WY elk dates bighorns 2021

WI Shedhead

Lil-Rokslider
My group will most likely draw 2021 northern bighorn mountains archery tags in a type 9 unit in 2021. The next week or two I have to put in for my vacation at work and was wondering what everyone’s thoughts were on 2 weeks I should head out thier.
Couple of things- my 71 year old dad is hunting and gets around ok but will not be chasing bugles. Also , if your in to that, the full moon is the 20th.
Any advice is appreciated-

1) August 30- September 5

2) September 6-12

3) September 13-19

4) September 20-26

Thanks!!!!!

FYI- mine and my groups thoughts were weeks 2-3

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I’d go weeks one and two, things are going to get really crowded during week 3 if there are ANY type 1,4,6 type tags. Plus best water sitting opportunity for your dad.

OP
W

WI Shedhead

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t anticipate the sept 15 influx, the units were looking at do not have type 1 hunting in archery season

I hunted the Big Horns with a general tag this year. I traveled there in August to scout and saw a LOT of elk. I hiked 10-15 miles a day trying to find elk Sept 15-24th. I saw very few elk, and no bulls until my 10th day. Almost everyone that I talked to was not seeing or hearing elk. Luckily I finally ran into a couple of bulls on the 10th day. Good luck, I think you'll need it!

I hunted the Big Horns with a general tag this year. I traveled there in August to scout and saw a LOT of elk. I hiked 10-15 miles a day trying to find elk Sept 15-24th. I saw very few elk, and no bulls until my 10th day. Almost everyone that I talked to was not seeing or hearing elk. Luckily I finally ran into a couple of bulls on the 10th day. Good luck, I think you'll need it!

I think this has been a difficult archery season in Wyoming. They're quiet, it's been smokey, hot, and I have no idea what else, but it's been a rough archery season statewide.

KHNC

WKR
The dark moon phase certainly did NOTHING for elk hunting in NM this season.

thnksno

Lil-Rokslider
I would go early. There are so many people with just recreation not including hunting that the elk have formed a small migration pattern off the mtn onto private. I’ve seen it the last 4 years.

jmez

WKR
I'd go week 4. We always do better later in the Bighorns. Yes there is pressure, there is pressure year round in the Bighhorns. Any spot remotely flat enough to have a camper parked on it will have one. Many spots not flat enough to have a camper will have one as well! ATV/human traffic all over until the snow is deep.

First couple weeks of the season will be hot up there. We always do better later when it cools off and our unit has type 1,6,4 tags.

Wellsdw

WKR
It’s a gamble either way. I hunted general archery and it was a freaking madhouse. I was shocked because I had scouted the unit 3 years in a row the first and second weeks of sept. Jumped elk everywhere then. This year was the same before the 15th. Even better actually bc I was down pretty low and that snow I think pushed more down are way. We were away from the crowds the first few days and had great hunting. Then once the crowds pushed the elk out of the easily accessible areas, the people wondered into where we were. The elk did 3 things distinctly by the 18-19th. They shut up, moved at night, and went straight to private. My buddy was sending me pics of elk from his antelope blind set up near private. I’d sweat my ass off the first two weeks if I were you. Hopefully it won’t be dry again next year.

My group will most likely draw 2021 northern bighorn mountains archery tags in a type 9 unit in 2021. The next week or two I have to put in for my vacation at work and was wondering what everyone’s thoughts were on 2 weeks I should head out thier.
Couple of things- my 71 year old dad is hunting and gets around ok but will not be chasing bugles. Also , if your in to that, the full moon is the 20th.
Any advice is appreciated-

1) August 30- September 5

2) September 6-12

3) September 13-19

4) September 20-26

Thanks!!!!!

FYI- mine and my groups thoughts were weeks 2-3
I would go the first 2 weeks. More hunter 2nd and 3rd week

labor day weekend in the bighorns tends to bring in a TON of ATV/SxS riders and campers/RVs. If you go then, plan accordingly.

ElkNut1

WKR
I too have hunted the Bighorns a couple of times! The first week is too dang hot in many years! If I were going in 2021 I'd hunt from the 7th to 20th minimum!
We took this bull around the 9th-10th, don't recall exactly which one! Called him in with Slow Play to under 20 yards!

ElkNut

Attachments

• IMG_0932.JPG
    IMG_0932.JPG
    718.1 KB · Views: 60