WY Wildlife Task Force, 90-10, etc.

Rich M

WKR
Turns out more members of the Taskforce are in position to benefit financially from Wyoming's Wildlife than we originally thought.

Those are the guys who actively take an interest.

If we spend a lot of time on forums it seems like everyone is interested in what goes on and happens. Reality of it all is that most guys (Res & NR) won't know about what's happening until the laws go into affect.

OP
B

BuzzH

WKR
I may not have the same perspective as a resident & I do understand that a lot of Residents do travel for hunts there.
My property is outside of a “town” that doesn’t even have a gas station. I’ve gone over most of Wyoming the last 30 years. It’s as rual as it gets. Hell most city’s have populations that exceed the states population. Which is exactly why I’ll be moving there in a few years. I may not be a full time resident but I’m watching this planning on my future.

However if you residents don’t think loosing NR money will hurt you then good on you & press on with limiting tags.

I still think it’s opening Pandora’s box but who knows, it may benefit the residents. If they go to transferable tags your access will decrease as landowners who don’t hunt or use all their allocated tag apps start pulling vouchers and making money off them. Nobody can blame them. I’ve sold one of mine in Colorado when I got transferred and couldn’t make the hunt. It’s a slippery slope, time will tell ....
Always curious how NV, MT, AZ, OR, NM, ND, etc. etc. pull off funding their GF departments with 10% (or less) NR caps?

Bottom line is the funding is not an issue.

Secondly, the local businesses don't base their business models off a small number of NR hunters that show up. Wyoming's tourism industry is 12 months long. I can tell you for sure that in my town, snowmobiling brings in wayyyyy more money than hunting.

Finally, when bars, restaurants, hotels, and gas stations start providing funding for our wildlife to the GF, State trust, etc. maybe I'll be a bit more concerned about what they feel about tag allocations. Until then, they can continue to enjoy the benefit they get from my wildlife, that hunters and fishermen pay 100% of the tab for...and they provide nothing for. Pretty nice benefit...would be about like me complaining because the free steak a restaurant gave me wasn't cooked perfectly.

Business's across the country have been making money off State Wildlife assets for a long time...and when the provide a penny for management...it will be their first.

Yes, this is going to be brought up at the task force. One way to solve GF funding issues (which our GF isn't experiencing), is to expect those that are benefitting financially from wildlife to start paying for it.

Wags

WKR
Always curious how NV, MT, AZ, OR, NM, ND, etc. etc. pull off funding their GF departments with 10% (or less) NR caps?

Bottom line is the funding is not an issue.

Secondly, the local businesses don't base their business models off a small number of NR hunters that show up. Wyoming's tourism industry is 12 months long. I can tell you for sure that in my town, snowmobiling brings in wayyyyy more money than hunting.

Finally, when bars, restaurants, hotels, and gas stations start providing funding for our wildlife to the GF, State trust, etc. maybe I'll be a bit more concerned about what they feel about tag allocations. Until then, they can continue to enjoy the benefit they get from my wildlife, that hunters and fishermen pay 100% of the tab for...and they provide nothing for. Pretty nice benefit...would be about like me complaining because the free steak a restaurant gave me wasn't cooked perfectly.

Business's across the country have been making money off State Wildlife assets for a long time...and when the provide a penny for management...it will be their first.

Yes, this is going to be brought up at the task force. One way to solve GF funding issues (which our GF isn't experiencing), is to expect those that are benefitting financially from wildlife to start paying for it.

I see the logic in that point and don't argue it. There are definitely a large number of businesses that benefit from Hunting across the nation that do nothing for the sport or wildlife. My concern was never for the G&F & agree that the money there is a non factor. My concern was for the small businesses, not the Gvt agencies.

I agree that tourism is a year round stream of income in Wyoming. We do our share in that regard a few times a year also. I just got home from spending a week with my wife and kids working on our place, shooting and fishing. It's a beautiful place, in spite of the constant wind, that I'm glad still remains wild and will do my part to keep it that way.

WY.jpg