WY second choice

Okhotnik

WKR
I have opportunity to get a WY deer tag with zero points. Paid ranch hunt. Problem is I currently have 9 points and do t want to burn them on this paid hunt. Suggestions? My understanding is pick a unit with very low draw odds?

Depending on tag numbers there are a few units that usually have 0 tags available in the NR random draw.

OP
Okhotnik

Okhotnik

WKR
Its in unit T according to the guide all private land. And NR can just purchase OTC according to the guide. Just want to make sure I can put in for units and not get drawn and still purchase this tag and not burn points. I know there is still a very small chance I might get drawn .

CC11

Lil-Rokslider
If you can pick it up over the counter, why not forgo the draw and just buy a point later when if opens?

WCB

WKR
Its in unit T according to the guide all private land. And NR can just purchase OTC according to the guide. Just want to make sure I can put in for units and not get drawn and still purchase this tag and not burn points. I know there is still a very small chance I might get drawn .
No OTC tags...however it might always have left overs which at that point you can just purchase without going into the draw. Then buy a point later.

Hunt_UP

FNG
No OTC tags...however it might always have left overs which at that point you can just purchase without going into the draw. Then buy a point later.
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought Wy went to all draw for NR and no OTC like you can for leftover elk. It would help me out huge if there are leftover deer tags as options..

wapitibob

WKR
Main draw, leftover draw, then leftovers. Leftover draw odds will show what remains after the leftover draw.

Last edited:

Laramie

WKR
I have opportunity to get a WY deer tag with zero points. Paid ranch hunt. Problem is I currently have 9 points and do t want to burn them on this paid hunt. Suggestions? My understanding is pick a unit with very low draw odds?
Apply in area 130. It had a pile of applicants, took 14 points to draw, and only 1 tag available with zero available in the random. You literally can't draw it unless quotas change. That will allow you to apply for your 2nd choice tag with no risk of losing your points.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Solid advice, any of the hunts that took max points are the way to go. Funny thing is that there are usually way more people with max points than the number of tags available. Point creep is real...

wapitibob

WKR
Solid advice, any of the hunts that took max points are the way to go. Funny thing is that there are usually way more people with max points than the number of tags available. Point creep is real...

As a point of reference, of the 1381 Elk applicants with 14 points going into the 2020 NR Elk draw, only 405 actually applied and are shown on the odds reports. The remaining sat on the bench and bought a point in the later point only period.

Last year there were 11 region t tags that made it into the leftover draw. I wouldn’t wait and make sure it’s a 2nd choice on your app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk