WTH? Nasty Virus

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I just saw Robby post about his illness, and have been hearing the same thing from folks all over.

In my household it has been pretty vicious, with most of the kids missing school, and I was pretty much out of commission all weekend. We took the kids to the docs, and they said it was a widespread virus, but didn't do any labs to really narrow down the diagnosis.

The symptoms:

Nasty cough.
Head and Chest Congestion.
Chills/shakes.
Fever (102+).
Body aches.
Headaches.
Lack of energy.

It is pretty much flu-like without the stomach symptoms. Like a cold, but much more intense.

I don't get sick very often, but this thing really put me down for a few days.

Anybody else out there with this thing? What did you do to kick it?

That sounds horrible I got some kind of crud similar in a way to what your talking about a couple weeks ago. A sore throat, body aches, head and chest congestion and lack of energy so I didn't have all those symptoms but it still sucked.

Mckinnon

WKR
That is the "flu" that is going around. Seeing a ton of it in my clinical this semester. It is a nasty one! I am no MD but I would suggest keeping as hydrated as possible (pedialyte, gatorade, whatever you like), rest! Kick back and take a break, read a book, write an article for us ;), just relax. Oh, and don't forget to eat, sometimes you just don't feel hungry when your sick but you need nutrients to fight this crap off, so try and eat something (soup, banana, moose, elk, whatever!).

Hardstalk

WKR
My wife teaches first grade so she brings it all home. She is a tough brod but she was out of commission all week last week. I took her to the er friday because she was vomiting and in really rough shape from a migraine. She never gets headaches so I figured something wasnt right. They drew blood gave her a ctscan and opted for a spinal tap. In order to rule out spinal meningitis. Apparently its very contagious and potentially life threatening. (She had our child all natural because she didnt want any part of a needle in her spine) but the pain she was in made her very submissive to find a cure. Results of spinal fluid showed no meningitis. But the migraine lasted for another several days. Took her to a neurologist and they wanted to draw plasma to replace the spinal fluid the e.r pulled out. They stated that with lack of spinal fluid her headaches will take weeks to go away. She said no way to the second spinal tap and came around this weekend and is back at work today. It was one heck of a week.

Not sure if it may have been a virus that effected her a bit differently but I feel for anyone that is experiencing similar symptoms

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like what Luke and I came home from SHOT with three weeks ago. Not much you can do except get lots of rest, stay hydrated, and treat symptoms with medication (I.e. Advil or Tylenol and cough medicine) Remember you are contagious as long as you aree running a fever, so stay home or keep the kids home when at all possible. I actually found the fatigue afterwards to be the worst part about it...I was tired and weak for another 10 days after most of the rest of my symptoms were gone. No fun at all, but at least it was kind of during the off season at our house.

It actually could be the flu, although there is no point in testing for it this late into the game because it won't change the course of treatment. I was surprised to learn that very few adults with the flu present with GI symptoms...turns out the old "stomach flu" is kind of a misnomer. Nausea and vomiting are most common for children under 12 who get it, but the hallmark signs are actually the deep chest congestion and persistent fevers. From what I have been reading it looks like the flu bug this year is particularly virulent, and that variations they didnt anticipate mean the vaccine may not be protecting a fair number of people who got the shot.

Hope everyone feels better at your house Matt, hang in there!

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Its got me, going on my second week of it. I had the symptoms, they went away then came back a few days later with a vengeance. I think I am finally on the mend now though.

vegas hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Hmm. Is Vegas the epicenter? Me and my lady got it too. Was nasty. Started as chest congestion, then I went to chills and sweats, then a week of cold symptoms.

shaun

WKR
I did. As soon as I started feeling sick I went strait to DR instead of doin my normal vitamin C (was a little paranoid with a new born in the house) but they gave me a Z pack and 2 days later I felt much better

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the well wishes, everyone!

My wife teaches first grade so she brings it all home.

I am glad your wife is feeling better, hardstalk. One of my two firstgraders was the first to bring it home, and it has just gone through the household one at a time.

Its got me, going on my second week of it. I had the symptoms, they went away then came back a few days later with a vengeance. I think I am finally on the mend now though.

Yeah, it seems it comes and goes. I had the chills, then the fever, then better, then chills, then fever again. A fever coming back for another go is a new one for me.

Rock and Becca,

The docs are with you guys, and said it doesn't really matter if it is flu or not, the treatment is the same. Rest, fluids, rest, fluids.

Which sucks, cause it is gorgeous outside today.

Yesterday, I even didn't check Rokslide as often and return PMs like I normally do. So sorry about that.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I did. As soon as I started feeling sick I went strait to DR instead of doin my normal vitamin C (was a little paranoid with a new born in the house) but they gave me a Z pack and 2 days later I felt much better

Yours must have been bacterial Shaun, if the antibiotics knocked it out. Unfortunately, that won't help me. :(

jmez

WKR
I had it back in November. It is Influenza. The same as what most term a "head cold" or common cold. Similar conditions except with the flu generally run a fever, malaise and body aches. I was sick for a week. Did nothing but sit in a recliner for 4 days of it.

GI bug, or norovirus, is completely different.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dang! I hope everyone feels better! We have something run through the house but not near as severe. Mostly congestion and coughing. Nasty green stuff. No other symptoms though luckily.

RUTTIN

WKR
My whole family has the same thing, can't believe I have not got it yet. I have been trying to keep myself quarantined, hope all get feeling better.