WY October Rifle Gear List

jbwright

WKR
Hey guys, assuming my buddy and I actually draw a license this year (based on odds/pts, it would seem we're in a good position to draw), I'll be headed out to WY in October to hunt elk w/rifle. I've scoured different forums looking for insights on what to pack (and not pack) including the Elk/Moose/Caribou forums, so I feel like I've exhausted my knowledge and I'm at the point where I could subject my draft gear list for critiques. I think my biggest takeaway in researching is don't overpack clothing (there are more key takeaways I've learned, but that's the one that's stood out to me). I'm aware that October could be hot or could be cold, or could be both all within 1 day, so the actual clothing that goes with us will be a game time decision as we grab/pack what we need out of the truck, and leave what we don't need. But the clothing listed in the attached would at least be available in the truck to backpack in (I plan to pack my rain gear and insulation pieces irrespective of the forecast).

A few notes:
- Unit Research: I'm knee-deep in OnX and GoHunt every night after work (and kids in bed) evaluating potential hunting locations for the unit we applied for. Obviously we'll have to be nimble/flexible to the exact hunting area given hunting pressure/weather/etc. when the time comes. Either way, my goal is to get to know the terrain and features extremely well before boots are on the ground.

- Duration: We're looking at 7 days for hunting (excluding travel). That seems like what will end up working w/both of our work schedules. I feel like this is adequate for the trip, and based on research here on RS and other sources that's a decent time to chase elk. Also, it's plausible we'd go into an area for a day, two, three, and pull out and go to a different spot depending on what we were seeing. That would give us an opportunity to get back to the truck, maybe go to local town for shower, re-gear up and head back out.

- Weapon: This is a rifle/scope combo I'm super comfortable with. I consistently shoot at a local range at 200/300/600 with this setup. I'm not an expert shot by any means, but based on the advice of many, now, Well Known Roksliders, I feel confident the 308 is capable and I'll focus on shot placement/high percentage shots that have the elements in my favor - and it's flat out the setup I'm good with. FWIW, I don't intend to shoot at an animal beyond ~300. Personal preference. Hopefully there's not too much criticism on this caliber (it's what I got!) and setup, but it's all good if you want to throw in your $0.02. I respect it.

- Food: After I get this gear list squared away, among other things, I'll be focusing on a food pack list, so food isn't included. Just yet.

- Pack: The gear list lists the Kifaru Stryker w/Camp bag as my backpacking setup - this is likely going to change based on this trip. I went on a 3-dayer about a month ago with this setup and I was pushing the limits of what (I felt like) that setup was capable of. So, I've been researching larger bag options on the Kifaru front, and would buy the pack with at least 2-3 months lead time before the trip so I could "test drive" it on some day hiking trips loaded out to spec.

Sorry for the novel. If it's easier I can drop the info in the attached into multiple tables in the text. Sincerely appreciate it.

JW

Attachments

• 2022 WY Gear List.pdf
    91.1 KB · Views: 149

BDRam16

WKR
First week of October this year Wyoming saw 2 feet of snow in some areas and basically every road in the state was shut down for almost 24hrs. I definitely wasn’t adequately prepared for that. Also it was WAY more open than I was expecting and not having a tripod/spotter was a HUGE mistake.

OP
J

jbwright

WKR
have you put a weight to that list yet ? are you going to hunt right off your back or will you have a base camp ?
Working on weighing the full gear list (as it stands right now) out this weekend...will report back on that.

As far as the second question...we're planning on base camp. Thought as of now is to hike in within a couple miles, but frankly that may be hasty to say. I'm still researching a lot on what could make sense. Open to thoughts/suggestions here though.

Edit: added 2nd part to respond to 2nd question

Last edited:
OP
J

jbwright

WKR
First week of October this year Wyoming saw 2 feet of snow in some areas and basically every road in the state was shut down for almost 24hrs. I definitely wasn’t adequately prepared for that. Also it was WAY more open than I was expecting and not having a tripod/spotter was a HUGE mistake.
Other than the tripod/spotter, what gear that you did have was clutch, and/or were there gear items you didn't have that would've been clutch?

Working on weighing the full gear list (as it stands right now) out this weekend...will report back on that.

As far as the second question...we're planning on base camp. Thought as of now is to hike in within a couple miles, but frankly that may be hasty to say. I'm still researching a lot on what could make sense. Open to thoughts/suggestions here though.

Edit: added 2nd part to respond to 2nd question
You might get some benefit out of this website for tracking and organizing different packs and gear. It's much more cleanly organized than you spreadsheet and you can drag and drop standard items between packs and such with all the weights and details included. https://lighterpack.com/

revoked

FNG
Agreed. We were there mid-October in 2020, and I ended up buying a spotter in town. Big country and you can see a long ways.

