WY - unit 60 - walk in with Llamas?

Raberd14

FNG
I'm going to assume you're talking about elk unit 60. Deer unit 60 has almost no big areas of public land. I think you could probably do unit 60 wth pack llamas, but you'd have to take your time; itd be a hell of a haul. The closest trail head that I see is Deer Creek Trail in unit 59, which is about a 10 mile hike to deer creek pass and the eastern edge of unit 60. So you're looking at a good 12-20 miles to get where you're wanting to hunt. I'd recommend a riding horse and mule train for sure. You'd need to be a resident of wyoming, or have a resident go with you too, because that entire unit is wilderness area. Also, you're probably aware, but that area is full of grizz and wolves as well. Go in prepared.

OP
M

Muzzilla

FNG
I'm going to assume you're talking about elk unit 60. Deer unit 60 has almost no big areas of public land. I think you could probably do unit 60 wth pack llamas, but you'd have to take your time; itd be a hell of a haul. The closest trail head that I see is Deer Creek Trail in unit 59, which is about a 10 mile hike to deer creek pass and the eastern edge of unit 60. So you're looking at a good 12-20 miles to get where you're wanting to hunt. I'd recommend a riding horse and mule train for sure. You'd need to be a resident of wyoming, or have a resident go with you too, because that entire unit is wilderness area. Also, you're probably aware, but that area is full of grizz and wolves as well. Go in prepared.

yes, elk and a Wyoming resident.

WMag338

WKR
I hunted WY elk unit 60 with an outfitter September 2019. It was a 26 mile pack-in to our camp. The trail is very treacherous and near Deer Creek Pass it snowed 1' and was near white-out conditions. We rode horses and had a string of mules. Several of the mules slid down the mountain due to the poor trail conditions at the time. I have no experience with llamas. Just sharing my experience. Several spots of the trail are only about 12" wide with a 1000' dropoff just past the trail. Some of the most picturesque scenery I've ever seen.

How was the hunting Wmag? I’m booked to go into that area with Yellowstone Outfitters in 2025.

How was the hunting Wmag? I’m booked to go into that area with Yellowstone Outfitters in 2025.
The Madsens at Yellowstone Outfitters will take care of you. Size of bulls can vary by habitat conditions each year but I’ve some them take some absolute monsters to 400 inches. Super nice people.

Muzzilla - I inquired about this with some llama folks who have spent some time guiding trips up there. The advice I received was to take a hiking trip through the area before committing to such an undertaking. There was an offer for more detailed info but as a non-resident I didn't want to waste their time unless I had a resident wanting to take this on with me.

It certainly has the allure of an epic adventure with a chance to crash and burn but I'm still interested in giving it a shot. If I found a resident who I thought would be a good partner and I still thought it was a good idea after doing a summer hike, I'd be willing to cover the brunt of any llama expenses. I haven't been on a horse in 20 years and have no business attempting it that way!

WMag338

WKR
Were any animals hurt? Did the mules make it back to the trail?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No animals were hurt. Several close calls. Quite a bit of the gear on the panniers was slung down the mountain.

mntnguide

WKR
Last fall multiple outfits couldn't get back over deer pass after snow closed them in. They had to force their way out Jackson side. Multiple mules and horses did not make it out, luckily all people did. I just did a pack trip to hawks rest 2 weeks ago to fish, and have spent a ton of time in the country in both summer and fall... you couldn't pay me to hunt with llamas on foot in there. Not only is the country rugged and big to get into it, elk aren't just frolicking all over like people seem to envision. It is pretty common to put 10-20 miles in the saddle a day hunting to find game sometimes. Also, the bears are a lot friendlier in summer, the moment they start thinking of hibernation it's a whole different ball game. Good luck if you choose to, but there are way easier places with good hunting to choose from if you are going with llamas.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last fall multiple outfits couldn't get back over deer pass after snow closed them in. They had to force their way out Jackson side. Multiple mules and horses did not make it out, luckily all people did. I just did a pack trip to hawks rest 2 weeks ago to fish, and have spent a ton of time in the country in both summer and fall... you couldn't pay me to hunt with llamas on foot in there. Not only is the country rugged and big to get into it, elk aren't just frolicking all over like people seem to envision. It is pretty common to put 10-20 miles in the saddle a day hunting to find game sometimes. Also, the bears are a lot friendlier in summer, the moment they start thinking of hibernation it's a whole different ball game. Good luck if you choose to, but there are way easier places with good hunting to choose from if you are going with llamas.

Im aware it is wild country but that is something else. Any more backstory on why the stock couldn’t get out and whether they died back there over the winter?

mntnguide

WKR
Im aware it is wild country but that is something else. Any more backstory on why the stock couldn’t get out and whether they died back there over the winter?
To much snow. One group lost mules through a cornice during a white out trying to get over the pass... others got turned loose because in that deep of snow you aren't keeping them tied together to make trail. I don't know the extent of how many, but i know multiple outfits lost animals due to the snow in one way or the other

drdrop

FNG
Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm renting 3 llamas for a 9 day elk hunt in 60 this fall. This is my first time renting llamas, but I'm hopeful they'll do well. I was up on Deer Creek Pass around July 4th weekend trekking across the remaining snow pack and saw the remnants of what some pack trains had to discard. Propane tanks, a nice saddle, and some cans of IPAs that unfortunately busted from winter freezing.

Anyway, back to the llamas. I'm treating this like a typical ultralight backcountry hunt so that the pack out will be manageable. Mules would certainly be a luxury, but I surmise they're less nimble than a llama. Without adding even more days for the pack out, or spending more money for more llamas, I do feel limited in where I'll be able to hunt. I'll just be scratching the fringes of area 60 (much of which is sub-par September elk habitat in the alpine) and concerned about the density of outfitters given how established outfitter camps are only a few miles in. May end up being more of a mule deer hunt. Sure would make my pack out easier.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Ok, this might be the first time in the history of the Internet that a unit specific post made LESS people go to the unit!!!