WY Corner crossing update

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
the beauty (and the ugliness) of the federal system is it lets you judge shop- the anti hunting wolf/grizzly folks have certainly figured that out, maybe hunters can finally turn it to good use

boy you just gotta love mega-millionaires from out of state don't you :rolleyes:

Bighorner

WKR
At the national level, BHA is pretty worthless. They get a major win spear headed by a a state chapter and Land wants to tap the breaks.

"However, even Tawney and BHA are not calling for an outright legalization of corner crossing across the West. Tawney, a fifth-generation Montanan, says the answer to the corner-crossing dilemma is more about finding compromise solutions than changing the law in one fell swoop."

At the national level, BHA is pretty worthless. They get a major win spear headed by a a state chapter and Land wants to tap the breaks.

"However, even Tawney and BHA are not calling for an outright legalization of corner crossing across the West. Tawney, a fifth-generation Montanan, says the answer to the corner-crossing dilemma is more about finding compromise solutions than changing the law in one fell swoop."

Their silence on tackling certain issues on a federal level is deafening. Corner crossing on federal land is certainly within the purview of the feds, and I see no reason why easements to access landlocked federal land shouldn’t be under the purview of eminent domain.

Same shit with the Wyoming wilderness law. They should sue to pull every outfitter permit on federal wilderness until Wyoming repeals the law. It’s commercial activity right? Seems there could be a good legal argument commercial activity shouldn’t be happening in wilderness areas anyway.

I’d love to see the backlash against WYOGA from outfitters in other states if someone filed suit to do just that.

But BHA won’t touch either with a ten foot pole. Too busy with the pint nights to play hardball in DC I guess.

Meanwhile the anti’s and the outfitter lobbyists aren’t wasting any time.

I’m not saying they are all bad. I don’t personally care for their liberal tendencies, but I could tolerate it if they stood up to some of the true threats facing hunting, shit like pay to play and outfitter welfare a bit more.

ETA WYOGA is currently in the process of setting aside 50% of NR tags for outfitters on top of their BS wilderness law, meanwhile Land Tawny is worried about the skin color or gender identity of new hunters.

Last edited:
I can’t believe that this is even a debate. I would like to hear a rational argument against corner crossing.

Anybody I’ve seen who is against it has a vested interest in keeping sole access to public land for their own private use.

and I see no reason why easements to access landlocked federal land shouldn’t be under the purview of eminent domain.
I do its called private property rights eminant domain doesnt apply in this case.
As far as the wilderness law thats with in wyomings legal right to set the rules /laws of access lands within its border includeing federal land no ones denying you or anyone access you you can access any & all federal land in wyoming you just need a guide for certain activities

I do its called private property rights eminant domain doesnt apply in this case.
As far as the wilderness law thats with in wyomings legal right to set the rules /laws of access lands within its border includeing federal land no ones denying you or anyone access you you can access any & all federal land in wyoming you just need a guide for certain activities
Come on everyone knows the wilderness rule in WY is BS. It’s legal, but it is still BS. It creates a market advantage for a specific industry. I would propose that outfitters don’t really need that advantage in WY, plenty of demand for outfitted hunts there these days. Best I can tell most reputable outfitters are booked out pretty far. But considering the fact that WY has declared all out war against DIY non resident hunters, I doubt it will ever change. Honestly I wouldn’t shed a tear if the feds deemed “outfitting” a commercial activity and banned it in wilderness areas. Doubt that changes either as we watch outfitters carve out special draws or concessions in states like NM, WY, and MT.

Wags

WKR

That’s the part that’s hard to swallow. I can hike it , no problems. But if I have a rifle in my hand I can be cited for not having a “guide.” There’s no selling that rule in any way shape or form that will make any semblance of rationale to any NR. It’s a rule specifically designed to financially benefit outfitters but sold to benefit resident hunters.

ethan

WKR
That’s the part that’s hard to swallow. I can hike it , no problems. But if I have a rifle in my hand I can be cited for not having a “guide.” There’s no selling that rule in any way shape or form that will make any semblance of rationale to any NR. It’s a rule specifically designed to financially benefit outfitters but sold to benefit resident hunters.

Exactly! You can hike it, overnight in it, take pics of wildlife, flowers, do yoga, worship crystals, whatever you like, but you can't hunt it. By the way....we have outfitters that get paid to take you hunting standing by if you'd like to do so......

