WY Governor, Mark Gordon, Signs 'Migration Corridor' Exec Order

LaHunter

WKR
I just received an email notice from Muley Fanatic with a link about WY Governor, Mark Gordon, recently signing an executive order regarding migration corridors that impact mule deer and antelope. I didn't read every last detail, but it seems that this is a good thing for protecting critical habitat for these two species. From what I read, these migration corridors are critical for mule deer herds. If I understand correctly, when these migration corridors get 'cut off' or disrupted, the herds sort of get stranded and are unable to 'figure out' another route.

elkduds

WKR
As with all legislation, policies and executive orders, informed opinions are based on these 2 factors:

1. Qui Bono, meaning "Who benefits?" Follow the $$$ to see who is paying for the initiative. Those are the beneficiaries.

2. The devil is in the details. Actions labeled as beneficial to wildlife or sportsmen often hide government subsidies to industry, other paybacks by politicians to those who paid for their campaigns, even destruction of habitat and loss of public access. Understand everything in a proposal before supporting it because of the title or sponsor.

This Order, like any other, could be truly designed to do what it claims: in this case to protect essential migration corridors. It could also include a massive handout to the struggling coal industry in WY, or the booming oil/gas industry. Sadly, we have to be skeptical about our legislators.

Read it here: https://www.stl.news/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Draft-Migration-Corridor-Executive-Order.pdf

I do like that the Executive Order was generated by a working group, not just random advisors to the Governor. There was a lot of thought put into this process and after reading the Executive Order, it doesn't seem to establish too many absolutist type decisions, rather a guiding document for each specific migration corridor.

As a guy who appreciates quality rural jobs as well as quality wildlife populations, I figure they did a pretty good job choosing a diverse working group to develop the EO.

Here's who was on it:
John Espy - for counties (Carbon County)
Kathy Lichtendahl - for conservation (Park County)
Maxwell R. Ludington - for recreation (Teton County)
Mike Schmid - for the Game and Fish Commissioners (Lincoln County)
Dan Stanton - for sportsperson’s groups (Sweetwater County)
Marty Stearns - for mining (Sweetwater County)
Marissa Taylor - for agriculture (Uinta County)
Kevin Williams - for oil and gas (Sublette County)

Just my 2 cents.