WY Dilemna and Points--Need Advice--PLEASE

Jdog

WKR
Gents - brother and I both have 4 pref pts for WY elk. I have never hunted in WY and with Uncle Sam moving me to FL 1.5 yrs ago from CO and deployments, I no longer can scout easily out west--if at all.

In reviewing Eastman's MRS...we can more than likely draw a few green chip units with 4 pts--6, 19, 38, 47, 48, 84, 114, 125 in the regular draw. In the special draw, we could likely draw--11, 50 , 120 as well.

If we wait another year and gather a 5th point...we could draw a couple blue chip units in the special drawing--16, 78, 108, 118, 121...with a few others around 50% of drawing.

Is it worth waiting another year and entering the special draw for a hunt in the above mentioned blue chip units?

Will we even be able to draw those or will point creep push those blue chip units requiring 5 pts up to 6 or more?

Thanks!

drthornton

Lil-Rokslider
Wyoming's draw is relatively young and has had not had enough time to shake out the guys that got in on the ground floor. There are 3685 nonresidents with Max Elk Points going into the 2013 drawing(7 points is max for 2013). Point creep will be an issue especially if it's in Eastman's.

Hunterstrailhead.com is a good resource to see the WY point creep. Unfortunately you have to pay for it now but I think it's well worth it if you are in multiple states and multiple species. Course you can do it manually by using the WY draw summaries on the website. Take the past 2-3 years and put it in spreadsheet and do your own rankings.

I'd be happy to look it up for you though...send me a PM if you want me too.

Danny

jags

FNG
Friends of mine put in for 38 every year and only the guys with max points have drawn thus far. I believe odds will still be pretty slim there without max points.

huntwest

Lil-Rokslider
The preference point draw for non-res. in unit 38 went down to a couple people with 3 points drawing last year. If only the same people applied again you would have 29 people with 4 points and 141 with 3 or less points. Another thing to consider Jdog, is the amount of public land and the access to get to the public. Some of the units you have listed will be hard to find access without paying. Best of luck with your choice, and if I can be of help any more just send a pm.

OP
Jdog

Jdog

WKR
The preference point draw for non-res. in unit 38 went down to a couple people with 3 points drawing last year. If only the same people applied again you would have 29 people with 4 points and 141 with 3 or less points. Another thing to consider Jdog, is the amount of public land and the access to get to the public. Some of the units you have listed will be hard to find access without paying. Best of luck with your choice, and if I can be of help any more just send a pm.

pm sent---thank you!

OP
Jdog

Jdog

WKR
Gents - thanks for the inputs!

Stupid me, I didn't realize WY now has some very good data on their webpage...as I have only been applying for pts the last 4 yrs.

Thanks for the info and redirecting me as many of you have.

Please continue to pm me with any inputs you may have.

OP
Jdog

Jdog

WKR
Thanks to all the fellaz that provided opinions, info and inputs.

We have submitted....we shall see.