WY antelope Unit 52-1 NR with 5 ppts? First timer.

Viper

FNG
First time putting in for WY antelope. I've been researching for quite some time and it's kind of overwhelming choosing an area with decent public access and 5 points, not knowing the areas. Is there a decent chance this year, to draw unit 52-1 NR with an average of 5 ppts? (My brother and I will be applying together). We just want a good hunt with plenty of bucks to look over. We won't be very picky, just looking for a solid representative buck...70+ ? How about 52-2? The neighboring units look like a very slim chance of drawing. Any other suggestions? I realize tags are reduced this year, point creep, and talk of new rule changes, etc...hard to predict how the draw will pan out. Thank you for any input/experience.

j_volt

WKR
You won't be close in 052-1 in the regular draw. You have a small chance in the special for 052-1, but I wouldn't count on it.

However, you can always get lucky in the random draw!

conley417

Lil-Rokslider
You won't be close in 052-1 in the regular draw. You have a small chance in the special for 052-1, but I wouldn't count on it.

However, you can always get lucky in the random draw!

He would have been 100% in the special last year with 5 points. So with point creep and reduced tags maybe less than 50% this year?

OP
V

Viper

FNG
Any other suggestions? NR with 5 ppts. If I am not drawn, am I awarded a pref point or do I still have to buy it? In AZ we are awarded a point when not drawn. Do you only loose points if drawn for your 1st choice?

j_volt

WKR
Any other suggestions? NR with 5 ppts. If I am not drawn, am I awarded a pref point or do I still have to buy it? In AZ we are awarded a point when not drawn. Do you only loose points if drawn for your 1st choice?
You have to buy a point after the draw. It opens 7/1 to buy points.

You don't lose your points unless you draw your 1st choice.

mhabiger

FNG
You have better odds of drawing 52-2 and would mostly likely draw 52-2 special if you can afford the added cost. Hunting is restricted to the southern half the unit though.

The quota was reduced by 50 tags for 1 and 2 type hunts so 52-2 special is likely your best bet.

Primal215

FNG
Did you get the 52 type 2 tag?