Wyo area 68 elk

Jbenson

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all, I was fortunate enough to get a leftover type 9 in area 68 this year for elk. My biggest question is about places to stay? It's my understanding that most camping is out of the question because of the bears (understandably so), so what are my options? Are there campgrounds where you CAN camp, or pull a camper/trailer to? Or am I restricted to staying in town in an Airbnb or hotel?
If anyone has hunted this in the past and has no intentions of hunting it again, any further hunting info would be much appreciated as well. I'll be calling game and fish office as well just to get some starting points as well. Yes, I know about the bears! 😁

KHNC

WKR
Several primitive campgrounds in the area from what i understand. Bears in all of them too I hear. There is a lodge I saw online up there. Lave Mountain i think its called.

wyosteve

WKR
There are several access areas along the Wind River where I believe you can camp at least for a short term.

OP
Jbenson

Jbenson

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure? I just read about no "dispersed camping" in the area on any game and fish lands. At least that's the way I understood it. Thanks for the info. I'll try to get more specifics from the local CO.

wytx

WKR
G&F lands have designated camping areas if they allow camping, the NF should have dispersed camping along the roads but check their regs.

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
Plenty of places to tent or trailer camp in the NF. Yes, you will have to be mindful of the bears that will be all around you. MY last concern would be the camping. The bears that will be around while hunting and packing out an elk are what you need to worry about.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but if you are talking about staying in an airbnb this is really probabaly not the area you want to be hunting. NW WY is the best place on earth, but also a very wild place.

grfox92

WKR
There are G Bears everywhere in that area and they are not nice.

I camp in similar country to the north as long as I'm not alone. We usually make a branch and stick perimeter around the tent so we can be alerted if a bear is trying to get close to the tent over night. Dubois is right up the road. Should be plenty of air b and b's to stay at there.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

OP
Jbenson

Jbenson

Lil-Rokslider
No, not staying in an Airbnb. Was just wondering if that was one of the only options as I was confused on the camping regulations.

WKR
I wouldn't backpack there unless I had a bear fence and a good partner you can depend on. Hard side camper should be ok, but I'd still keep food contained to minimize scent. Keep your head on a swivel.

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
Here is a story I wrote about hunting in that general area. It certainly is not an area to be taken lightly when hunting alone. My buddy was hunting 68 last year and ended up giving up during archery season because he got so freaked out about all the grizz encounters he was having. Nothing like turning around while eating lunch to see a big silver back 50 yards away looking at you.