WY Antelope 89, 93, or 59?

jonny5

Lil-Rokslider
Howdy guys,

Just hoping to get some opinions on these three units for speedgoats. I have 5 NR points, and it looks like I can probably draw 59 or 93 if they don't drop tag quotas too much this year. Looking at the regular draw for the rifle hunt. I should be guaranteed 89. I would only be a 2-3 hours from any of these units, so I'd be able to scout some. Any thoughts on trophy quality and # of animals expect? I've spent a tiny bit of time in all 3 units, but not enough to amount to much. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

jonny5

2rocky

WKR
I've only driven through the units you are talking about. Success rates look real good on all 3 of them

Looks like 59 is pretty Checkerboarded, as is the Southern end of 93 so maybe a look at access might be worthwhile before putting all the hopes on one area.

OP
jonny5

jonny5

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the feedback, 2rocky. It looks like there is a decent amount of blm/state land in each that's away from the checkerboard stuff. Especially on the north end of 93.

Anyone on here harvested a speedgoat on any of these units?

jonny5

Last edited:

magpie

Banned
I've been on hunts on both units. Regarding the checkerboard land most of it is opened to the public for hunting. It's a toss up which unit is better, they are both great and each have their own qualities to add to the hunt. If you have any questions you can PM me and I can point in the right direction.

Historically the best unit of the bunch has been Unit 59, followed by 93 and finally Unit 89. With that said, it's hard not to have a fun hunt in Wyoming, even in some of the poorest areas.

I too have been VERY concerned about the moisture situation. Recent reports I am getting out of Utah and SW Wyoming is that the moisture has been quite good this winter and it's been a mild winter so far. I am feeling far more optimistic about antlered game, and in fact a few days ago changed my application in Utah for elk from "points" only to try to draw the unit I have 19 points invested in.

Antelope on the other hand begin their horn growth in November, so they are more influenced by the prior year's moisture as any game is. In the winter months, the "tops" of the antelope horns are grown and that will definitely influence the score, as you need good tops for a record book buck. With that said though, from what I am hearing, I think it could be a better year than what many are expecting, especially if there is good spring moisture. My gut is it will be as good if not better than last year, and we found a couple pretty nice antelope bucks in Wyoming last year. This year we are "in" for Wyoming antelope.

As far as Unit 59, I have hunted it a grand total of one day and we killed two nice bucks. As Magpie said the checkerboard on Unit 59 was not an issue at that time (2006). The warden told us that it was for the most part accessible and they would not ticket us (railroad or gas/oil land I recall). Please do your own homework though. I remember the area we were in, the antelope were so docile and unspooked, I was almost paranoid we must be doing something wrong...lol.

Have a great hunt, no hunt is more fun than hunting antelope in Wyoming.

OP
jonny5

jonny5

Lil-Rokslider
Howdy guys,

thanks for all the replies! I think I'm leaning toward 59. There are a lot less tags given out for the unit, which I like (hopefully less overall pressure?). For those of you that have hunted 59, did you go out on the opener, or wait until the first weekend or two passed by and start to hunt around Oct 1? It looks like this hunt will start around Sept 20 and I think it ends at the end of October.

Also, are there any good spots to set up a simple base camp? I'd love to keep expenses down if at all possible and I love to camp anyway.

Thanks again for the comments. I look forward to hearing what you guys think!

Magpie, I sent you a PM.

jonny5

Last edited:
OP
jonny5

jonny5

Lil-Rokslider
Also, would there be any good spots to go after antelope with archery tackle? Maybe any good waterholes to sit?

Thanks,

jonny5

My number one recommendation on Wyoming antelope hunting....DONT HUNT THE OPENER!!!

Lol

We've hunted Wyoming antelope a number of times (like 8 or 10 times). We have found it best to begin after the second weekend, ideally on weekdays. If that is around the first part of October, that is ideal, because a lot of the general deer seasons will be open and the hunters will be chasing deer.

I have never been disappointed going later. On the other hand, hunting the opening day zoo can be pretty annoying.

OP
jonny5

jonny5

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the confirmation, Umpqua Hunter! Lol...sounds like you've had some interesting experiences in the past!

Thanks for sharing.

jonny5

OP
jonny5

jonny5

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, I'm officially put in for 59. I'll let you know if I'm lucky enough to draw. Good luck to everyone else in the draws!

jonny5

OP
jonny5

jonny5

Lil-Rokslider
No speedgoat tag for me this year...the 5 points weren't enough for 59! Bummed.

jonny5