WY Wildlife Task Force, 90-10, etc.

BuzzH

WKR
The initial 2 day meeting of the 18 member task force is in the books. Ground rules were set, introductions were made, and a list of items to address was presented. Within that list, there was a ranking of priority that I didn't get a photo of, but should be available on the website soon.

The list, written notes are mine, I think I captured MOST of the changes:

IMG_20210617_213107389.jpg

IMG_20210617_213537965.jpg

So, the Chairman was voted on and that position went to Rusty Bell, Co-Chairman position went to Josh Coursey.

Right out of the gate today, the top issues were voted on and 90-10 for the "big 5" (moose, sheep, goat, bison, and grizzly) was the top priority. A motion was made to have a recommendation move on 90-10 prior to the upcoming legislative session. That passed with unanimous consent with details to be worked out between now and July.

Testimony was given by several folks, and Sy Gilliland with WOGA went on record in full support of 90-10 in some form for those species. Still debate on making those species once in a life-time in addition to 90-10 and if changes to preference points for those need a change as well.

The task force seems intent on getting a 90-10 bill in front of the legislature for the 2022 session. IMO, I think the recommendation of the task force is going to hold a huge amount of sway with the legislature. The legislature also is really anxious to get this issue behind them. In the meantime, there will be opportunity for the public to comment. I can sense a strong tail-wind picking up momentum to get 90-10 for the big 5 to the legislature...the remaining issues, including 90-10 for deer, elk, pronghorn and some others, will be much more contentious I think and much harder to come to a recommendation.

What was the most disappointing was the poor showing by Resident Sportsmen at the in person meeting. I don't know how many weighed in via zoom. I tried to keep a few people up to date on what was happening yesterday and today.

In the meantime, the task force members are encouraging public comment on all of these issues...and per always, those that show up, get heard. Those that don't...they eat dust.

Jimss

WKR
Calling all Wyo nonres!

Are you aware that Wyoming has a task force that currently is meeting and figuring out strategies for stripping nonres of limited big game tags? Are you aware that Wyo outfitters could potentially strip DIY nonres hunters of tags similar to what New Mexico did several years ago?

Are you aware that with 90/10 that 1/2 of the current high demand nonres tags would be stripped from nonres? Cutting nonres limited tags in 1/2 carries a major impact to nonres while it only provides a handful more tags/unit to Wyoming residents. If you think point creep is bad now wait until it takes twice as long to draw high demand tags! The economic impacts to Wyo small town communities and the WG&F are also a reality!

If you are a DIY hunter that enjoys hunting without hiring an outfitter/guide I would also suggest providing comments to the task force. High demand tags could be taken directly away from the nonres hunter pool similar to what was done in New Mexico.

Now's your chance to speak up and voice your opinion! If you are a concerned nonres please send your comments to the task force. The more nonres that flood the task force with comments the more attention and impact we can make! There is no one on the task force other than outfitters that are voicing DIY nonres hunters recommendations so make your voice made! Make sure to provide constructive comments at the following website.

Here's a link to the task forces website: https://sites.google.com/wyo.gov/wyomingwildlifetaskforce/home/public-input

LostArra

WKR
4. c. Any non-resident who has a tag and nowhere to hunt has no one to blame but themselves.

Buzz: why will the 90-10 for elk, deer, etc be contentious? Are there any non-residents on the Task Force?

I can't see non-resident public comments coming across as anything more than whining about tag numbers. point creep, tag price increases, wilderness guide requirements, how much money nr bring to the economy, all the usual and if the residents are whining about tag numbers then the non res whining will be just background noise and fall on deaf ears.

3. d. Landowner tags. transfer- that should be interesting

• Banned
OP
B

BuzzH

WKR
Appreciate the insights. Any other observations that perhaps were unexpected/surprising?
Yes, sort of surprising right out of the gate to see WOGA support 90-10 for moose, sheep, goat, bison, and grizzly bear. Thought there would be more discussion about that before it was essentially a place to get everybody working together on a common item to get something in front of the legislature this Spring.

But, even the outfitters realize their kids and grandkids only have a chance to draw those species, as well as LQ elk, deer, and pronghorn more often if they have more tags available to them. What I've been telling them for the last 10-15 years...guess it finally sunk in.

Ah yes it’s a story as old as time....... DIY non residents continue to lose big game hunting opportunities in western states. With little to no advocates for DIY non resident hunters it’s only a matter of time until they lose all opportunities in western states or it becomes incredibly limited.

Jimss

WKR
Some may not be aware, but Colo to the south of Wyo offers unlimited elk tags and 35% of limited deer, elk, and antelope tags to nonres. That is way better than what Wyo's current nonres tag allotments.

You might ask Buzz how many Wyo tags he had in his back pocket last year as a Wyo res? Wyo res currently have a pretty good deal. Wyo res can hunt general deer and elk units scattered across Wyo every year.

The truth is that cutting nonres tags in 1/2 will only provide 1 to a small handful of limited tags to Wyo res. Is it really worth it? Draw odds for Wyo res will only slightly increase while it will take twice as long for nonres to draw tags.

Don't forget to send in your comments to: https://sites.google.com/wyo.gov/wyomingwildlifetaskforce/home/public-input

OP
B

BuzzH

WKR
Some may not be aware, but Colo to the south of Wyo offers unlimited elk tags and 35% of limited deer, elk, and antelope tags to nonres. That is way better than what Wyo's current nonres tag allotments.

You might ask Buzz how many Wyo tags he had in his back pocket last year as a Wyo res? Wyo res currently have a pretty good deal. Wyo res can hunt general deer and elk units scattered across Wyo every year.

The truth is that cutting nonres tags in 1/2 will only provide 1 to a small handful of limited tags to Wyo res. Is it really worth it? Draw odds for Wyo res will only slightly increase while it will take twice as long for nonres to draw tags.

Don't forget to send in your comments to: https://sites.google.com/wyo.gov/wyomingwildlifetaskforce/home/public-input
Wyoming Residents want to hunt higher quality elk, deer, and pronghorn tags more often...pretty simple concept.

But, by all means, send in the comments everyone should get involved if they choose to and the task force wants public input.

Rich M

WKR
I think it's funny - Unless your head has been in the clouds, its been in the works for at least 2 or 3 years. The question is will it be implemented in 2022 or 2023.

The 90/10 thing is gonna happen - the committee proves it. Why not just do it all at once - Big 5 and others? One outcry and then it simmers down. If it gets drug out and is done in multiple steps, there will be multiple outcries.

You want to hunt every year - change your zip code!

OP
B

BuzzH

WKR
I think it's funny - Unless your head has been in the clouds, its been in the works for at least 2 or 3 years. The question is will it be implemented in 2022 or 2023.

The 90/10 thing is gonna happen - the committee proves it. Why not just do it all at once - Big 5 and others? One outcry and then it simmers down. If it gets drug out and is done in multiple steps, there will be multiple outcries.

You want to hunt every year - change your zip code!
Assuming, and that's still a big if, the bill were to pass in 2022, it wouldn't be implemented until 2023.

Nothing about any of the proposals that the task force submits to either the Commission or the Legislature is a foregone conclusion. In both cases, any recommendation has to go through the appropriate commission or legislative public process.

But, there's no doubt that both will put a lot of weight into the recommendations from the task force...in particular when you look at the members on the task force.

Ten Bears

WKR
Calling all Wyo nonres!

Are you aware that Wyoming has a task force that currently is meeting and figuring out strategies for stripping nonres of limited big game tags? Are you aware that Wyo outfitters could potentially strip DIY nonres hunters of tags similar to what New Mexico did several years ago?

Are you aware that with 90/10 that 1/2 of the current high demand nonres tags would be stripped from nonres? Cutting nonres limited tags in 1/2 carries a major impact to nonres while it only provides a handful more tags/unit to Wyoming residents. If you think point creep is bad now wait until it takes twice as long to draw high demand tags! The economic impacts to Wyo small town communities and the WG&F are also a reality!

If you are a DIY hunter that enjoys hunting without hiring an outfitter/guide I would also suggest providing comments to the task force. High demand tags could be taken directly away from the nonres hunter pool similar to what was done in New Mexico.

Now's your chance to speak up and voice your opinion! If you are a concerned nonres please send your comments to the task force. The more nonres that flood the task force with comments the more attention and impact we can make! There is no one on the task force other than outfitters that are voicing DIY nonres hunters recommendations so make your voice made! Make sure to provide constructive comments at the following website.

Here's a link to the task forces website: https://sites.google.com/wyo.gov/wyomingwildlifetaskforce/home/public-input

Buzz

Why do you find this funny ? It’s ok for you to lobby on the behalf on residents while being head of Wyoming BHA but it’s not ok for non residents to have their voice or opinion ?

OP
B

BuzzH

WKR
Buzz

Why do you find this funny ? It’s ok for you to lobby on the behalf on residents while being head of Wyoming BHA but it’s not ok for non residents to have their voice or opinion ?
What's funny?

Non-Residents are encouraged to voice their opinion...where have I EVER said they shouldn't?

Post #10...read it again.

Also, if Residents agenda was to pass this under the cloak of darkness why the transparency? The task force has a website, the task force wants transparency and there will be. It was a huge part of the discussion on day one of the meeting...the meeting YOU and anyone else could have attended via zoom.

