Wyo creep

HOT ROD

WKR
, I just question the management, I don’t care what state it is , when you see a decline like western Wyoming has had , you don’t leave it wide open for anyone , I’ll wait 7 years gladly , but have some control geez
And now a nonresident is going to tell WFG how manage its wildlife... I play the point game in several states.. What give me the right to complain about what Colorado does to nonresidents as far as tag are concerned? If U want to play U have to play... Wyoming should take care of its residents first or any other state for that matter.. What makes nonresident think they are entitled to any thing here or any other state is beyond me...

OP
3pointer

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
And now a nonresident is going to tell WFG how manage its wildlife... I play the point game in several states.. What give me the right to complain about what Colorado does to nonresidents as far as tag are concerned? If U want to play U have to play... Wyoming should take care of its residents first or any other state for that matter.. What makes nonresident think they are entitled to any thing here or any other state is beyond me...
Just wish I could go more than 5-6 times in my life , definitely jealous of what you guys have and would hate to see it get ruined by over hunting , no matter how we disagree we are all on the same team, best of luck in the draws this year, no matter which state u put in for HR, I’ll see U soon

Calbuck

WKR
Hahaha would be nice to be so naive to think Wyo F&G cares what non residents think or wish for..I don't blame residents for trying to protect what they have for hunting..I know as a non resident I'll never have that opportunity so you just have to suck it up and figure out what will really make you happy as far as a hunt goes.. I personally don't need an epic high country "Youtube" experience to be happy with my hunts. I do, however, want a chance to harvest a mature mule deer... Can I do that outside of Wyoming's famed G/H units? I believe I can. Have I ruled out G/H? ( in my case H due to not enough points) no. But, however I decide to hunt, I'm going to make the best of it no matter where in the hell it ends up being. They say that 10 percent of the hunters get 90 percent of the bucks...I'm doing what I can to figure out how to be in that first 10 percent and so far, feel like I'm doing ok.. all a guy can do is get out there and say he gave it his best.. so from there, good luck to all of you trying to figure out the mule deer mystery :p

Hahaha would be nice to be so naive to think Wyo F&G cares what non residents think or wish for..I don't blame residents for trying to protect what they have for hunting..I know as a non resident I'll never have that opportunity so you just have to suck it up and figure out what will really make you happy as far as a hunt goes.. I personally don't need an epic high country "Youtube" experience to be happy with my hunts. I do, however, want a chance to harvest a mature mule deer... Can I do that outside of Wyoming's famed G/H units? I believe I can. Have I ruled out G/H? ( in my case H due to not enough points) no. But, however I decide to hunt, I'm going to make the best of it no matter where in the hell it ends up being. They say that 10 percent of the hunters get 90 percent of the bucks...I'm doing what I can to figure out how to be in that first 10 percent and so far, feel like I'm doing ok.. all a guy can do is get out there and say he gave it his best.. so from there, good luck to all of you trying to figure out the mule deer mystery :p

I think the 10% get the 90 is more applicable to CA....last time I was in Wyoming you had to be doing something special not to kill a deer 😉

Fatcamp

WKR
Just wish I could go more than 5-6 times in my life , definitely jealous of what you guys have and would hate to see it get ruined by over hunting , no matter how we disagree we are all on the same team, best of luck in the draws this year, no matter which state u put in for HR, I’ll see U soon

Wyoming isn't the only game in town. You can hunt mule deer in multiple states OTC every year. I love hunting Wyoming, but so does everyone else. Move on.

And I am obviously talking about archery. A random guy I met gave me that advice. I was hesitant at first, but it is reality.

OP
3pointer

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
Wyoming isn't the only game in town. You can hunt mule deer in multiple states OTC every year. I love hunting Wyoming, but so does everyone else. Move on.

And I am obviously talking about archery. A random guy I met gave me that advice. I was hesitant at first, but it is reality.
I hunt multiple states , wy is on my radar because I’ve never hunted there. And it’s getting close to my turn , I think 🤞

Longrifle

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the same boat. I waved the white flag this year, seeing how bad the creep is outpacing my own accrual. I'll probably never get to hunt G, and that's fine. I'll redirect my efforts and points to an area that's a little more realistic, and possibly fewer people.

Bookhead

FNG
Wyoming allocates a higher percentage of tags to non residents then most other western states.

BBB

FNG
You can go to region G every year and enjoy everything about it...except you just can’t kill a buck. 😁

Amazing to hear out of staters explain how resident hunters are killing the infamous deer herd. Stacked with several bad winters, fortunately the wgfd are savvy enough to understand the ebb and flow of mule deer numbers in w. Wyoming. I believe they’ve responded well by cutting non-res tags and strategically shortening seasons.

I run across at least one non-res every year up on the mtn that complains about Wyoming resident opportunity. I always ask how non res are treated in their states as far as tag allocations, etc. compared to Wyoming. it shows a real elitist attitude. Three pointer, how bout your state? Do they treat out of staters as well as Wyoming does? Do you care?

