WY Saratoga vs Wheatland

sivart

WKR
Will be relocating to one of these two areas. Curious of anyone's opinion on which area will have the best overall hunting.

Deer, turkey, bear, grouse, elk. I realize unit 7 is an impossible elk draw,

Both areas have good acres of public land.

I shot my first muley outside Wheatland on a third choice tag. Windiest place I've ever been. Nice people, like most places I've been in Wyoming. That's all I've got.

tracker12

WKR
I think which town is the best to living in would be a bigger priority that the hunting opportunities. For me Saratoga is a nice little small town with a great hot springs.

Jaquomo

WKR
Turkey aside, I'd say Saratoga hands down. Both pretty much suck in winter, but Saratoga has the hot springs and great fishing in both the lake (after they kill and restock it) and the rivers. You can hunt all around there for deer, elk, and pronghorn. Plenty of grouse too. Nice little town.

EdP

WKR
I've hunted pronghorn out of Wheatland. It is a nice small town but there is not much around until you get to Douglas (N) or Cheyenne (S). There is also not very much public land. I've never been to Saratoga but I have hunted mule deer in the Shirley Mtns and have driven around the Laramie area. The terrain is much more varied in that region and there is a lot more public land. I would definitely lean towards Saratoga.

I have friends in Wheatland. I rarely visit because there’s just nothing to do around there. It’s a really boring area. Unless you’re really into flying kites! Lol

EdP

WKR
I have friends in Wheatland. I rarely visit because there’s just nothing to do around there. It’s a really boring area. Unless you’re really into flying kites!
I have to agree with that. My buddy in Wy lives in Chugwater, just south of Wheatland. He likes the area because of the fishing.

If you are serious about moving you really need to take a road trip.

LostArra

WKR
I've got friends in Wheatland. Great place to visit (during hunting season) but I wouldn't want to live there.

If avoiding wind is a priority then you're moving to the wrong state. I lived there four years and was nearly blown off the road in all four corners. Hunting in a windy area is kind of nice sometimes. None of those nasty thermals when the prevailing breeze is 20mph but it can change directions in deep draws.

Of course, now I live in what used to be Tornado Alley. The "alley" has moved east according to the "science".

Spent time in Saratoga on a couple work trips in the early 2000s and part of my wife and my honeymoon. The Saratoga Inn was a nice hotel with live music and the hot springs. Also stayed at Hotel Wolf and it was very nice. Medicine Bow is really cool and there were deer and antelope everywhere back in those days.

OP
S

sivart

WKR
I've been to both areas. I hunted Unit 7 back in 2007.

I've never hunted the Sierra Madras, but I've spent 6 total days scouting this summer. Beautiful country. But to be honest, I was disappointed in the elk sign.

Good luck finding somewhere to live in Saratoga. I have family in that area and the real estate market has exploded with all the people moving in. Millionaire/billionaires are turning it into the next Jackson hole or steamboat springs

Laramie

WKR
Saratoga is nice to visit but I wouldn't live there. Deer tags are a challenge to draw in that valley as well. Think miniature tourist trap with politics and a big separation between the big money and the average Joe. Elk hunting can be ok once you learn it.

For overall hunting close to home, I honestly feel Wheatland would be the better option. You have turkey, pheasant, waterfowl, easy to draw deer (mule deer and whitetail) and antelope and some not too hard to draw elk areas close by. That said, I wouldn't care to live there either. If you are single guy, your best pickup line is I drive a U-Haul.