WY Special Draw Question

Trying to figure out the game plan over the next couple years and a thought popped in my head.......After looking online through multiple sources, I cannot seem to find a clear answer on this (and yes, I know I can call fish and game, but I'm at work and can't sit on hold):

For my first choice, if I apply for a special draw tag, am unsuccessful for that, and put a cow tag as my second choice; Am I paying the special draw price for that cow tag?

Any help/experience with this would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks, everyone!

cocky84

WKR
I dont believe there is a special draw for cow tag, just regular, but im not 100% sure. As confusing as the regs are for Wyoming, i would call fish and game anyways, even if you get some other answers on here.

WyoElk

WKR
I believe it would depend on the license type of the second choice cow tag such as type 1 vs. type 6. The type dictates the fee associated with the tag.

LostArra

WKR
Trying to figure out the game plan over the next couple years and a thought popped in my head.......After looking online through multiple sources, I cannot seem to find a clear answer on this (and yes, I know I can call fish and game, but I'm at work and can't sit on hold):

For my first choice, if I apply for a special draw tag, am unsuccessful for that, and put a cow tag as my second choice; Am I paying the special draw price for that cow tag?

Any help/experience with this would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks, everyone!

Yes
You would have a cow tag at the special price. That is why you see very few Type 4 applicants in the Special draw.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/media/content/PDF/Hunting/Drawing Odds/DRAW_ELK_RD_NONRESSP_2017.pdf

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/media/content/PDF/Hunting/Drawing Odds/DRAW_ELK_PP_NONRESSP_2017.pdf

OP
DmrbigEshotT
Thanks for the responses, fellas.

LosArra, that makes a lot of sense.

When I get a bit of time, I'll give fish and game a call just to confirm.

Thank you!

LostArra

WKR
When I get a bit of time, I'll give fish and game a call just to confirm.

In the past I've made a few calls to Wyo Fish and Game.
Never had to wait on hold but a few seconds.
Plus the first person I spoke with could answer my question. Amazing.
Once a lab worker even called me back within 10 minutes with the age of a cow I shot after sending in the teeth in their survey.
(The cow was 11 years old and the lab worker wanted to know how she tasted)

4rcgoat

WKR
In the past I've made a few calls to Wyo Fish and Game.
Never had to wait on hold but a few seconds.
Plus the first person I spoke with could answer my question. Amazing.
Once a lab worker even called me back within 10 minutes with the age of a cow I shot after sending in the teeth in their survey.
(The cow was 11 years old and the lab worker wanted to know how she tasted)

God i love Wyoming! !

wytx

WKR
A reduced price cow tag, type 6 will not be at the special draw price, a type 4 cow tag will be. Type 6 are additional cow tags where the type 4 is not.

LostArra

WKR
A reduced price cow tag, type 6 will not be at the special draw price, a type 4 cow tag will be. Type 6 are additional cow tags where the type 4 is not.

This is a good point but to clarify, Type 6 tags are not offered in the special draw. The reduced price draw is totally separate but he could still apply for both and possibly end up with two tags, one tag or no tags. But you wouldn't be spending Special draw $ on a cow tag.