WWRD Model 7

Kindo

WKR
What Would Rokslide Do?

I've got an older Model 7 KS or FS (Remington doesn't have records back when this rifle was produced) with the 18.5" barrel and a 22oz or so stock. I'm debating on where to go with this rifle or whether I should just sell and buy something more along what I'm looking for. I'm more of a bow guy but I've got some rifle hunts in the works.

Currently chambered in 7-08 with a pencil profile barrel. It's incredibly light weight and accurate but the barrel gets a bit whippy after the 4th or 5th shot. Below is a list of my thoughts and what I'll need regardless of whether I sell or modify.

* I'd like to thread the muzzle for my suppressor but unsure how that could impact that light profile of a barrel. My kids are getting to hunting age and I originally bought this rifle for them not knowing what it was as it was labeled a "youth rifle" :rolleyes: so using a suppressor is very high on my priorities.
* Would fluting the barrel (if its even possible) stiffen it up a bit?
* Better off putting a new barrel on that is a bit heavier and threaded?
* Can one open up the barrel channel in a composite stock like it has if I went with a heavier profiled barrel?

* I need an additional scope mounting hole drilled in the receiver as it currently only has 3 holes and forces me to use a 1-piece rail and mounts that force the scope up higher than I like. I'm waiting to hear back from a smith to see if this will work. That portion of the receiver doesn't have a lot of real estate to work with.

* Trigger: I'd like to upgrade the trigger as well. Is a guy typically better off just getting a job done by a good smith or buy a drop in like Trigger Tech?

* Lastly, towards the end of the forend, this stock has two humps built into the channel that make contact with the barrel. I've always had free-floated barrels but perhaps older rifles need these for harmonics? Edit: the reason I bring this up is I'm wondering if the added pressure on the barrel from the suppressor will have a drastic impact on how these humps effect the harmonics and movement of the barrel? I'd hate to spend a couple hundred to have it threaded to find that it trashed the barrel.

I figure I'd have upwards of 500-2000 into this gun depending on if I have to re-barrel....then restock.....then refinish....etc. So is it better to sell and look for a new short-er rifle?

Sorry for the long post but I had 20 hours to ponder this issue over the weekend while I was in cont. ed. courses!

Last edited:

woods89

WKR
I've gone the route of customizing an M7. Be forewarned that aftermarket options are more limited. Mine has been rebarreled, restocked, and re-bottom metaled, and it finally points nicely. If I could go back to the start I'd probably use a platform with more aftermarket support. My project happened one part at a time, and you know how that goes!

That said, it has worked really well after all that work. Its nothing like it was in the beginning. It points like an extension of my arm and is very accurate.

If you keep it, the first thing I would do is free float the barrel real well.

I’ve got a fully worked over model 7(new barrel, new stock, new trigger, 4th mount hole drilled etc.)

You’d be money ahead selling it to someone who will appreciate it the way it is and start with something closer to what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Afhunter1

WKR
I’ve got a few customized models 7’s. They are a great rifle but if I was you I’d sell it and pass it on to a collector that will value it. Then you could prob find a nice howa all set up the way you want. Look at the new Super lite it will prob be cheaper but just as good of a shooter as the model 7 and already has a good trigger and threaded barrel.

I bought a Model 7 as a base for a custom build, and it unfortunately was too far out of spec for the smith to blueprint it to his standards. I had already purchased a ton of parts to build a M7, so I ended up with a Defiance anTi in the M7 footprint, and I'm super pleased with the results. Manners will inlet the EH8+ for the M7, Badger makes AICS DBM, and Timney has a great M7 trigger. I was looking for the shortest suppressed package I could make while still reaching my ballistic goals. I ended up with a really compact 300wsm that weighs 7.9 pounds with glass and can, and pushes 162s at 3150 with 22" of barrel. I have been down the light profile barrel with a can road before, and it didn't really work well until I tried it with Tikkas. I prefer a Proof for suppressor use, it just seem to handle the weight better. That being said, I just finished a 700 short action build, and its so hard to ignore just how much is available for that footprint.

After getting a barreled action rem model 7 I am starting to see the cost and availability to make it what I want it to be will be greater than just getting something closer or ready to go.

OP
Kindo

Kindo

WKR
I bought a Model 7 as a base for a custom build, and it unfortunately was too far out of spec for the smith to blueprint it to his standards. I had already purchased a ton of parts to build a M7, so I ended up with a Defiance anTi in the M7 footprint, and I'm super pleased with the results. Manners will inlet the EH8+ for the M7, Badger makes AICS DBM, and Timney has a great M7 trigger. I was looking for the shortest suppressed package I could make while still reaching my ballistic goals. I ended up with a really compact 300wsm that weighs 7.9 pounds with glass and can, and pushes 162s at 3150 with 22" of barrel. I have been down the light profile barrel with a can road before, and it didn't really work well until I tried it with Tikkas. I prefer a Proof for suppressor use, it just seem to handle the weight better. That being said, I just finished a 700 short action build, and its so hard to ignore just how much is available for that footprint.
Thanks for the input. That’s kind of what I was afraid of.

I guess I’ll just be keeping it as is and maybe buying more of what I want for my purposes.

Thanks again

OP
Kindo

Kindo

WKR
Thanks for the input everyone. Looks like I’ll just be adding another one to the stable. Awe shucks…

I have been a huge fan of the light weight fs and ks model 7 guns since they came out and own 6 now and hunt with a 308 fs every year in the Saskatchewan bush where a 150 yard shot is a long poke.I have been very happy with mine and just love the short barrel and quick handling of those rifles.But the only reason I responded to this thread is those light little guns are quite a bit harder to group well with than a heavier rig.

I have a M Seven KS in 7-08. I textured, added additional sockets and re-painted the stock and sent it to be chopped to 16.5” and threaded. The rifle shot ok but I’d picked up 260 Rem rifles for my kids. So, the model seven is at the smith right now waiting on a 260 barrel to be installed. I’ll cerakote and hunt with it. I was never comfortable past about 300 with that factory barrel and so it should shoot better and recoil less.

If mine had been unmolested I’d have sold it for a premium and just bought another tikka and stocked it.

OP
Kindo

Kindo

WKR
Well, my daughter was able to punch her first tag with this gun so I guess it won’t be going anywhere. For such a compact rifle, it sure shoots well and I guess I was crazy to consider modifying it. My daughter dropped him on the spot at 90 yards and I tipped a doe at 256. Time to start dialing a good load for it and really test it.
B62AC67A-EF5C-4163-A005-5DAD8E2099A3.jpeg