WY unit 123

Mblehm

FNG
I know I am fairly new here so I can take the bashing. I was fortunate to drew a 5pt bull tag for unit 123 and have spent easily over 100 hours in research on 113 and 123 and info is extremely limited due to the historical rotating seasons and very limited tags. I have been very lucky to be able to talk to a couple of individuals who live in the area who have provided good insight. I have tried to reach out to the new game warden in the area but he must be very busy so until I hear from him I was hoping someone on here could answer a question.

Does anyone know if the BLM lands in the upper 2/3rds of the unit are accessible any way via public roadway (specifically the yellow hammer buttes). I have scoured the county road maps, onx, etc.. and have not been able to come to a conclusion.

Also, if anyone has ever hunted in the unit I am always open to pointers but with that comment I am probably bound to get some laughing faces.

Howd the hunt go man? I was thinkin about applying here. I would like to know more about the access before I commit to applying? Any kind of intel positive or negative is greatly appreciated

OP
Mblehm

Mblehm

FNG
Access was very poor. A lot of the elk are on private or inaccessible public in the unit. Did find a couple on public in august but most of them were gone come September 1st.

Hunting in places like that is asking for trouble. Elk know where it’s safe. They know where the private land line is and which properties aren’t hunted. It does no good to watch 400 elk standing on the wrong side of a fence. So unless you’re paying for private land access AND it’s on the right property you should stick to places where you have no boundaries and the elk can’t seek refuge. Mountains where the nearest private land that is suitable for them is a couple hundred miles away. That would be the first thing I researched.