WY - Looking to burn 7-points - Any advice?

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Love to get some recommendations from WY guys on where to spend my 7 points for WY antelope. Already read Eastmans' and Huntin' Fool...

I'm planning to bowhunt and in my opinion, remote waterholes (far enough off roads that ranchers and rifle hunters scouting won't run goats off) are probably the most productive. I would like to set up cameras on several waterholes to pattern bucks. I'm also open to spot and stalk as needed and terrain permitting. I'm hoping to find a net B&C buck to run an arrow through. If I don't tag out with my bow, I'll return with the 7STW and a vengeance! Feel free to PM if you prefer.

Thanks!

Coop

OP
Rent Outdoor Gear

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
After a lot of research I applied for Unit 57... With any luck I'll draw it. If not, I applied for a couple of "good" second choice units that I should have a chance at, but are not guaranteed 2nd choices. I'm looking forward to chasing speedgoats in the cowboy state.

57 may not be the "top" choice for antelope in WY, but everyone agrees it's a good one. I liked that the terrain was broken and there were a few areas where a guy could get off the beaten path. There are a lot of waterholes on the unit that should provide a decent chance at intercepting a good buck for an archery hunter. I'll deliver a full scouting report when I head over there in late July.

Coop

magpie

Banned
Pretty hard to away from any roads in 57 but theres a lot of antelope and a few B&C goats running around. Good luck. The southern part of the unit would be where I would go....

Hi Coop, I just saw your post. Unit 57 has had a long time reputation as one of the best units in Wyoming. The reports I have gotten the last two years is it was pounded by the winter kill a couple years ago, and the drought more recently and has been hurting. A little further north I understand is doing much better. I think Unit 60 and 61 are probably the two best Units right now and Unit 64 is pretty good as well. If you end up changing your mind, I believe you can edit your app online until the first part of June.

rodney482

WKR
7 pts wow!! Hope you get a stud

I got lucky last year on this 75" goat.. I was using a prototype xbow.

64E247F5-BE5E-4D2D-8E3C-48DAD84851A9-461-0000004A1BBE40AF-1.jpg

OP
Rent Outdoor Gear

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks guys! It should be a fun hunt - I think I'll stick with 57. I talked to a few people and did a LOT of looking on Google prior to applying. I think any of the units you mentioned Umpqua can produce a great hunt for trophy class bucks and I considered them all... I think if my primary goal was a rifle hunt I may have chosen a different unit, but I liked the country in 57. Unfortunately, huntin fool listed it as their #1 choice also so I'm likely to have more competition in the draw than I anticipated. None the less, really looking forward to the challenge!

Nice buck Rodney! Congrats!

Coop

New here, had 57 tag in 2007 and had a great hunt. If you draw let me know if I can help. Killed a official 84 2/8 gross, 83 4/8 net buck on first morning of season after scouting for 3 days.

Rich

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
New here, had 57 tag in 2007 and had a great hunt. If you draw let me know if I can help. Killed a official 84 2/8 gross, 83 4/8 net buck on first morning of season after scouting for 3 days.

Rich

Welcome rich! Remember, without pics it didnt happen;)

HONEYBADGER

Lil-Rokslider
I was out that way last year, I would agree with the other post regarding numbers being down. Goats were in pockets, I think you will have a good hunt but you probably wont see hundreds a day like you would have a few years ago.

Rackmastr

WKR
I've got 7 points as well and will be 8 next year when myself and my wife try to draw. Want to find an area (rifle hunt) that we can get into higher trophy quality and make killing a couple bigger goats a priority. Would love to aim for the 80" mark but we'll see how things go down there!!

Lots of research to do for next year!! Any tips or suggestions would be great!

Good luck this year Darin.