It's crap!

kleinpm

FNG
Exactly! You can hike it, overnight in it, take pics of wildlife, flowers, do yoga, worship crystals, whatever you like, but you can't hunt it. By the way....we have outfitters that get paid to take you hunting standing by if you'd like to do so......

It's crap!
You can hunt.....just not big game. So I can hunt grouse in wilderness, but not elk.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Okhotnik

WKR

Is Land and BHA still pushing their gun ban BS? Shame they don't do what they advertise. I quite years ago after going to meetings years ago when half the members wanted to ban predator hunting and trapping.

Okhotnik

WKR
Does eminent domain apply to rivers and lakes too that are managed with our tax dollars?

S.Clancy

WKR
That's interesting. The airspace thing never made sense to me and I doubt it does to any practical person. Given the property line is infinitesimally small, would not the fence/chain/post intrude (trespass) on public airspace? Or, a better comparison, if I hold my hand out over a fence walking down a sidewalk, am I trespassing on that owner's property? No reasonable person would say yes. I hope they have donors to their legal cause to take this as far as it needs to go.

That's interesting. The airspace thing never made sense to me and I doubt it does to any practical person. Given the property line is infinitesimally small, would not the fence/chain/post intrude (trespass) on public airspace? Or, a better comparison, if I hold my hand out over a fence walking down a sidewalk, am I trespassing on that owner's property? No reasonable person would say yes. I hope they have donors to their legal cause to take this as far as it needs to go.

I really hope they have more behind the scenes than just the gofundme as well. BHA should put their $ where their mouth is and support more than just the WY chapter guys putting up a gofundme.

Doesn't look like there has been much for funds rolling in since they said they'd basically spent the balance and needed more $ for the civil case. I re-upped. https://www.gofundme.com/f/corner-crossing-legal-fee-fundraiser

S.Clancy

WKR
I really hope they have more behind the scenes than just the gofundme as well. BHA should put their $ where their mouth is and support more than just the WY chapter guys putting up a gofundme.

Doesn't look like there has been much for funds rolling in since they said they'd basically spent the balance and needed more $ for the civil case. I re-upped. https://www.gofundme.com/f/corner-crossing-legal-fee-fundraiser
Yea, you would think the money would be better spent on something of this magnitude than on college tuition for some idealist brat...but that's prob me just frustrated with current events.

Yea, you would think the money would be better spent on something of this magnitude than on college tuition for some idealist brat...but that's prob me just frustrated with current events.

Just looked at their website and 2021 annual report. They had the Wyoming corner crossing deal as their #1 win for 2021. I surely don't know the happenings of everything behind the scenes but it seems like the national org is taking a lot of credit for work done by a few members in WY like Buzz and Jeff and a gofundme that I can't believe was primarily successful due to BHA involvement. The gofundme didn't need to be started by a BHA chapter for it to get noticed and shared by Rinella and Newberg and I'd bet Robby and Avery had a moment of pause BECAUSE OF BHA affiliation before Rokslide social shared it to followers.

Just hard to look at $4,418,714 spent on policy advocacy, Habitat Stewardship, and Education and not think they could cut spending on something in order to foot the bill for these hunters. Maybe they are, behind the scenes. One would think the counter civil suit puts the hunters more at risk of paying even more Eshelman legal costs if they lose so maybe that is a sign they got more financial firepower behind them now.

S.Clancy

WKR
Just looked at their website and 2021 annual report. They had the Wyoming corner crossing deal as their #1 win for 2021. I surely don't know the happenings of everything behind the scenes but it seems like the national org is taking a lot of credit for work done by a few members in WY like Buzz and Jeff and a gofundme that I can't believe was primarily successful due to BHA involvement. The gofundme didn't need to be started by a BHA chapter for it to get noticed and shared by Rinella and Newberg and I'd bet Robby and Avery had a moment of pause BECAUSE OF BHA affiliation before Rokslide social shared it to followers.

Just hard to look at $4,418,714 spent on policy advocacy, Habitat Stewardship, and Education and not think they could cut spending on something in order to foot the bill for these hunters. Maybe they are, behind the scenes. One would think the counter civil suit puts the hunters more at risk of paying even more Eshelman legal costs if they lose so maybe that is a sign they got more financial firepower behind them now.
Someone who's a member should put in a request to see the financial contributions of BHA to that cause....I'm curious as to the extent, if any, that it was.

Not defending the rule...

But when Yellowstone campgrounds close, I can still wilderness camp in Yellowstone.

Who benefits from that?