WY Region G packer/outfitter

SDHNTR

WKR
I want to cash in WY points (13 NR) and kill a big mulie, hopefully. I’ve also always wanted to do a classic horseback and wall tent backcountry adventure. Who are good outfitter options in G? Of course I’m aware of Rob Wiley, but he’s booked out into 2024. Is there anybody else?

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jake with Twin Peaks Outfitters

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Jake with Twin Peaks Outfitters

Thanks but again, I want a wall tent back country hunt. I don’t want to schlep in and out of town each day.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks but again, I want a wall tent back country hunt. I don’t want to schlep in and out of town each day.

I do not believe you will find an outfitter that can do that in G. I am pretty sure you cannot do a guided wall tent hunt and stay in there. You have to come out each day. I might be wrong though.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Really? Why? Never heard of such a rue in any other Nat Forest. Sure seems like there are lots of videos of people doing just that.

Fatcamp

WKR
My friends that hunted there packed in and stayed. I'm sure the outfitters do as well.

Gutshotem

WKR
I do not believe you will find an outfitter that can do that in G. I am pretty sure you cannot do a guided wall tent hunt and stay in there. You have to come out each day. I might be wrong though.
Says they offer drop camps on their webpage?

Try Crooked Sky (Formerly Magic Mountain) Outfitters. They have a pack in camp just north of Wileys drive in base camp. Great people and nice camp.

There are definitely Outfitters in G that do pack in Hunts. The ones I have run into have all been on the south side of the road. There are at least two Outfitters on the road on the west side that are drive to Camp hunts and then horse out of camp. I know one of them was Star Valley Outfitters and then there was a guide by the name of Dale Clark who you used to do packouts as well but he has since retired and sold it to a new individual whose name I don't know. I know he is a PBR? Rodeo guy who just retired in the last couple years after talking to his dad in the backcountry. I would suspect that if Dale liked him he will be a pretty solid horse guy. There is the Crooked Sky guys as well I have hiked out by their camp but never talked to them.

Best way to check is to call the forest service and see who has Outfitter licenses in the forest. You can basically get where their Camp is and what they are allowed to do there.

I would also check with the warden out there to see which ones have had issues. He is a good guy.

hartigjosh

Lil-Rokslider
Tre Heiner - Double Diamond Outfitters... highly recommend and he has a good base camp

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Really? Why? Never heard of such a rue in any other Nat Forest. Sure seems like there are lots of videos of people doing just that.

I asked an outfitter in G today via text message. He said without a special permit, an outfitter cannot remote camp with clients. Most outfitters set up wall tents at the trailhead or nearby and ride in each day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wytx

WKR
The permit is easy for them to get and a quick google shows several outfitters offering drop camps in Region G.
They are out there.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
The permit is easy for them to get and a quick google shows several outfitters offering drop camps in Region G.
They are out there.

Yep there ya go. Just gotta find one with a permit for it.

530Chukar

WKR
A lot of outfitters get the permit from the USFS and it requires them to camp within so many yards of where their permit is issued for, not allowing them to move camps into different areas without a née permit. They try to keep a minimum distance between permitted camps but I’m not sure what that is.

Mtnman84

Lil-Rokslider
Tre hiener will have put in his time scouting and will have you hunting big deer, comes highly recommended have buddies waiting to hunt with him.

wyoguy

Lil-Rokslider
I would recommend Tre Heiner as well, good human and hunter. I beleive his outfit is now called Washakie Outfitters.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Does Tre do pack in wall tent hunts? Or hunt out of a trailhead?

Tre does pack in hunts, I believe there are only two in G, he is one. The other camp seems to turn over quite a bit but is a great camp out of Afton.