Elk300win

FNG
Your list is great and can actually be compacted depending on the variables of if you are setting up base camp or spiking out. The things i didn't see and or missed and my apologies but do not forget the simple items, they get missed on the list and therefore do not end up in the pick up regardless if you are in a hotel, base camp, spike camp.
1) Camp shoes & socks- after a long day you will want to get out of your boots regardless of how comfortable they are and relax in something more comfortable. Even if you are packing in and setting up camp bring something along other than your boots. Also designate another pair of socks only for camp.
2) Baby wipes - You have this listed but do not underestimate the value of the wipes, grab multiple packs.
3) Entertainment - It still gets dark pretty early in October. When you get in bed and you cant mentally shut off i would recommend a book. Books work great when weight is an issue and when weight is not an issue an Ipad downloaded with movies sure does pass the time but also may require a secondary power source to charge for multiple nights.

In summary, you are there to kill an elk but if you can't come back to camp at night and recharge you are not going to have a good time regardless of how well you are set up to hunt.

OP
J

jbwright

WKR
A wood stove to dry out snow soaked gear would have been nice.
Picked up the SO cimmaron and deciding between their u-turn or standard stove...definitely been on the gear list but will have a stove - thanks for the recommendation

OP
J

jbwright

WKR
Your list is great and can actually be compacted depending on the variables of if you are setting up base camp or spiking out. The things i didn't see and or missed and my apologies but do not forget the simple items, they get missed on the list and therefore do not end up in the pick up regardless if you are in a hotel, base camp, spike camp.
1) Camp shoes & socks- after a long day you will want to get out of your boots regardless of how comfortable they are and relax in something more comfortable. Even if you are packing in and setting up camp bring something along other than your boots. Also designate another pair of socks only for camp.
2) Baby wipes - You have this listed but do not underestimate the value of the wipes, grab multiple packs.
3) Entertainment - It still gets dark pretty early in October. When you get in bed and you cant mentally shut off i would recommend a book. Books work great when weight is an issue and when weight is not an issue an Ipad downloaded with movies sure does pass the time but also may require a secondary power source to charge for multiple nights.

In summary, you are there to kill an elk but if you can't come back to camp at night and recharge you are not going to have a good time regardless of how well you are set up to hunt.
solid, thanks. definitely going to stock up on the wipes...shouldn't be too hard with what will be a ~2 y.o. in the house :) later this year when we head out

wytx

WKR
Bring a chainsaw for clearing roads after a storm.
Have good 10 ply tires on your vehicle, roads can be rough and rocky in our mountains, or have a couple of spares.
You might look into renting a FS cabin for part of your hunt, some have running water so a shower is possible and maybe an indoor toilet.

BDRam16

WKR
Have good 10 ply tires on your vehicle, roads can be rough and rocky in our mountains, or have a couple of spares.
You might look into renting a FS cabin for part of your hunt, some have running water so a shower is possible and maybe an indoor toilet.
Man that’s no lie. I’m still picking Wyoming mud out of my boots lol.

Where in Wyoming will make a difference too. I live in the NW corner and we had warm, dry, no snow for all of rifle season this year. I've also packed out elk in -25F nights thigh deep in snow. So, prepare for cold and snow. You can always leave gear at camp.

OP
J

jbwright

WKR
Great insight. Made a separate “truck list” to make sure I’m squared away. Thank you 👍🏻

OP
J

jbwright

WKR
Where in Wyoming will make a difference too. I live in the NW corner and we had warm, dry, no snow for all of rifle season this year. I've also packed out elk in -25F nights thigh deep in snow. So, prepare for cold and snow. You can always leave gear at camp.
A bit refreshing to read WY weather can be as erratic as it is down in the southeast. We had one of the coldest October’s I can remember in AL, and then Christmas Day was 80. Ha. Thanks for affirming that we need to be geared up for a range of weather, and adjust at the truck as needed 👍🏻👍🏻

A bit refreshing to read WY weather can be as erratic as it is down in the southeast. We had one of the coldest October’s I can remember in AL, and then Christmas Day was 80. Ha. Thanks for affirming that we need to be geared up for a range of weather, and adjust at the truck as needed 👍🏻👍🏻
Prepare for the worst and you can always leave a puffy in the truck :) Besides, all the work hiking up and down steep rugged terrain, I'm rarely cold...just a heavier jacket for glassing times.

That time of year I would probably base camp and day hunt high ridges. Doesn't matter the weather, the elk have all been conditioned through archery season and maybe the first few days of rifle, and they aren't going to be out in the open a ton. So that time of year early they may still be bugling some in the AM, but I would plan for a mostly spot and stalk kind of hunt. I focus on terrain with great glassing spots.

wingmaster

Lil-Rokslider
Just a few ideas -- cut resistant gloves, trekking poles, bino bandit.

Have you ever considered LASIK? I don't miss those contact lens one bit!