WY units 16 & 17

Good morning gents, I'm looking at doing a solo pronghorn hunt next year, I've been looking at units 16&17 but I'm not concrete on those units. I love to be able to camp and deer would also be on my agenda. Anybody hunt these units? Or can any units be recommended that hold both goats and mule deer in good numbers? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fitzwho

WKR
Just finished hunting antelope in 16. It’s doable, but get there opening morning. I hunted the last 4 days of the season and saw 4 antelope on public land. Talked to a bunch of guys that had success and a bunch that didn’t. Just being in the right place at the right time. My buddy and I both ended up with ~70” goats, but it took some doing to get mine and then my buddy sweet talked a generous landowner into letting him take one off his alfalfa field before the blizzard blew in.

Talked to guys from Georgia (successful), Michigan (not), Arizona (not), and Ohio (2 for 4 when we ran into them).

Loebs

Lil-Rokslider
We just got back from unit 17. Went 7 for 8 on our tags. Hunted public land the entire time with the exception of one very small pice of a friends cattle lease, it was only a few hundred acres. I avoid the opening week because of the crowds. I saw more antelope this year on public lands than ever before. We took two brand new hunters who had never been out west before and got them tagged out before my partner and began to hunt. Didn't kill any monsters however I missed a high 70 to low 80 inch buck, missed judged my distance shooting downhill. There are a lot of animals out there, you just have to get out of the truck and hike. GPS put me at 53 miles this year, but the terrain is mild compared to elk season. There are lots of muel deer as well. We saw lots of bucks, some nice ones too. Every spot has at least does on it. The bucks were still grouped together.

Camping is hit or miss. There are a few good spots in the recreation area on Hwy 1416. If it rains or the snow melts like it did all week for us, be prepared for some of the worst sticky mud you'll ever see. If it's cold you'll need to bring a supply of wood for your stove, there's not a lot of downed trees in the area. Area 17 gets a bad rap, but it can be a lot of fun. The new walk in area on Elk Creek Rd has opened a lot of good land on the west side. There are also plenty of hotels in town that are reasonable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
3fe46a0380975fbf1dcd656c16da8bde.jpg

Last edited:
OP
rooster440
I appreciate the info gents. I'm also open to other units if anyone has a suggestion that better suits me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

204guy

WKR
All the units in NE WY have plenty of antelope. You just have to approach them with the mindset that you're going to have to walk, a long, long way in. And you'll have no problem being successful. Most people want to have an easy road type antelope hunt, that's not generally realistic on public land in the NE corner.

OP
rooster440
All the units in NE WY have plenty of antelope. You just have to approach them with the mindset that you're going to have to walk, a long, long way in. And you'll have no problem being successful. Most people want to have an easy road type antelope hunt, that's not generally realistic on public land in the NE corner.

Not looking to road hunt, I love hiking away from the crowds.

DEEF

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted 17 one day before CO OTC 2nd rifle. Found a herd, but didn't get to them before they moved onto private. After my elk hunt, I drove 7hrs back to WY. Hunted two days. Saw plenty of Prong everywhere except on public. I hunted the 29th & 30th(the day before season close). On the 29th, I found a herd in the late afternoon posted on a hill feeding back and forth on public and private. I moved from 900 to 300yds and lost light so didn't get a shot in. The next day, I drove 144 mi, stopping and walking squares of state land. Saw prong all day on private. At 4:30pm, I went back to a square where I had seen a good number of Prong heading toward in the morning. From the road, I saw half a dozen muleys feeding 600yds out and in the middle of them a male Prong. I parked, grabbed my pack and glassed them again; the prong had moved off. To save time, I drove a little closer to them and parked behind a berm. Got out and crawled to the top. There were two prong at 220yds within 5 feet of the private fence. I shot the tallest one which turned out to have already dropped one side. I heard from a BM property owner, "this place is like wal mart". He was surprised that I found a herd east of 1416. I heard from another property owner, that the prong concentrated areas hold 3-4 camps during opening week. In my experience, by the end of the season, these animals know exactly where the safe zone is. They can be caught on public, but only when snuck on by foot. In my un-ordinary case, the spot was near a high traffic area with ranchers coming and going so I got away with my truck move. It's a hell-of-a challenge and super fun, a true character builder, especially when you readily see what you can't have and are on a time crunch. I'd hunt it again if that's what was all I could get. Although, when I bought my leftover tag, there seem to be an exorbitant number of tags available. Relative to the available public land and outfitting/leases happening there, I'm sure they over sell it. I don't have a unit comparison as this was my second prong hunt and 1time in WY—my first prong hunt being the second week in October in SE MT of which I probably saw less Pronghorn, but also harvested a buckProng. I'm hooked.

