WY/MT Flyfishing - question

Vandy321

WKR
making a trip in just over a week up to Bozeman from the Denver area, finally taking delivery of my GFC for my Tacoma.

Making a bit of a flyfishing trip out of it, with my limited time. have a few questions for those who may frequent or have experience fishing WY/MT this time of year (say late March).

Edit...well, plans changed, roads through YNP not open until just after my trip.

Now looking to swing through Casper and fish the N. Platte on the way up, and swing over to the bighorn atthe wedding...then onto Bozeman for the install. Probably come back down I-90 and fish the big yellowstone for a day before heading back home.

Any thoughts or a better suggestion for a route? Mainly just truck camping and fishing.

happy to provide some insights to some of my favorite CO streams in exchange if anyone from WY reads this and is thinking of a CO trip

Last edited:

Jbehredt

WKR
We tried to take the scenic route through the park in February once. The road ended a couple miles short of the gate at a 6 foot wall of snow. I think you need a snowmobile to get in this time of year.

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Edit...you are correct, it appears roads are closed through April 16th this year. that changes the plan significantly.

Last edited:
I don’t know much about the Yellowstone this time of year, but Platte and Big Horn should be fishing well. Rainbow pre-spawn / spawn going on. Need to be higher in the river system (below dam) due to runoff.

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
I don’t know much about the Yellowstone this time of year, but Platte and Big Horn should be fishing well. Rainbow pre-spawn / spawn going on. Need to be higher in the river system (below dam) due to runoff.
Thanks yep, flows will play a roll for sure...but runoff in March? Early, no? No drift boat, just waders or bank fishing, I'll be fine with high flows if it warms up enough for a streamer bite.

Central WY just got 12-18 inches of snow and forecasted for more this weekend. Foothills will melt off and cause clarity issues the lower you go. Bighorn may be different... stay high and it doesn’t matter much

snuzzo29

Lil-Rokslider
N Platte has a slight stain to it but still quite clear. Flows are good for wading and the river has been fishing pretty well. All this snow we have been receiving in the area will make access a little more difficult.