WY 54-2 Elk

Well the WY elk deadline is here and gone. I decided to burn the points this year and put in for a 54-2 tag (restricted to only North of the Clark R and season runs from Oct 1-31st). I'm just seeing if any of you have hunted on this type 2 tag in 54 in the past and how was your experience? It's rather limited entry with only 24 tags issued and I'm having difficulty finding other hunters' past experience for this particular tag. Most all of the 54 info I'm seeing out there pertains to the coveted 54-1 tag (region south of Clark R and season goes late into Nov for the migration hunts).

Just inquiring about general experience if you've hunted on this type 2 tag. Speaking with the biologist and local game warden the resident elk are there; just have to put in the work.

Feel free to PM me directly.

Good luck to all in the draw!

OP
Green_Back
Regarding e-scouting, GoogleEarth and other mapping apps. I'm well aware of what I'm looking at and where the elk habitat will be. Finding the elk I don't think will be an issue, extraction may play a challenge however. It's relatively a small hunting area with only a few big drainages but very steep terrain and certainly enough bears around to keep ones head on a swivel. I don't anticipate an easy hunt but I've never had an easy high country hunt.

Just seeing what other guys may have experienced on this tag and the quality of bulls in the area historically.

I'll likely be able to sneak out there this summer for a few days to scout the country... assuming a tag is secured.

Last edited:
It’s a decent tag. Expect 330-340 type bulls but definitely a possibility for a giant sleeper bull. Plenty of grizzlies in that area as well.

My friend and I are thinking of doing this same hunt in 2023. Looking forward to hearing your experience