Pretty sure the meeting will be recorded as well...so no, you have no excuse for not being informed and for the second time...get involved.

JFK

WKR
What was the most disappointing was the poor showing by Resident Sportsmen at the in person meeting. I don't know how many weighed in via zoom. I tried to keep a few people up to date on what was happening yesterday and today.

Could it be that many/most residents are content with the current allocation?

Moving to 90/10 won’t materialize as giant shift in opportunity for residents, however it’s a 50% drop in opportunity.

OP
B

BuzzH

WKR
Could it be that many/most residents are content with the current allocation?

Moving to 90/10 won’t materialize as giant shift in opportunity for residents, however it’s a 50% drop in opportunity.
No, I think most figured the first meeting was just ground rules, etc. which it primarily was. Don't know either how many attended remotely.

There will be local, smaller task force meeting in the coming weeks.

Ten Bears

WKR
What's funny?

Non-Residents are encouraged to voice their opinion...where have I EVER said they shouldn't?

Post #10...read it again.

Also, if Residents agenda was to pass this under the cloak of darkness why the transparency? The task force has a website, the task force wants transparency and there will be. It was a huge part of the discussion on day one of the meeting...the meeting YOU and anyone else could have attended via zoom.

Pretty sure the meeting will be recorded as well...so no, you have no excuse for not being informed and for the second time...get involved.

and that’s why I asked. do non residents stand a chance of getting this stopped in your opinion ?

as the head of BHA do you guys have any discussions about this and how is relates to the tenant of access and opportunity ?

OP
B

BuzzH

WKR
and that’s why I asked. do non residents stand a chance of getting this stopped in your opinion ?

as the head of BHA do you guys have any discussions about this and how is relates to the tenant of access and opportunity ?
Here's what I know about your question 1, IMO, and from what I saw in the room,, side discussions, and talking with the task force members, there are going to be recommendations that come from the task force on 90-10 and some of the other items as well. WOGA supported 90-10 for the big 5 without a blink...the task force members stated over and over again 90-10 and other license allocations were the big issue.

Anything from the task force, will either go through the public process through the commission or legislature. Meaning, another round of public comments, etc.

As to question 2, yes. Also discussed is how wildlife is held in trust for the Citizens of the State it resides in.

I also can tell you that nobody with BHA represents WYBHA without board approval to speak for us on issues. There will be no question when WYBHA makes a formal comment on any issue. Just like our written comments and recent involvement with the Columbus Peak Land exchange...everything was subjected to board approval.

However, we STRONGLY encourage all of our board members, as well as general membership, to get involved individually in everything and anything they want to in regard to wildlife, public lands, habitat, etc. etc.

Being a board member or a general member of BHA is not going to hamstring either from being involved in any process they choose, ability to comment, etc. etc.

I contacted all members that I could via email when the taskforce was first announced. (I'm a non resident). I received several emails in return acknowledging my comments, a few asking questions, and even one phone call to discuss some of my thoughts and recommendations.

As a non resident I personally feel much better about things and even if they go 90-10 across the board I do believe that are taking these things under consideration and truly trying to find a balance.

I just really hope they do not introduce transferable landowner tags, or an outfitter pool! Those things would be much more harmful to the average Joe in the long run than a 90-10 adjustment on limited entry units. . . If they go 90-10 on limited entry units there will be more general elk tags.

Too bad we couldn't get the non resident elk cap raised by 5% as a consolation prize. . . But I'm guessing that's counter intuitive and never going to happen even though the elk population has grown substantially since that limit was put in place. Ah well, might just have to find a way to move 4 hours west!

Here's what I know about your question 1, IMO, and from what I saw in the room,, side discussions, and talking with the task force members, there are going to be recommendations that come from the task force on 90-10 and some of the other items as well. WOGA supported 90-10 for the big 5 without a blink...the task force members stated over and over again 90-10 and other license allocations were the big issue.

Anything from the task force, will either go through the public process through the commission or legislature. Meaning, another round of public comments, etc.

As to question 2, yes. Also discussed is how wildlife is held in trust for the Citizens of the State it resides in.

I also can tell you that nobody with BHA represents WYBHA without board approval to speak for us on issues. There will be no question when WYBHA makes a formal comment on any issue. Just like our written comments and recent involvement with the Columbus Peak Land exchange...everything was subjected to board approval.

However, we STRONGLY encourage all of our board members, as well as general membership, to get involved individually in everything and anything they want to in regard to wildlife, public lands, habitat, etc. etc.

Being a board member or a general member of BHA is not going to hamstring either from being involved in any process they choose, ability to comment, etc. etc.

Buzz,
Do you see any traction with an outfitter set aside or further outfitter benefits?

Thanks,