From what I gleaned from a unit17 landowner, the bigger muleys tend to be more prevalent in the southern part of the unit. I did see a decent 4pt up north. I saw a bunch of deer throughout the unit. There's a big outfitter in the north part that plants acres of corn. Every ranch seems to be leased. GoHunt puts unit 17 around 20% public land. I highly recommend OnX & GoHunt Insider.
Living and hunting my whole life in CA, unit 17 public access felt enormous and insufficient given the constant PrivateProng sightings.

Ebruce

FNG
I hunted 16 2 years ago, we just camped in buffalo at the KOA warm shower and electric for a heater was pretty nice, also the wind down in town wasnt bad as it was up on the BLM. I think it was 30 bucks a night then split 2 ways, always an option to keep in mind

ive hunted 17 2 times the first time we scouted for 3 days mapping out where we wanted to be opening morning. we found a section of state land that had good number of goats. we filled our tags by 8 am that first year. the 2nd year we knew the area but had a rougher time filling our tags took three days but got it done.

OP
rooster440
I appreciate all the information on those units fellas.

Loebs

Lil-Rokslider
Headed back to 17 this year again, also have a mule deer general C tag in my pocket. It may take a few days to pin some animals down, but they are there. Get ready to walk some miles, or you may just have one pop up when you get out of the truck. We have shot them miles in and also less than 50 yards from the truck when we walked over the first rise.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

loebs I would love to here how you do with the combo. I thought about doing the same some day and go with bow. I know the area well seen some nice muley bucks. opening day the first year I hunted there a guy pulled a 160ish muley out of the next draw from us right at first light.

cshire

FNG
Good info. These were the areas I was looking at for this year, but was not successful in the draw.
Going for Elk in 1st rifle in CO on 2nd draw tag.
Still want to go for Antelope - they are just so exotic looking.
Will try again next year with 2 points to improve odds.

Loebs

Lil-Rokslider
loebs I would love to here how you do with the combo. I thought about doing the same some day and go with bow. I know the area well seen some nice muley bucks. opening day the first year I hunted there a guy pulled a 160ish muley out of the next draw from us right at first light.
I'll let ya'll know how we do.

I’ve hunted 16 many times, and always had success. But every year, there are more and more people on the public land. I don’t even get buck tags for that unit anymore.

OP
rooster440
I’ve hunted 16 many times, and always had success. But every year, there are more and more people on the public land. I don’t even get buck tags for that unit anymore.

To many folks out hunting that unit?

blutooth

Lil-Rokslider
Question for the folks who have hunted 16 (I’ll be there 10/1with a mule deer and antelope tag in my pocket) already, did you use/wish you had tire chains? Everything I read says you need a set in Wyoming in October just in case, but with the limited BLM 2 tracks I am wondering if it really applies to these units. TIA

204guy

WKR
I would say probably not. The only reason I could see needing them here would be to get back out, off 2-3 roads I can think of. And only in the instance of a freak storm. If you need them to get in or it's looking like a big rain or snow is coming, please dont drive those roads and walk the extra mile or two. Understand that the roads here will dry out much faster than you're used to in WI also, you'll be able to drive them again in 12-24 hrs.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

come2elmo

WKR
Question for the folks who have hunted 16 (I’ll be there 10/1with a mule deer and antelope tag in my pocket) already, did you use/wish you had tire chains? Everything I read says you need a set in Wyoming in October just in case, but with the limited BLM 2 tracks I am wondering if it really applies to these units. TIA
Cheap insurance.