WY Antelope & Deer

If I remember correctly, the WY antelope and deer seasons overlap. If that's the case, would it reasonable to both in one trip or would it be better to concentrate on one or the other? I suspect how much time a person has plays into it but lets say for a week for a antelope unit with a couple points.

Correct, this past year we hunted both, the season did overlap in the area we hunted. Actually done well. First day two mule deer bucks, not monsters but nice deer, and a antelope. The second day rain and a lot of it we hunted but no shots took. The next two days snowed in no hunting, final day hard hunting in the 14 plus inches of snow but managed too more mule deer does. There is no doubt that if the weather would of cooperated a bit we would of tagged out. So five day hunt, bad weather three of the five days and five tags filled for me says it is possible. Our plan was too attempt for the deer first, then goats, but you never know what might be in the cross hairs. Hopefully will draw tags for 2023 and going too do it all over again. Hunt is all ready set up for then. Good Luck.

BuzzH

WKR
This comes up a lot.

If it were me, I wouldn't do both unless you, and your hunting party are committed to a full 10 days of hunting, in particular if you want solid representatives of both species.

Too often, a handful of tags get filled and then there's pressure to "get back home" for all kinds of reasons from those that are done. Then, the remaining hunters either eat tags or fill them with sub-par animals.

Another thing to figure out beforehand is what you're going to do with an animal you kill on day one, and then continue to hunt the other for 5-6-10-12 days. The over-lapping seasons are often not that close together or it takes a lot of time to turn up a truly nice animal.

I've always given the advice to hunt either deer or pronghorn and do the tags you draw justice. Trying to cram 2-3 species into one hunt has challenges and typically one or the other suffer or in some cases both.

Its possible to do both in one trip and if you have a solid plan go for it.

FLS

WKR
You can do it if you have enough time and are a little familiar with where you’re going to hunt.

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
I've done the combo the last several years, and our group of 4-5 hunters does as well. Had fun and success doing it. The area we hunt has decent size antelope and we aren't horn hunting. With 7 days planned for the hunt I say go for it. Add some variety into the hunt.

Jimss

WKR
I agree with Buzz. Spread the fun out over 2 years rather than being stressed trying to fill both tags the same year.

H

Huntkook

If I remember correctly, the WY antelope and deer seasons overlap. If that's the case, would it reasonable to both in one trip or would it be better to concentrate on one or the other? I suspect how much time a person has plays into it but lets say for a week for a antelope unit with a couple points.
I did both last year. I allocated two weeks for that hunt, one week would be to much and you wouldn't enjoy yourself as much.

FlareBlitz91

Lil-Rokslider
Allocate time and I’d for sure focus on deer first then tack on a couple days of antelope if you still have time.