WY OnXmaps question

Was talking with a WY Game Warden about my antelope trip and he said to make sure that I had a way to identify County Roads because most of the GPS chips don't have the County Roads on them. I just checked OnXmaps web sight and they state they have the Couty Roads as part of their chips.

I was hoping some one has this chip and can verify that the County Roads are or are not identified.

UtahJimmy

WKR
View attachment 50967

I don't have the chip, I just have the app. The above snip is from the web version of onX in WY. So yes, they do identify county roads.

onX in WY is invaluable. Especially if you plan on hunting antelope in a checkerboard unit.

wapitibob

WKR
The chips do not identify all county roads, as "county roads". The web map does not correctly identify county roads from "named" roads from the few minutes I compared.

Last edited:
OP
fire arrow
The chips do not identify all county roads, as "county roads". The web map does not correctly identify county roads from "named" roads from the few minutes I compared.

Thanks. I have a call into a Warden and will ask him what map book I need to get for the County Roads.

OP
fire arrow
View attachment 50967

I don't have the chip, I just have the app. The above snip is from the web version of onX in WY. So yes, they do identify county roads.

onX in WY is invaluable. Especially if you plan on hunting antelope in a checkerboard unit.

Im getting the chip, just want to make sure that I have everything I need before I get there. Thanks for the help. By the way I can't get the Link to open.

FURMAN

WKR
If OnX chips show county roads in Wy someone will need to enlighten me. In my experience the only way to tell is with a BLM map or signs on the road and I have even run into situations where county roads turned to private with no apparent warning/indication.

wapitibob

WKR
Almost every county in WY has a gis map page that shows county roads. You can use that map to create tracks in google earth and transfer that gpx file to your gps after converting from kml. You can buy an overlay file, by county, but they were outlandishly expensive when I checked last year.
There is no printed map I'm aware of that will have county roads designated as such and be current.

UtahJimmy

WKR
This is what the app shows...
54b4d33d967e46b4041f925a8259911a.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

OP
fire arrow
This is what the app shows...
54b4d33d967e46b4041f925a8259911a.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Thanks for posting this. From what I was told when I talked to the BLM Office, as long as I have a BLM map, and is the chip in my GPS, I should be good for around 90-95 percent of the time. If the road I am looking at and trying to figure out is not on the GPS and the BLM map then it is "more than likely" a private road. I'm sure these two items will get me into some public land that I can put some miles down and glass.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

FURMAN

WKR
The problem is when the road IS on your GPS but it is private. The BLM map will have the county road number in a little box at the point it leaves the "main" road. I have run into situations where it started as a county road but then turned into private. This is the first year I have had the app and it appears to help with some of the issues. Keep in mind that a lot of "two tracks" on BLM are as nice, if not nicer than some county roads and begin at main roads which may make it seem as if they are a county road. If that road exits the BLM you can not continue on it.

Fishforfun

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. I have a call into a Warden and will ask him what map book I need to get for the County Roads.

Go to the specific county website for the unit you will be hunting and download the current county map. That's the source document for county maintained roads. OnX doesn't fully do this well so just verify the actual county roads from the county map (there won't be many) and then use OnX to navigate around on those roads.

Fishforfun

Lil-Rokslider
Almost every county in WY has a gis map page that shows county roads. You can use that map to create tracks in google earth and transfer that gpx file to your gps after converting from kml. You can buy an overlay file, by county, but they were outlandishly expensive when I checked last year.
There is no printed map I'm aware of that will have county roads designated as such and be current.

^^this is your answer, the 100% solution opposed to the 90-95% solution from the BLM.

Jimss

WKR
Rfurman24 is spot on with his post. BLM land status maps have the road numbers in a small box at road intersections. Sometimes these public access roads end. There are often BLM road number signs at these intersections and sometimes BLM markers that are placed where public access ends on these roads. If the road ends at a gate with no trespassing signs it's sometimes tough to know if there is public access beyond that point or not. The county maps mentioned above likely show this. The checkar board area that stretches from Rawlins to the Utah border about 10 miles on each side of I80 is a whole other can of worms.

bobhunts

WKR
I have not found the Chip to be accurate regarding a road being public even though there may be a bridge across a creek the has county maintained with a road marker on the bridge. As soon as I pass the bridge there is a gate and a " No Trespass" sign! This happened last year so I stopped at the farm house and asked if I could drive any further. She said "no" ! Always best to stop and ask. I question why the county marks and maintains a bridge into private? Weird thing was the first fork going up showed as being a public road through private...not uncommon. I stopped at a iron gate going to a Pump Jack to pee. A guy rode up from a small farm house and told me I was trespassing. Okay I told him and I was on my way but he told me to take the lower road that was public going across the bridge I mentioned before. I guess they don't like each other and us as hunters are left in the cold as to "if " a road truly is accessible to the public?

wapitibob

WKR
There are two sources that will provide you with the answers, the County GIS dept and the local BLM GIS dept. Those are the only people I talk to when getting access info. I look at the county gis web map, then email the contact that's listed. For BLM, I email the local office GIS person and ask if i can send a GE overlay of what I think are open roads and ask them to correct any mistakes and send it back to me.