I suggest you take that energy of jealousy and put it to good work In your home state to help with your deer herds and not bash on Wyoming management, which seems to be doing fine (according to the draw odds and demand). However, still come and enjoy glassing big timberline bucks in Wyoming in the summer. It’s a great place to be whether you’re hunting or not.

My guess is Wyoming will someday drop to non-res to 10% of tags like most states. With that, I don’t believe the public wilderness law (for non res) is constitutional and it shouldn’t be practiced in our state. Good luck in the draws!

Rich M

WKR
... I'll redirect my efforts and points to an area that's a little more realistic, and possibly fewer people.

This is where I've been at but I never had the desire to go where the TV guys go. Only going a couple times in my lifetime and combat style hunting or aiming for the moon isn't in the agenda.

Looking to find a good place to go with a few deer and the least amount of other hunters.

Longrifle

Lil-Rokslider
This is where I've been at but I never had the desire to go where the TV guys go. Only going a couple times in my lifetime and combat style hunting or aiming for the moon isn't in the agenda.

Looking to find a good place to go with a few deer and the least amount of other hunters.
Me too, now

wrkn2hunt

FNG
I hunted G last fall with 6 and a special. I was tired of chasing points. So glad we did. Two of us and neither of us filled our tags but had an amazing hunt. We found a true slammer before season and slept on him until opener when he was shot by another hunter right out from under us which can happen on public. We continued to hunt hard and passed some great animals but were there for the giants and not willing to drop the standards. Now I will start building points again while I think I can still hunt it again in my life. What got me is we spoke to quite a few guys that drew it with 1 point on a regular! I guess you cant win if you don't play!

Rich M

WKR
I hunted G last fall with 6 and a special. I was tired of chasing points. So glad we did. Two of us and neither of us filled our tags but had an amazing hunt. We found a true slammer before season and slept on him until opener when he was shot by another hunter right out from under us which can happen on public. We continued to hunt hard and passed some great animals but were there for the giants and not willing to drop the standards. Now I will start building points again while I think I can still hunt it again in my life. What got me is we spoke to quite a few guys that drew it with 1 point on a regular! I guess you cant win if you don't play!

Were these residents or NR hunters?

Rich M

WKR
That stuff always confuses me.

Im trying to decide if I want to hunt a, c or a unit somewhere. A unit might be easier since there will be less options and will have to just settle in and hunt instead of driving from place to place.

Scorpion

WKR
Nothing to add regarding Region G, but this buck was killed by me in a unit that takes 1 point and is about as far from G/H as you can get. We went 5/5 and killed one a good bit larger.

Public land, DIY, easy access.

Attachments

• 2969484C-B1EB-484E-A877-056114DD71D3.jpeg
    2969484C-B1EB-484E-A877-056114DD71D3.jpeg
    862.3 KB · Views: 179
The resident/nonresident issue is always going to bring strong opinions. I have at least partially decided where to live based on the outdoor opportunities afforded by that choice. I grew up in Washington state but live in Wyoming today. I have zero problem with nonresident hunters and also recognize that we all get preference in our home states, as it should be. I think we all need to recognize that for what it is and make our own life choices if hunting opportunity is one of our life priorities. In many ways, WY can be a hard place to make a living. I have done pretty good for myself but it doesn't offer the same level of opportunity that a larger market would. Again, it's about priorities. I have hunted region G twice and killed a nice buck on the first day of my first hunt and nothing on my second try (backcountry, backpack hunts: first one solo). I recognize that there's a good chance that at some point, a change to the resident hunt in there will change. I hope that I will continue to be able to hunt it annually in the future but know there's no guarantees. One suggestion I've heard is to simply require residents to choose G, H, or general when purchasing tags, limiting them to their selected area should they decide they want to hunt G or H. That may dissuade some while also allowing the diehards to continue their annual traditions.

Its part of the game Im not a resident of Wyoming, so I have no say in how they run things in their state I'm sitting on 10 points and eventually ill spend them on something Im just hoping it will be worth it someday.

Jimss

WKR
The nonres above that say that Wyo res deserve a higher chunk of tags may be in for a big eye-opener if 90-10 ever happens. Wyo residents currently have a fantastic deal! They can hunt great general deer and elk units every year...and have relatively good to great draw odds for drawing limited tags.

If you think pref pt creep is bad right now wait until limited unit tags for nonres are cut in 1/2 of their current levels! Pt creep for nonres will go to pt leap....I can guarantee it! I'm sure nonres will get a rude awakening if this ever happens! I can guarantee if this ever passes that high demand deer, antelope, and elk tags will head towards the current flawed bighorn and moose pref pt system where the only nonres drawing tags are the guys with close to max pts!

Just a heads-up! Wyo nonres may want to lobby hard against any future legislation....especially if they want their kids to have the opportunity to draw great limited tags in Wyo!

Colo is a lot more nonres-friendly than Wyo. Small town communities in Colo love nonres! Colo has capitalized on nonres hunters giving small town economies a boost....which often is overlooked in the grand scheme of things!