Wyo creep

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
I have 6 pts for deer in wyo, in 2019 6 pts was a coin flip in the special , I thought I was a lock in the regular , boy was I wrong . I believe in 2018 6 pts was 89% chance in the regular, who knows what 2020 is gona bring , Im sure it’s like broken record but I don’t understand how a res can just go pik up a tag , and we might get a tag every 6-8 years maybe, just depressing , guess I just have to move to wyo 😂, I know I sound like a cry baby but I want to go !!!

I’m assuming you’re going after, and making reference to, a region G tag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In 18 there were no guarantees with 6 in the regular and we all knew things would go downhill. If you really wanted to hunt I cannot imagine why you would have risked it in the regular in 19 when that was a gamble in 18.

You can’t take money with you when it’s your time to go man!

Now with 6 in 2020 you can’t be sure even in the special. I have 7 right now so I’ll have 8 in 2021 and I think that’ll be my year. Unless odds stay pretty similar this year to what they were in 19 I’ll shell out another $300 for the special so I can sleep at night waiting on results and just move forward with planning my hunt. It’s bad enough you won’t know until only 2 months before the hunt if you drew. It takes longer than that to prepare so no playing games for me. Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
3pointer

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
In 18 there were no guarantees with 6 in the regular and we all knew things would go downhill. If you really wanted to hunt I cannot imagine why you would have risked it in the regular in 19 when that was a gamble in 18.

You can’t take money with you when it’s your time to go man!

Now with 6 in 2020 you can’t be sure even in the special. I have 7 right now so I’ll have 8 in 2021 and I think that’ll be my year. Unless odds stay pretty similar this year to what they were in 19 I’ll shell out another $300 for the special so I can sleep at night waiting on results and just move forward with planning my hunt. It’s bad enough you won’t know until only 2 months before the hunt if you drew. It takes longer than that to prepare so no playing games for me. Good luck!

So your not putting in for the special this year ?

OP
3pointer

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
Honestly I’ve been doing all my research in G, I’ve been back there numerous times vacationing , fishing , horse back riding and always dreamed of getting back in there hunting , I know it’s not wat it once was but I know there’s a always a chance of digging something up . I also know people back with local knowledge and have horses so I have that in line as well , I understand there are probably many units that produce 170+ bucks but it’s just a bucket list thing

So your not putting in for the special this year ?
No. I have zero elk points this year but have friends with enough for all of us to draw elk licenses for sure AND in the regular drawing. No way I can pass that up. I have a spring bear hunt in Saskatchewan lined up for early May of 21 and I’ll have no elk points so high country mulies it is. Plus I have two friends that can join me in 21with no licenses just to spread out and glass as much country as possible. One of them guided for Non Typical Outfitters for 5 years. That’s priceless! I have a good friend living in Alpine too. So I’ll have an army of 4 hardcore hunters looking for one buck.

After waiting 8 years to draw a license I’m doing everything I can to stack the odds in my favor. My goal is 180 or better.

Snowey79

Lil-Rokslider
No residents should not have the same opportunity as a resident, one who lives and breathes in the state. There are plenty of other good units to choose from and wouldn't need 6 points to draw. You can still have a successful hunt, one just needs to define his definition of success and blame the draw odds

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
3pointer

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
No residents should not have the same opportunity as a resident, one who lives and breathes in the state. There are plenty of other good units to choose from and wouldn't need 6 points to draw. You can still have a successful hunt, one just needs to define his definition of success and blame the draw odds

I get that , but 7 years of waiting ,to a res can go to Walmart and buy a tag? I know u probably don’t agree but that’s ridiculous,If you live and breath Wyoming wouldn’t you want to atleast see a cap on resident tags for the sake of the herd ? If that was the case I could understand the odds , but it’s just a free for all for residents , atleast confine people to certain zones instead of a whole region , something lol, it’s just my 2cents , not trying to start sh*t ,

Chad E

WKR
I get that , but 7 years of waiting ,to a res can go to Walmart and buy a tag? I know u probably don’t agree but that’s ridiculous,If you live and breath Wyoming wouldn’t you want to atleast see a cap on resident tags for the sake of the herd ? If that was the case I could understand the odds , but it’s just a free for all for residents , atleast confine people to certain zones instead of a whole region , something lol, it’s just my 2cents , not trying to start sh*t ,

Capping resident tags for the sake of the herd is an idea that probably has some merit in a couple areas. But doing that will do nothing to raise nonresident drawing odds. Pick what your mad about either herd health from over harvest or residents getting tags so easy for a unit that takes us nonresidents 7 plus years?

