WY application help for NR

Bagel_7

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, still a rookie at applications and application strategy.

I've decided I want to hunt WY next year for both deer and antelope. I have 4 pref. points for deer and 2 for antelope.

The unit I want to hunt is 100% with 1 point it looks like for antelope and I don't mind using my preference points. However, if I hunt the same area, which would be region B for deer, it looks like a 70% draw odds with 0 pref. points. I don't want to burn my points if I don't have to.

Could I put this as a 2nd choice and not burn my points? Would I still even be able to draw? I guess I don't really know how to use the WY F&G website, maybe I need to fork over the cash for GO Hunt. Anyway, just looking for advice here. Thanks everyone.

wapitibob

WKR
You only need to look at the random odds. Just remember 1st choice is active for the pref point side and then the random side so it's possible to draw your 1st choice in the random if there is a large tag quota.

Random odds report ->

Quota minus 1st choice apps = remaining tags for 2nd choice

Attachments

• WY-2014-2ND choice odds.jpg
    WY-2014-2ND choice odds.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 48
i think you would probably draw deer region B 2nd choice. not sure if its worth it though, big drought bunch of skinny deer herds is what I have heard.

AustinR

FNG
GoHunt definitely makes things easier for me, if you can shell out the money. You just have to make sure you wait till they update the odds for the current year, to get a more accurate prediction. I believe they are working on the news odds now.

LaHunter

WKR
If you draw your 1st choice option, all your points are 'burned' for that species.
If you draw your 2nd choice, it costs no points.

Last year no one drew region B second choice in the regular draw, but you were guaranteed second choice if you entered the special draw, if you wanna fork over that kind of cash. goHUNT doesn't have the 2020 odds up yet for WY deer, but you can access them on the WGFD website.

What you should do is put in for the “Special Draw” quota. It costs a few hundred bucks more but find a unit with highly unlikely odds as NR as your first choice for deer like area 130 as first choice which you almost certainly would never draw as you don’t have enough pref. Points and they rarely issue random draw tags. This will protect your preference points, then put in for region B “Special Draw” which was 100% last year as 2nd choice.