WTH happened?

KsRancher

WKR
Family went in to Walmart today to get flu and whooping cough vaccine today. I went 1st, no biggie. My 15yr old, be 16 in 3 days went next. Walk out, no biggie. Sat down for maybe 30 seconds. And then said "I feel a little nauseous, I am going to the bathroom". I said okay and got up to follow him just to make sure he was okay. He made it about 10 steps and flat passed out. Face first on the concrete floor. In the process of trying to get him help and taken care of I felt it coming on to me. By this time someone had called 911 and the ambulance was there. He was on the stretcher getting vitals checked. They stuck the cuff on me and blood pressure was 60 over 40. I was sweating so bad my shirt was soaked. Mine subsided after a few minutes. My son was all awake and coherent, passed all of the neck/head test.

We refused ambulance ride for him but immediately took him to the ER for his very noticeable broke all to heck nose. I MEAN SMASHED. Go to ENT/surgeon on Wednesday to hopefully get it a fixed back if the swelling is down.

Got to hand it to my son. 2hrs after it happened while sitting in the ER, the Dr asked if he would like some pain medicine. Ethan said "na, it ain't too bad". Here we are 10hrs later at home and says "na, it's not too bad"

Anyone had this happen after a shot. He nor I have ever had any sort of reaction from a shot. Ethan has had probably 30 in his life and me probably 50.

Thanks to a great retired marine that was right there hands deep in the blood and helped my son until the ems got there. Great guy! Never seen the man in my life before.

Mtn_Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
My Uncle had this happen to him just last week. He never passed out but got super sick and was really light headed and shakey. He had it coming out both ends

OP
KsRancher

KsRancher

WKR
I have gotten sick after a vaccine before. But not passed out after a minute or 2

hunterjmj

WKR
Almost sounds like an allergic reaction. Scary stuff. I don’t get vaxed for flu or covid. Work tried to make me and threatened to fire me but turned out to be intimidation tactics when it came down to the wire.
Thankfully I didn't have a job that required or threatened cause I would have let them fire me. Good on you for staying strong.

7Bartman

WKR
Sounds like vasovagal syncope (aka passing out). It can be brought on by a lot of things, including getting a shot. A drop in blood pressure like that is likely not directly caused by any vaccine, but rather your mental reaction to it. I hope everyone recovers okay.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Back in the 70's I got a shot at my Dr's office, and afterwards the Dr just stood there talking to my mom and I for a bit. Next thing I know, I'm dropping like a rock. Woke up on the floor with them over me. The Dr said "happens all the time", and that's why he stayed with us and actually caught me as I was going down.

My dad told me about the "shot lines" in the Air Force back in the 50's, where it was like a gauntlet. Everybody walking down the line and getting hit with needles on both sides all the way down the line. He said lots of guys were dropping like flies.

11boo

WKR
I got numerous vac in the service. And I was much younger then, and did see a couple guys pass out right after the shots.
Now, I think I am done with all the vaccines and will take my chances.

MattB

WKR
Allergic reactions to vaccines can and do happen. Back in the COVID vaccination days there was a requirement to wait at the administration site for 15 minutes post-injection so you could be treated in case just such a thing occurred.

Scoot

WKR
Pick your poison, boys. A good friend of mine was an anti-vaxxer. "COVID is BS and the vaccine is a joke." Obviously he never got the vaccine. He died of COVID last winter- 62, non-smoker, in good health before getting it. There are risks with getting vaccines (they're unlikely and most are small) and there are risks of getting what the vaccine is trying to prevent. Pick your poison...

I realize the audience receiving this post won't be very receptive to it. My friend is still dead though and my statement about risks being on both sides of the equation is 100% accurate. Thank goodness we live in America and can each still make the choice of how we want to deal with our personal health issues, rather than having them shoved down our throats by the government. Let's keep it that way...

ODB

WKR
Only reaction I’ve ever had was a vasovagel reaction to a nurse digging in my arm to find a vein, hit a nerve and all the sudden the sweat started popping…

Odd to have two reactions like this one after the other.