Careful what you wish for. In Alaska if they determine that they need to limit hunting pressure in the best interest of the herd the first thing they do is eliminate non resident hunting in that unit altogether.

Chad E

WKR
Wyoming is in a tough spot with regions like G and H. Certainly limiting resident harvest would be a positive move for growing more bigger bucks in these areas but it comes down to expectations. Obviously most residents would be opposed to this. So they are left cutting non resident tags as the only realistic answer. As a non resident I'm just happy I have the chance. I've been right behind the creep in G but I dont hold that against the residents buying their tag at Walmart. When and if I finally get the chance I plan to soak it in and enjoy it rather than be bitter that Wyomings management strategy.

OP
3pointer

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
Capping resident tags for the sake of the herd is an idea that probably has some merit in a couple areas. But doing that will do nothing to raise nonresident drawing odds. Pick what your mad about either herd health from over harvest or residents getting tags so easy for a unit that takes us nonresidents 7 plus years?
Both !! Not mad just questioning Wyoming’s management , life isn’t fair I get it ,

Snowey79

Lil-Rokslider
I understand you are frustrated, but waiting 7 years is a personal decision. As I mentioned earlier there are other regions to hunt in wyoming with better odds. You chose to hold out for one region and that is your choice. Dont be better towards wyoming residents because of your choices. I am blessed to live in this great state and love the hunting opportunities we here are afforded. That is my choice to live here and I made it. You may not be that fortunate but you have choices as well. There are some good regions in wyoming to hunt deer for non residents and one could have a very enjoyable hunt. Moat of the non residents are caught up in the high country "youtube" hunt and cant open their mind up to other possibilities. U encourage you to widen your perspective and look at other areas. I would much rather hunt every other year than every 7.

OP
3pointer

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not bitter at wyo residents, idk how you get that , I just question the management, I don’t care what state it is , when you see a decline like western Wyoming has had , you don’t leave it wide open for anyone , I’ll wait 7 years gladly , but have some control geez

Calbuck

WKR
If Wyoming residents want to spread out the hunting pressure from non-residents, how about posting up your results of your NON region G/H successful hunts with the full disclosure of where you hunted and all the details..the internet scouters will glob on that like flies on S*&T..I think there's a lot of good hunting in Wyoming that goes unnoticed because your residents are able to keep their mouths shut. I'm in the process of figuring out where I want to hunt in Wyoming and as one of those internet scouters, all I can find are "Youtube" reports on G/H. I KNOW there are other areas of Wyoming that hold good bucks..so it makes it tough to choose a hunt when you can't find any info on it. But, true to the way I've chosen my hunting areas in the past, I think I'll go outside the box and pick somewhere OTHER than the most talked about areas.

HOT ROD

WKR
Another nonresident hunter complaining because residents get preference over tags... I wonder how much squalling we will here when Wyoming changes to a 90/10 split instead of the 80/20 on all limited quota tags? Im sure it’s like broken record but I don’t understand how a res can just go pik up a tag , and we might get a tag every 6-8 years maybe, just depressing , guess I just have to move to wyo 😂, I know I sound like a cry baby but I want to go !!!

OP
3pointer

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
Another nonresident hunter complaining because residents get preference over tags... I wonder how much squalling we will here when Wyoming changes to a 90/10 split instead of the 80/20 on all limited quota tags? Im sure it’s like broken record but I don’t understand how a res can just go pik up a tag , and we might get a tag every 6-8 years maybe, just depressing , guess I just have to move to wyo 😂, I know I sound like a cry baby but I want to go !!!
Yea there you go , 90/10 so you can make it even worse , obviously residents success rates are more than likely higher , let’s just crush them even more , can u say “ignorant” boy o boy , hot? Mor like Dil 😂