WY application process

kda082

WKR
Hoping to submit my applications this weekend for self and son. My intent is to put him in for a non-res youth buck, and put self in for a doe tag. The WY sight is extremely informative but want to confirm what I think I know. I can input us as a party, but will that lower our chances? We each have 2 pp, after looking at the draw odds I get the impression that you really need 5 or more to be competitive in the better units. Is the strategy to input choice 1 as a gamble on better unit and 2 and 3 as 100% draws? So the 1 automatically uses the preference points or does it give you the option? When looking at the quotas on does it seems like it's a longshot as 2nd or 3rd choice even in the Eastern units. Not sure how or when we'll do this again as he'll be in college soon. Perhaps just burn our 2 pts to assure access in an okay unit or maybe just submit him this year solo. Planning on staying E to have less drive time from KS and more hunt time. Starting to get a grasp on this, but unsure what the application process is like and don't want to screw it up or lessen his chances. Thanks

I've got 4 points in WY for antelope. I made the same determination that you did, well basically. My first choice or the PP draw was for the unit I'm saving for and the following two (random draw?) were for units with high chances to draw with 0 points. My reasoning is that I hopefully draw either way but that I might get lucky and get the better unit first.

I tried the party thing and from what I can tell is that the PP are split between the party in the draw or they used to be when I was looking into it. Never been able to get anyone to go with so I scrapped the idea.

jdubrr

Lil-Rokslider
i'm pretty sure 1st choice will use your points. Applying as a party doesn't necessarily lower your odds since you both have 2 points each party apps will average the points of all the applicants.

wytx

WKR
The doe app and buck app are separate drawings and applications. You can not party on just him applying for a buck and you a doe.
Doe tags also do not take PP and are a random draw.
Part apps must have all party members applying for the same licenses.

pm sent

OP
kda082

kda082

WKR
That makes sense WYTX, thanks again! I'll submit his and mine separate. He's the priority here and there were plenty of good E WY units that I think he can get into. So for my doe picks i'll just put 1-2-3 the same as his and roll the dice. I'm good not drawing them as we'll have fun either way. Thanks guys. I like the WY system, but for a KS guy who just buys "any deer" and doe tags it's a lot of info.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I "think" the random draw only looks at your first choice? Also tags that have odds of drawing at 0pt are in reference to 1st choice also, the only way you draw a second choice tag is if its a unit that has tags left after everyone who put that down as first choice get it. That's how I understand it at least but could be off on the random only looking at first?

I "think" the random draw only looks at your first choice? Also tags that have odds of drawing at 0pt are in reference to 1st choice also, the only way you draw a second choice tag is if its a unit that has tags left after everyone who put that down as first choice get it. That's how I understand it at least but could be off on the random only looking at first?
I thought the PP draw was only for first choice and random was for the 2nd and 3rd.
On 2 and 3 I looked for the easiest to draw which were the worst units for Public Access and and they both had more tags left than were put in for at those 2nd and 3rd choices. Don't tell me I screwed this up cause if I blew 4 points on a crap unit I am going to lose it!

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The draw splits off 75% of the tags to highest preference points (first choice) and IF there are any leftover go to second choice folks (I think randomly assigned?). Most tags don't have tags left.

25% of the tags are a random draw and I "think" only your first choice is considered here but that's the part I'm not 100% about.

Its my interpretation (open for correction) that unless your you pick a second (or third) tag that has tags leftover after filling everyone that picked that for first choice you won't draw squat. I'm unclear if you're saying you considered if there were any tags after first choices were filled in full or if you're assuming 25% went to second and third choices?

You can modify your application up to May 31 so if you screwed anything up you can correct it still.

Last edited:

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Example looking at unit 1 regular draw. The PP draw had 141 tags which is 75% of the quota, 25% or 47tags slated for random. So the PP draw runs and at the end there are 125 tags for 186 zero point applicants, so there are 61 first choice applicants without a tag after the PP draw is run. 47 of those folks get a random tag. No tags make it on to second or third choices is my understanding.

wapitibob

WKR
You apply for either the Regular price, Special Price, or Reduced price draw(s).

For Regular and Special, you start in the PP side, 1st choice only, and points will be gone if you draw. After the PP draw is done, everybody that didn't draw moves to the random side = and the 1st choice is still active =. If you draw your 1st choice in the random, your points are gone. After all 1st choices have been looked at, they go to 2nd choices, still in the random side. If you draw your 2nd choice they will not take your points.
Every application goes thru the PP side, even those with zero points; every remaining app goes thru the Random side.

The Reduced price draws do not use points for ranking and points are not taken when drawn.

You have till May 31 to edit your apps.

Last edited:

cnelk

WKR
Something else I found out is your 2nd Choice on the RP tags must be a different hunt code than the 1st Choice in either the First or Second Drawing

You cant do this:

FIRST DRAWING
1st Choice 2nd Choice
Hunt Area Type Hunt Area Type
XYZ 06 XYZ 06

cnelk

WKR
^^^^ Correct.
But it was just to test the system to see if it acknowledged the 2nd choice was available if 1st choice wasnt drawn.

This is not to be confused with the FIRST Drawing and SECOND Drawing.

OP
kda082

kda082

WKR
Hey guys, thanks for all the advice. Got both of our applications submitted. Took less than 10 mins. And that’s with me constantly going back to confirm I input correctly. Simple site with so much info. Just gotta dive in. Looking forward to seeing and walking around some beautiful country.