WY Deadline Is Coming

For those of you wanting to try to draw antelope in WY, the deadline is the end of this month. Don’t delay!

Last year I unfortunately missed the WY elk point deadline for my youth son & it cost me taking him to WY this year for that back country elk hunt with my friend who lives in Cody. Missed the draw by 1 point. Thankfully I’ve got one more chance next year before he turns 18 & the price of the tag goes up significantly.

I did have a “legitimate”excuse though for missing......whitetail rut hunt with no internet service.

I have no place to hunt in Wyoming. Are outfitters still available? or should I just apply for a public land tag? But I really need an outfitter..

OP
Bigdawgridge
I’m sure you could find an outfitter still but that’s some important research to do on your own. Make sure you research well!

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
Why an outfitter? Public land hunting is great and pronghorn are abundant.
+1
My experience pronghorn hunting Wyoming has been a lot like my experience picking out a Christmas tree. You could often tag out five minutes into legal shooting light if so inclined.

If you want a trophy animal an outfitter could help with the scouting and field judging, but I've also heard stories of guides telling a client to shoot when they wanted the hunt to be over, then preying on the client's lack of knowledge to convince them the average goat they dropped was one for the record books. Pronghorn are easy to hunt and hard to judge.

scrubs

FNG
Looks like I missed the deadline. Is it possible to buy more than one point per year? I don`t know anything about applying for out of state hunts, this was going to be my first try.

mahnster

FNG
Looks like I missed the deadline. Is it possible to buy more than one point per year? I don`t know anything about applying for out of state hunts, this was going to be my first try.

You can only buy one point per year. July 1 - October 31 is when you can buy a preference point.

bdan68

WKR

No, only 1 point per year. You can apply for a leftover tag in July, if you really want to hunt this year.

scrubs

FNG
Thanks mahnster & bdan68 for clarifying that. I`ll look into the left over tag draw.

blutooth

Lil-Rokslider
I have zero points and applied for a 0% chance unit as a first choice and a 100% draw chance unit as my second choice (the plan all along is get a point and hopefully hunt in my second choice). So just for grins I checked results today and I see that I now have 1 preference point. I am assuming that means they did the draw and I did not get my first choice - as expected. Anyone else apply with just a first choice? Curious to see if this is a valid backdoor (since I also applied for a 50% chance at a mule deer and I don't have any points there yet)...

bdan68

WKR
I don't think the draw has been done yet. I believe it's actually done the same day the results are posted. But, I could be wrong.

Also, you can't get a point during the application process anymore. You have to buy your points later.

zacattack

WKR
The wait is agonizing. I was so excited being my first year to apply for a west hunt, that I put my application in the very first day they were open. Seems like years ago