WY Non Res Elk Results

Wiljam09

FNG
Glad to see other successful and excited hunters after the draws! My group drew Type 6 cow elk tags in unit 19. Would be happy to PM with anyone who may have advice or guidance for this unit. This will be my first time out West! Very excited.

After burning my 3 pts on a general tag last year figured it was worth it to spend the extra money for better odds in the special. Got lucky and we'll be headed back this year.
6f1b38486df97bb3baf2ad7c0a7bd9bf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Thomas11

WKR
Wish more people felt like you guys so my draw odds would improve.
If I can ever draw a tag I will gladly get outta your way in WY! It has been very frustrating w point creep. I’m pretty up to speed on most states and their draw systems and there has been no other state that has experienced as much point creep as WY in recent yrs. not even close

weaver

WKR
Burned 6 on a gen tag to hunt with my dad. Point creep is insane on the low end LE areas.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
If I can ever draw a tag I will gladly get outta your way in WY! It has been very frustrating w point creep. I’m pretty up to speed on most states and their draw systems and there has been no other state that has experienced as much point creep as WY in recent yrs. not even close
Well the secret was out by the time Wyoming implemented a points system. Yep a thousands bought in on year one and Wyoming hasn't been able to work it's way though even that first tier of point holders yet. That means it takes max points AND luck to draw the top units. Wyoming does offer a 25% random to give just a little hope. All your favorite hunting personalities have pushed applying for the Wyoming general elk tag so it's really growing point creep there too.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Significant price increase a couple years ago also didn't do a thing in regards to improving odds. Not saying that was the intention of the increase but just noting the flood just continues

LostArra

WKR

I'm sure it varies with the hunt area but I believe Colorado and Utah are still leading the creep race due to more people overall in the system for a longer period of time (Colorado) and less tags available for non-residents(Utah). But we are probably splitting hairs and it all stinks if you only want a bull tag in a specific area.

Everyone acknowledges that preference point systems are inherently bad, but I've come to the conclusion that it is bad for me because I've made it that way. I've been hunting cows for many years in one area and I know the country, I've had many close encounters with nice bulls and now I am determined to one day get a bull tag there so I live with the creep. I have enough points to hunt somewhere else but I choose not to because I'm too old to start over. If I was young I would hunt as many areas as possible so you have more flexibility to work around the system or just enjoy the cow meat and forget about antlers.

What does that tell you? The hunting is as good as it gets.

What caliber of bull ate you sitting on points for? I mean if you’re not happy with a 300-320 or so bull which ir a reasonable hoal with a general license and you’re trophy only hunting then that’s your choice.

Best of luck next year .

Last edited:

Thomas11

WKR
I'm sure it varies with the hunt area but I believe Colorado and Utah are still leading the creep race due to more people overall in the system for a longer period of time (Colorado) and less tags available for non-residents(Utah). But we are probably splitting hairs and it all stinks if you only want a bull tag in a specific area.

Everyone acknowledges that preference point systems are inherently bad, but I've come to the conclusion that it is bad for me because I've made it that way. I've been hunting cows for many years in one area and I know the country, I've had many close encounters with nice bulls and now I am determined to one day get a bull tag there so I live with the creep. I have enough points to hunt somewhere else but I choose not to because I'm too old to start over. If I was young I would hunt as many areas as possible so you have more flexibility to work around the system or just enjoy the cow meat and forget about antlers.
I don’t disagree. I usually try and draw any tag I can anywhere. And I’ve had enough pts for 3 yrs in WY to draw but it keeps creeping and I’ve been very unlucky there in that I’m always been in the point pool that draws but I’m one of the
What does that tell you? The hunting is as good as it gets.

What caliber of bull ate you sitting on points for? I mean if you’re not happy with a 300-320 or so bull which ir a reasonable hoal with a general license and you’re trophy only hunting then that’s your choice.

