WY unit 44… I’m being that guy

Badland

FNG
I know I’m being that guy but taking my dad whose a bit older out to WY unit 44 for a decent buck end of sept. Last year hunted a ways west of Laramie and limited in 2 days, we just misjudged his lope and he wants something more representative for WY. I had talked to a couple guys on here and it helped, this is by far the best forum I’ve been on. Taking a full week this year and practiced scoring bucks on the hoof haha.

If anyone wants to help him out shoot me a PM! I live in eastern ND and hunt/fish everything that’s legal more less so if I can swap info that way I certainly will share what I know!

Laramie

WKR
44 isn't a bad area but it's not an area to trophy hunt unless you have solid private land. Even then, bucks in the 70s are rare in 44.

If hunting the HMAs, your best bet is too hang near the refuge boundary and hope a decent buck crosses. They do occasionally.

OP
Badland

Badland

FNG
Appreciate the info! Definitely not looking for a trophy by WY standards, I think our goal is prob something in the neighborhood of 70”

wytx

WKR
Lots of moisture in 44 this year and good numbers of pronghorn. That area was not hit hard by weather or winterkill.
Access is iffy but make a few calls and you might be surprised.
pm sent

Warlock

FNG
I don't have much info to offer on Unit 44 specifically, as I've only hunted antelope in Unit 1 but if you want to give me some tips about hunting Sheyenne Nat'l Grassland I would appreciated it XD

Taking my dad on our first trip west to 44. We’ll be out there day after opener for a week. I’ll shoot you a PM, don’t know much more than what has already been shared here but happy to give a report while we are out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk