WY draw question

Is it only your second and third choices of unit hunts that go into the random draw? Thanks!

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I believe that in Wyoming, everyone's first choice is considered before anyone's second, including the random. Basically your first choice is all that matters.

OP
darcytribe
No, your 1st choice is valid in the random as well. The Random demand reports will show 1st and 2nd choices, and the odds for each.
So Wapiti, all three choices are part of the random draw process? Is there a random drawing for all first choices first and then there is a random draw for all second choices, etc...? I'm just trying to understand this process a little more thoroughly. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Last edited:

sasquatch

WKR
wyoming allocates a percentage of tags to random drawing no matter what. Everyone not successful in the pref point draw then goes into the random draw section to compete equally for those allotted tags

OP
darcytribe
Hey Sasquatch,
Yes I was aware of that. I am trying to understand the process of the random draw(s) better, especially how the coorespond with the choices you make on your app. Not sure if that makes sense or not.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Hey Sasquatch,
Yes I was aware of that. I am trying to understand the process of the random draw(s) better, especially how the coorespond with the choices you make on your app. Not sure if that makes sense or not.
If you get picked in the random, your unit choices are attached, but since in Wyoming everyone’s first choice is considered before anyone’s second, in practicality you have one pick, your 1st choice. You second choice would only be picked if there were any tags left after everyone’s first choice was satisfied. If you had a unit that typically has leftover tags as a second, then you could potentially get that. Does that make sense? Maybe someone else can explain it better...

wapitibob

WKR
Assume you're talking full price licenses so, apply for either the Regular draw or the Special draw with 1st and 2nd choice, 3rd if you want it. They look at every 1st choice for a given hunt area till they fill the 75% in the preference point side (sorted most points then PP random number). The PP side is ONLY a 1st choice drawing.
Then, with your 1st choice hunt area still active, everybody remaining for that hunt area has their PP random number swapped out for their random draw random number and they issue licenses based only on that new random number (points aren't used to sort) in the random draw, till they fill the remaining 25%.
After they have gone thru all 1st choice apps, they go thru the random draw 2nd choices, sorted by hunt area then random number and issue any remaining licenses. After they have gone thru all 2nd choices they go to 3rd choices.

Because your 1st choice is still active in the 1st pass of the Random side, you can lose your points (full price license). If you're trying to draw a 2nd choice license by choosing a hard to draw 1st choice, make sure you look at the remaining 1st choice quota and apps remaining on the random demand report.

Last edited:

muddydogs

WKR
Anymore your first choice is all that matters, after the first choice applicants are draw there might be a few tags left for the second choice draw but not many. If a unit happens to make it to the third choice draw you can bet its a unit not worth hunting. A guy used to be able to put in for a hard to draw antelope unit in WY and a somewhat low end unit as second choice knowing that he would get a point for not drawing the first choice and still get a tag on his second choice but nowadays even a low end antelope unit is getting enough first choice applicants that nothing is left for second choice. Unfortunately this trend is not limited to WY but has spread throughout the Western states and they say hunter numbers are falling.

wyosteve

WKR
If memory serves me correctly, the random draw is for everyone who did not already draw based on points. It doesn't matter if it's first, second or third choice. So, in theory a person with 0 points could draw a tag in an area where it required a bunch of points in the preference draw.