WY Antelope Late Hunt

I have a ID elk hunt lined up this year therefore, I’ve been debating crossing state lines into WY for a reduced price doe/fawn Hunt. I’m planning on taking 25+ days of leave however, the only limiting facts is the goat hunt would have to be after 1 Nov (military service commitment). I have a few units in mind but would like to bounce my ideas off someone more knowledgeable.

I can PM if need be.

TNT

Since you will only be hunting does going late shouldn't be a problem other than the later you go the more likely you will run into bad weather that will make it tough or impossible to get around. Also, make sure to find out from the local bio if the antelope in the unit you plan to hunt will actually be there and not migrate out to another unit if winter hits.

Just a suggestion, if you talk to a Wyoming biologist about hunting antelope does late, don't use the word "migrate". Just ask about "seasonal movements" that may cause the antelope to be in different areas later in the season vs. early in the season.

ClearCreek

wytx

WKR
We hunt an area that goes until Nov. 14 and is a wintering area, antelope move in late.
It is a ways from the western state line though.

pm sent

OP
Tips n Tails
Oregonmuley, Good copy sir. Great advice on the weather also. I imagine in Nov the weather can be pretty nasty out on the sagebrush flats.

Clear creek, I appreciate the tip. Last week when using the “search” function of the this forum I came across a few other posts from you. Definitely have some solid knowledge.

Jimss

WKR
As mentioned above weather can be a factor in November. Not only drifting snow but also mud! Chains and a couple shovels are a good idea any time of year in areas with gumbo mud. As mentioned above some areas in Wyo may have lots of antelope in Sept but antelope tend to migrate out of them later in the season if there is snow. Some years this may be earlier than others and a lot depends upon which areas get the deepest snow.

In regard to units, some have more public access than others. Areas with a lot of private and few scattered public acres may tend to have antelope spooked off the few patches of public....especially the first couple weeks of the season. If there are multiple seasons it may extend hunting pressure and the antelope may know where they are safe. Generally most antelope hunters don't venture far off roads but it may take a little more work in units with lots of tags and less public land. Some areas with lots of flat, open country the antelope may be wound up pretty good and run at the sight of a vehicle. Some ranchers may allow access to their land for does. It may be worth knocking on a door or 2?

wytx

WKR
I've found by late season they are more settled and looking to endure the winter. Vast herds may or may not take off when they spot you.
However, we've also seen giant herd take off in a cloud of dust and snow. They do tend to stay in their area and make a giant circle back to where they felt safe . Can't say how many times we, or I, have made a stalk over and over in the same giant circle following a herd to get a shot.
Doe hunting access is easier to get, never hurts to ask.