WY More New Changes

jolmaco

FNG
Just wanted to put out there the new bill that WY is proposing is to raise nonresident elk Tags 15% and cut the tags allocated around 50% for 2022. I am hoping this doesn't happen because that will mean my boys won't have the opportunity to hunt WY with there dad. Hear in WI there is no limit on non residents for deer and the tag costs 165. I know that wouldn't work for Wyoming but what is wrong with keeping it as is. Wyoming hunters are more than welcome in Wisconsin so why are they trying to make so blue collar folk like myself cannot bring their children west to enjoy Wyoming. It just seems there has to be a better solution where we can all agree on. Let's not let this divide us as hunters just because of state lines and politicians manipulating us.

Chad.frank

Lil-Rokslider
I’m from Wisconsin as well and always thought that the non resident tags could be higher. I’m not sure why Wyoming would be proposing this but I’d hope that it’s based on sound scientific research and conservation. I do not want to see tag costs go up. However the money that is generated goes back into protecting and enhancing wild game habitat and protection of those animals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chad.frank

Lil-Rokslider
You also have to agree that the state will be losing a lot of money by cutting the tags back by 50%. There has to be a sound reason for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

manitou1

WKR
That is not what I gathered from reading it.
The proposal is to limit NR tags to 10%... which is about where it is now IIRC, BUT 3% of those will be allocated strictly for outfitters... which I do not agree with. Outfitters pay ranchers for rights. Ranchers control WY and their Game and Fish, so we know who always wins.

If you haven't yet go to the general discussion thread and read the same topic over there. BuzzH shared some great info in the thread that may make you feel a littler better

KurtR

WKR
Just wanted to put out there the new bill that WY is proposing is to raise nonresident elk Tags 15% and cut the tags allocated around 50% for 2022. I am hoping this doesn't happen because that will mean my boys won't have the opportunity to hunt WY with there dad. Hear in WI there is no limit on non residents for deer and the tag costs 165. I know that wouldn't work for Wyoming but what is wrong with keeping it as is. Wyoming hunters are more than welcome in Wisconsin so why are they trying to make so blue collar folk like myself cannot bring their children west to enjoy Wyoming. It just seems there has to be a better solution where we can all agree on. Let's not let this divide us as hunters just because of state lines and politicians manipulating us.

They welcome to hunt all that public land there?

OP
jolmaco

jolmaco

FNG
Yes all of the forest crop/national forest/public land is wide open for anyone to use.

OP
jolmaco

jolmaco

FNG
Go hunt has an alert out on it if you want to see exactly what is going on.

The price is the price. The price of everything goes up. We can’t change that.

So as a guy who hunts elk every year all I worry about are draw odds. And since I hunt every year that means a general license not banking points to draw some dream tag every 8-15 years.

That being said the bill has the potential to cut limited quota licenses. And since non residents are guaranteed 7,250 licenses guess how we will reach that number if limited license sales are less? By increasing the number of general tags. My draw odds can only go up! I might have to pay a little more but like I said that’s life. My annual elk hunt is priceless to me.

sneaky

"DADDY"
By statute WY cannot reduce NR general tags, which are set at 7250 or so. The cuts will come from the LE areas and any NR tags cut from those will go into the general pool. The other thread in General Discussion which was linked above, breaks it down better. The fly in the ointment is the outfitter allocation, and will more than likely kill this bill.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

justin84

Lil-Rokslider
Here is the problem no one wants to travel to Wisconsin to shoot a whitetail when they are literally found every where.

True! I live here and I don't even get excited about hunting after returning from WY. Granted, WI has more B&C bucks than any other state and a license is $24, but it's just a totally different experience. Western hunting has really made me lose my appetite for whitetails in WI, which is too bad.

HondoArcher

Lil-Rokslider
It appears that the bill failed:
SENATE FILE NO. SF0094

Vote recorded: 2/12/2020 2:32PM
Ayes: HICKS
Nays: ANDERSON, ANSELMI-DALTON, BALDWIN, BEBOUT, BITEMAN, BONER, BOUCHARD, CASE, COE, DOCKSTADER, DRISKILL, ELLIS, GIERAU, HUTCHINGS, JAMES, KINSKEY, KOST, LANDEN, MONIZ, NETHERCOTT, PAPPAS, PERKINS, ROTHFUSS, SCHULER, SCOTT, STEINMETZ, VON FLATERN, WASSERBURGER
Excused: AGAR
Absent:
Conflict:
Total: Ayes: 1 Nays: 28 Excused: 1 Absent: 0 Conflict: 0

sneaky

"DADDY"
It appears that the bill failed:
SENATE FILE NO. SF0094

Vote recorded: 2/12/2020 2:32PM
Ayes: HICKS
Nays: ANDERSON, ANSELMI-DALTON, BALDWIN, BEBOUT, BITEMAN, BONER, BOUCHARD, CASE, COE, DOCKSTADER, DRISKILL, ELLIS, GIERAU, HUTCHINGS, JAMES, KINSKEY, KOST, LANDEN, MONIZ, NETHERCOTT, PAPPAS, PERKINS, ROTHFUSS, SCHULER, SCOTT, STEINMETZ, VON FLATERN, WASSERBURGER
Excused: AGAR
Absent:
Conflict:
Total: Ayes: 1 Nays: 28 Excused: 1 Absent: 0 Conflict: 0

Wasn't Anselmi-Dalton a co sponsor of this bill?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk