The early season rifle hunt in the Bob (yes, that includes the Scapegoat as they are all collectively managed as the Bob Marshall Wilderness Complex- so just Bob for short) have become increasingly crowded over the years. It’s a general license hunt, no secret, and plenty of locals ride ponies in and set up wall tents. Not to mention the number of outfitters the USFS authorizes to hunt in those districts, so it adds up to healthy pressure. Most of the elk are in an area where no hunting or discharging firearms is allowed yearlong. Neat country, and loads of grizzly bears. Highest concentration of grizzlies in the lower 48. Good luck!

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
I too would suggest a guided private land hunt. The bob is great, but not consistently good hunting. The early rifle season should be treated more as a great trip into amazing country with a rifle, don’t plan on seeing many elk, but plan on spending a ton of time in a saddle, which can be great!
If you do decide to hunt the Bob, I would talk to Sun Canyon Lodge, one of the better outfitters in there. They don’t do early season, you’d be hunting the general rifle season.

OP
J

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone. Full disclosure, we booked a hunt and are thinking of backing out because of some poor reviews and (like everyone has mentioned) about The Bob and the Scapegoat, the animals just don't seem to be there.

If private land is better, does anyone have any outfitters they suggest?

I'd assume that prices are going to be higher, so I'd be open to suggestions.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I could be wrong, but a hunt on private land- without all the stock, without all the tack, without all the feed, without wranglers, without all the camping gear- should be cheaper imo

Hunting Fool is a great resource. Call Isiaih Joner. If you are looking for wall mounts then Private ranch
hunts are really the way to go in MT. General tags will get you into Elk but it is a roll of the dice on anything bigger than 5 pts in most general areas.

Mike Marsh out of Backcountry Adventures in SW MT runs a good org. 406-925-1633

Most public land guys will be very reluctant to talk trophy elk. It is tough on public land

I could be wrong, but a hunt on private land- without all the stock, without all the tack, without all the feed, without wranglers, without all the camping gear- should be cheaper imo

A physical lodge, land access to very expensive ranches, and game #'s / quality can trump that pretty quickly.

I haven’t been in most of the country that allows firearms on a general tag in mid September but where I have been the "bugling bulls with a rifle" deal feels like an idea much more enticing than reality. Seems like a guy would be about as likely to get into bugling action on rifle opener in a unit with a better population..

Last edited:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
A physical lodge, land access to very expensive ranches, and game #'s / quality can trump that pretty quickly.

interesting; if I was going to pay big bucks (very unlikely :D) I think I’d opt for the pack in hunt vs the lodge on private property, even knowing full well that my odds of a big bull were diminished- of course I’m not overly picky which elk goes into my freezer :)

interesting; if I was going to pay big bucks (very unlikely :D) I think I’d opt for the pack in hunt vs the lodge on private property, even knowing full well that my odds of a big bull were diminished- of course I’m not overly picky which elk goes into my freezer :)

I’d venture to guess you are a bit different than the average outfitted client.

Wapiti1

WKR
Check with Big Racks of Montana, Montana Hunting Co, and Northern Rockies. All private land, but all are good outfits. Montana Hunting Co has high dollar and mid-price.

If you want wilderness, Sun Canyon Lodge for the Bob. But, that is a tougher hunt and more of an adventure.

Jeremy

Deadfall

WKR
Early season rifle units in bob are very hit or miss. You're not hunting resident elk. You're hunting migration route. If they ain't migrating you bird watching. Its a very tough chunk of country