WY NR 2.75 PP regular draw options

UtahJimmy

WKR
4 of us (with an average of 2.75 PP) were discussing drawing buck tags this year. I thought I would have a lot more units for us to 100% draw in the regular with a fair amount of public land. This is our 1 OOS hunt for the year.

Would you:
1. Draw a unit with less public and potentially smaller bucks
2. Try to find a landowner willing to let you trespass for a fee and draw that unit
3. Wait another year hoping to draw a unit with more public

TIA!

bdan68

WKR
I would draw whatever you can and make the best of it. I sure wouldn't put it off another year, unless you have other options. I really think you should consider doing the special draw. It's a couple hundred dollars more but it sounds like you're open to paying a trespass fee. Why not spend extra on your licenses so you can draw a unit with more public land, and then there will be no need to pay a trespass fee.

wytx

WKR
I would draw whatever you can and make the best of it. I sure wouldn't put it off another year, unless you have other options. I really think you should consider doing the special draw. It's a couple hundred dollars more but it sounds like you're open to paying a trespass fee. Why not spend extra on your licenses so you can draw a unit with more public land, and then there will be no need to pay a trespass fee.

This is great advice. Looking at the drawing odds, there are several,great areas that can be drawn in the special draw with 2-3 PP. No need for private land or trespass fee. You can hunt them and camp to make up for the extra special draw fee money. You can then hunt game birds or do some fishing all on public land.

OP
UtahJimmy

UtahJimmy

WKR
Appreciate the advice so far but special is not an option. I have to pay for 2 of the tags and $1300 for 2 antelope just isn't gonna happen (not to mention the cost of points I've already purchased).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
Are you looking for trophies or the experience hunting with you buddies. We usually go out with a group of 4 of 5 guys and honestly could care less about horn size. being with friends, camping, hunting and having a good time is way better than an extra 2 inches of horn.

OP
UtahJimmy

UtahJimmy

WKR
Are you looking for trophies or the experience hunting with you buddies. We usually go out with a group of 4 of 5 guys and honestly could care less about horn size. being with friends, camping, hunting and having a good time is way better than an extra 2 inches of horn.

Definitely looking for a good time, not inches. But want to get a crack at a few decent bucks.

I've only killed doe antelope, so it'll be my first time being able to shoot one with horns, and I'm not a picky hunter!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm kind of in the same boat and I was thinking maybe a good strategy might be to put in for an area that you would like to hunt for bucks. Also put in for a doe tag or OTC doe tag for the same area. Hunt does, scout for bucks, learn the area and put a point in the bin for next year. NR doe tags are cheap and gets you out in the field.

Rich M

WKR
WY is a 30-hour drive for me 1-way. It is a major effort to go. I did it in 2017 on just doe tags and regretted not having a buck tag - opening morning I was 25 yards (yes, twenty-five) yards from the herd and a huge buck - got flustered, shot a yearling instead of the lead doe.

I won't do that again. Also point creep made the unit go up a full point to draw between 2017 and 2018 seasons. LOL! Crazy. Check your units and see what you can reasonably expect/hope for.

It wasn't much fun - one section of land had 12+ trucks doing laps - it produced a few goats but was like going to a sporting event.

Bulldawg

WKR
You’re over thinking it. I have only hunted a terrible unit and killed many bucks all between 70-82 inches. Never used more than 0 points.

Agreed —— don’t do the Special Tag for antelope - too expensive. Unit 82 was good for us the past couple of years. Shoot me a PM with your email & I can send you pics of the bucks we have harvested. Plenty of public land in my opinion that was easily accessible. Hunting pressure was minimal during the week as well. Plus it’s only about 20 minutes outside of Cody so lodging is easy if you need it. Definitely want to invest in onX though as the land can be fairly broken up with private vs public & you don’t want to shoot on the wrong side.....

Last edited: