WY Elk, what does the future tell us?

CoStick

WKR
It’s going to get real interesting if/when Colorado cuts OTC and/or caps non-res. That has the potential to change elk draws across the entire west.

Same with Idaho, I can’t help but think they have to be looking at the growth of the population and how it’s affecting crowding and at what point there are simply too many elk tags being issued.

Makes a person wonder how long elk interest stays at the rate it’s at currently if “opportunity” tags start to become once every 4+ years.

Do new hunters start to lose interest when just getting a elk tag could be years and years away? Or will the impending recession slow applications down enough that the current odds don’t really change and we are just in a bubble caused by (mostly) social media?
CPW will see about 160 million new dollars next year from the state park pass connected to car registration, so they might cap it at some point.

Warrior10

FNG
If people were honest on YouTube (and the internet in general) about DIY, general tag, public land archery elk hunts; we wouldn’t have this problem.

It’s hard. It sucks most of the time. It’s expensive There’s lots of people. There aren’t a lot of elk. The elk that you do find don’t come running into calls. 95% of DIY out of staters are going to fail on a general season archery tag.

That wouldn’t get clicks and no one would smash your subscribe button. Look at the latest elk101 day by day. It took like something like 7 teams to actually get some content and half of those guys still didn’t punch tags. And they all know what they’re doing, in their own home states.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wonder if the retention rate of "new hunters" gained during this pandemic era will be basically none once they realize how hard it actually is.

ckleeves

WKR
CPW will see about 160 million new dollars next year from the state park pass connected to car registration, so they might cap it at some point.
I’m not sure if the W part of CPW is going to see much of that money. I’m guessing mussel inspection stations (which are important don’t get me wrong) new sand on the swim beaches, some new walking paths around the parks and some extra cash for the new large canines that are coming. Oh and extending all the boat ramps so they actually reach the water at current levels.

CoStick

WKR
I’m not sure if the W part of CPW is going to see much of that money. I’m guessing mussel inspection stations (which are important don’t get me wrong) new sand on the swim beaches, some new walking paths around the parks and some extra cash for the new large canines that are coming. Oh and extending all the boat ramps so they actually reach the water at current levels.
Point being tag revenue isn’t a policy driver these days.

I wonder if the retention rate of "new hunters" gained during this pandemic era will be basically none once they realize how hard it actually is.
YES! Holy $h1t this is nothing like Youtube I’m out! 😂 But you need to factor in the new recruits. It’s a revolving door. So like WapitiBob said the number of applicants keeps going up. I won’t lie though I do get a chuckle out of watching a few hundred guys a year run home like a scalded dog never to think about spending a couple thousand buck to try and find an elk again. It can be more like hunting Bigfoot than the Youtubers make it out to be right.

ColoradoV

WKR
Point being tag revenue isn’t a policy driver these days.

He is right at the CPW allocation recommendation meeting the CPW flat out said not to worry about revenue…. Don’t even let it enter your mind we have the money was the sentiment!!

Or all the “where is the money coming from” arguments are flat invalid at this point due to new moneys available from car registrations and the fact of a huge huge surplus of money Colo has.. Straight from the horses mouth…

The #1 option w overwhelming support that was voted on - was 90-10 resident nr split. Seems finally some fair allocation for Colo residents. #2 option was total eliminateof otc elk tags both resident and nr. Option #3 is to eliminate otc for nr..

These are the recommendations given to the cpw by the working group.. Everyone in the group agreed but one angry outfitter who threw a big fit and was out voted for his efforts 😂. He said to move to 50-50 statewide and was basically laughed off the working group lol. His idea got the least votes or only 1 vote 😆👍!! Times look to be a changin boys……

These ideas in preferential order went to the commission. They will in turn make the proposal that will be shared w public comment and the like before the next 5 year.

Good to see..

Does anyone think the reason money is not an issue with Colorado or any state Game and Fish agency is because the Fed's have been throwing billions at the states for the past 2 years for the virus? I know where I work, there is more federal virus money than we can spend. In the past, I would put projects out to bid, now I use whoever I can get to do the job at whatever price. Money is not the issue where I live.

Yes, it sure sounds to make sense.......but I've just never personally seen recessions affect hunter numbers.......although that would be nice if it did cut back on 50-75% of the elk hunters in CO. I just don't see that happening.

I remember after the 2008 economy crash, there were more people hunting in Oregon than I had ever seen. Same thing happened In 2020 when everything was shut down.

less work seems to equal more time to hunt!

CoStick

WKR
Does anyone think the reason money is not an issue with Colorado or any state Game and Fish agency is because the Fed's have been throwing billions at the states for the past 2 years for the virus? I know where I work, there is more federal virus money than we can spend. In the past, I would put projects out to bid, now I use whoever I can get to do the job at whatever price. Money is not the issue where I live.
Colorado is one of the few stats the gives to government more than it receives. Even prior to the last few years it is a very healthy economy.

Overdrive

WKR
I don't think the 160 million projection will be met. There will be an "opt out" option during registration. I feel they counted their chickens before they hatched on this one.

stonewall

WKR
Haven’t read all the posts. But what would help fix all this is if elk (and pronghorn) could actually be recovered to their historic ranges. Might as well add bison and sheep to that while I’m dreaming…

CoStick

WKR
I don't think the 160 million projection will be met. There will be an "opt out" option during registration. I feel they counted their chickens before they hatched on this one.
They aren’t offering it in an obvious manner so a person would need to know that is an option. I would guess they will get the majority of it. Either way they weren’t dependent on tag revenue previously.

Overdrive

WKR
They aren’t offering it in an obvious manner so a person would need to know that is an option. I would guess they will get the majority of it. Either way they weren’t dependent on tag revenue prev

They aren’t offering it in an obvious manner so a person would need to know that is an option. I would guess they will get the majority of it. Either way they weren’t dependent on tag revenue previously.
This is a screenshot right from the Bill, doesn't seem like they're trying to hide anything. There is still only going to be certain people that buy the pass and now it's $50 less, may be losing money but I guess we'll all find out come 2023 when it goes into affect.Screenshot_20220521-125601.png

CoStick

WKR
This is a screenshot right from the Bill, doesn't seem like they're trying to hide anything. There is still only going to be certain people that buy the pass and now it's $50 less, may be losing money but I guess we'll all find out come 2023 when it goes into affect.View attachment 413060
I don’t doubt that is in the bill. However if they were really serious about public awareness you would have to opt in, not out. Will be interesting to see, but I don’t put much faith in public awareness.