Best of luck next year .
I’m def not a trophy hunter at all! And I never apply for top tier units in any state as I feel it’s too much discrepancy in odds vs actual hunt. The unit I’ve been applying for in WY took 5 pts three yrs ago, took 6 last yr, and this yr it was 50/50 odds w 7 pts. I had 7 and was one of the few left out in that pool. Same as previous two yrs I’ve been in the Point pool that drew out but not everyone drew at that point level. U figure eventually I’d get lucky but not in WY! Your right I shoulda just got a general a few yrs and called it good. Once I finally that is absolutely the only tag there I’ll aplly for. Hell it prolly take 5 pts by then. It hasn’t been too long ago u could draw general as second choice special. That’s the diff in WY and say CO for instance. Yes CO has had point creep but really only for the top tier units. WY has had it across the board in every unit. I know at least 6 ppl that didn’t draw this yr in diff units there and every one of them had the points based on last yr. and each of those units experienced a 1 to 2 pt creep this yr. it’s unbelievable. I don’t have the answer other than issue more tags or breakup the seasons more for shorter periods and issue more tags and push ppl thru that way. Idk it’s just frustrating.

Archbull

FNG
I've been chasing the point creep myself for years. Finally drew a decent tag this year with 13. Now that I'm out hopefully you will draw soon!

I don’t have the answer other than issue more tags or breakup the seasons more for shorter periods and issue more tags and push ppl thru that way. Idk it’s just frustrating.

What! That has to be the worst idea I have ever heard! Should they also add a muzzleloader season in the middle of September? And while they’re at it change the name of the state to North Colorado?

Every license is potentially a dead elk. Quality goes down the tubes because bulls don’t get to mature.

The unit you want to hunt took 5 points not so long ago. 5 point units aren’t worth squat. What do you expect the hunting to be like there? You know what is worth your points... a unit you can hunt as often as possible and get to learn like the back of your hand. You could have hunted a general unit 2 or 3 times by now. You could have not only killed multiple bulls but also had a heck of a lot of fun going back to places where you and some friends have come to call home. Priceless.

My advice would be hunt Wyoming as often as possible and if you want to hunt limited quota units try that in Montana where it’s possible to draw tags before hunters who have more bonus points than you.

Next year you’ll have enough points to guarantee a general license in the region draw for you and a partner. Maybe they’ll be kind enough to pay you for half of your points.

Last edited:

Laramie

WKR
What! That has to be the worst idea I have ever heard! Should they also add a muzzleloader season in the middle of September? And while they’re at it change the name of the state to North Colorado?

Every license is potentially a dead elk. Quality goes down the tubes because bulls don’t get to mature.

The unit you want to hunt took 5 points not so long ago. 5 point units aren’t worth squat. What do you expect the hunting to be like there? You know what is worth your points... a unit you can hunt as often as possible and get to learn like the back of your hand. You could have hunted a general unit 2 or 3 times by now. You could have not only killed multiple bulls but also had a heck of a lot of fun going back to places where you and some friends have come to call home. Priceless.

My advice would be hunt Wyoming as often as possible and if you want to hunt limited quota units try that in Montana where it’s possible to draw tags before hunters who have more bonus points than you.
No way, those general tag units aren't good hunting at all. Hardly any elk to be found and those that are there will probably test positive for chronic wasting disease. I think everyone should keep applying for the true LQ areas if they really want to shoot elk. ;)

Thomas11

WKR

Next year you’ll have enough points to guarantee a general license in the region draw for you and a partner. Maybe they’ll be kind enough to pay you for half of your points.
Yes every tag is potentially a dead elk but NM, CO and even AZ uses that strategy w late season high tag numbers and they have a much less population of elk than WY. With shorter seasons the success rate would go down and more ppl would get thru the system is all I’m saying and overall success should balance out. It doesn’t matter how great quality is if u can’t draw! I get what u r sayin about hunting several times vs once, and that’s always been my strategy but i had drawn other tags for a while in other States so I wasn’t too concerned so when I got 5 pts there I figured I had too many for a general tag and decided to try a LE hunt. But I won’t make that mistake again. I guess I just didn’t anticipate that kinda point creep that has happened there. Maybe next yr I’ll spilt my pts w a friend and do general as you say! Do u do rifle or archery for the general there? Idk it was just the icing on the cake for this yr there when I saw the results. Lol. And it doesn’t help I haven’t drawn anywhere else thus yr either. I’m sure I can pick up a returned tag in CO at some pt. I’m going elk hunting somewhere! That is a fact!

Laramie

WKR
I do wish there were more archery only elk tags in Wyoming. I think offering more of those would help my draw odds and get me out of the General tag point creep pool. Those general tags will take 5 points before you know it unless something changes.