Wyo creep

sneaky

"DADDY"
The nonres above that say that Wyo res deserve a higher chunk of tags may be in for a big eye-opener if 90-10 ever happens. Wyo residents currently have a fantastic deal! They can hunt great general deer and elk units every year...and have relatively good to great draw odds for drawing limited tags.

If you think pref pt creep is bad right now wait until limited unit tags for nonres are cut in 1/2 of their current levels! Pt creep for nonres will go to pt leap....I can guarantee it! I'm sure nonres will get a rude awakening if this ever happens! I can guarantee if this ever passes that high demand deer, antelope, and elk tags will head towards the current flawed bighorn and moose pref pt system where the only nonres drawing tags are the guys with close to max pts!

Just a heads-up! Wyo nonres may want to lobby hard against any future legislation....especially if they want their kids to have the opportunity to draw great limited tags in Wyo!

Colo is a lot more nonres-friendly than Wyo. Small town communities in Colo love nonres! Colo has capitalized on nonres hunters giving small town economies a boost....which often is overlooked in the grand scheme of things!
You realize that bill already got shot down in their legislative session right? You're a day late.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
I was totally aware that the bill was already shot down when I wrote my above post. I'm just warning that this isn't the end of it.,,,there is more to come! Just thought I would let nonres know that it isn't something to take lightly!

Calbuck

WKR
All this does is make people not trust the state govt to bring it up again next year.. so yep, I'm going in the draw this year to beat the BS! :ROFLMAO: If they don't start some other stupid bill next year I might start over with my points.

Nothing to add regarding Region G, but this buck was killed by me in a unit that takes 1 point and is about as far from G/H as you can get. We went 5/5 and killed one a good bit larger.

Public land, DIY, easy access.
That's impossible! Big deer are only found in Wyoming's worst kept secret, Regions G and H. That's what all the GoHunts, Eastmans, and office water cooler scuttlebutt says.

Dcrafton

WKR
Nothing to add regarding Region G, but this buck was killed by me in a unit that takes 1 point and is about as far from G/H as you can get. We went 5/5 and killed one a good bit larger.

Public land, DIY, easy access.

Regardless of where, job well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulieNY

WKR
I’m putting my time I. And building points

Hope to be out there soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider
I was totally aware that the bill was already shot down when I wrote my above post. I'm just warning that this isn't the end of it.,,,there is more to come! Just thought I would let nonres know that it isn't something to take lightly!

Even if a 90/10 split does happen in the future, it will not effect the number of deer tags in G & H available to non-residents unless those general areas become limited quota to residents. The GENERAL NR region tags have a set tag allocation for those regions which can go up or down. There would actually be very few tags affected by a new split in G & H as their are only a couple actual limited quota areas with few tags available. The same can be said for the other region tags with a NR allocation.

Last edited:

Bobbyboe

WKR
Even if a 90/10 split does happen in the future, it will not effect the number of deer tags in G & H available to non-residents unless those general areas become limited quota to residents. The GENERAL NR region tags have a set tag allocation for those regions which can go up or down. There would actually be very few tags affected by a new split in G & H as their are only a couple actual limited quota areas with few tags available. The same can be said for the other region tags with a NR allocation.
It’s true the tag number wouldn’t necessarily go down, but point creep would defiantly go up. If less tags are available for the LE units, more people will apply for the region tags. Thus causing point creep.

It also doesn't help that NR tag quotas continue to get cut in these regions. Just a few years ago several hundred got cut for both g and h.

Going off of memory here. But last time I read the numbers there were 7000 resident hunters in G and 400 non res tags. So right now non res aren't even 10% of the hunters in G.

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider
It’s true the tag number wouldn’t necessarily go down, but point creep would defiantly go up. If less tags are available for the LE units, more people will apply for the region tags. Thus causing point creep.

It also doesn't help that NR tag quotas continue to get cut in these regions. Just a few years ago several hundred got cut for both g and h.

Going off of memory here. But last time I read the numbers there were 7000 resident hunters in G and 400 non res tags. So right now non res aren't even 10% of the hunters in G.

There were 400 tags for G and 600 for H for the last 3 seasons. Yes, the tags were cut a couple hundred in each Region. In 2018, data not yet out for 2019 but should be similar, there were around 4300 residents hunting the Wyoming Range Herd which is the main deer herd in G. So around 8.5% roughly NR hunters. In H, the Sublette Herd is the main deer herd, and about 3400 residents, so 15% NR hunters.

In 2016 before the 16/17 winter...
Sublette Herd (H) Resident 4300; NR 800; 15.6% NR
Wyoming Range Herd (G); Resident; 5900; NR 600; 9.2%

Not a whole lot of change really. The more deer in these herd units, the more hunters there will be, both NR and Resident. These deer herds have always been leaned on by G&F both for NR and Resident revenues. Hope for easy winters & good moisture. It took 20 years to crawl out of the winter of 92/93 and now were 4 years into are last boomer winter. Buck to doe ratios are around 40 for each region with the 3 pt rule in place over the last 3 years. Tell me were else in the western US were there are general areas with those kind of buck to doe ratios in deer herds that have experienced above average winters 2 out of the last 4 years.

Mosster47

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going to put in for a general that requires no points this year in Wyo. The success rate in all those areas are still north of 50%.

If you put in the work you're going to be in that 50%. Meat is meat to me, so I don't care about antlers. I get a lot of people aren't like that. If you're looking to get outside and tag out on paper all of Wyoming is good.