Wyo Task Force - Nonres Comments!

Jimss

WKR
If you are a concerned nonres and have years of applications and $ invested into the Wyo pref pt system....especially for the Big 5 species you can submit comments directly to the Task Force for the July 8th meeting. You must do this by 5:00 pm on July 6th!

90:10 would cut nonres limited tags in 1/2 and require twice as long for ALL nonres to draw tags. For the Big 5 species this would likely mean that those that don't have max pts or close to max pts may never draw tags. Nonres that have invested years and $ into a draw system will suddenly have the light switch flipped off with these changes!

The more nonres willing to comment, the more attention will be given to nonres at this and other meetings!. There are no nonres members on the Task Force even though nonres stand to loose so much with decisions made! Sending comments is the only voice you have unless you attend one of their meetings.

Here's a link to submit your comments: https://sites.google.com/wyo.gov/wyomingwildlifetaskforce/home/public-input

manitou1

WKR
They must realize something needs to be done. Things are becoming a zoo and game numbers in some GMUs are becoming harder to sustain in optimum numbers. Just supposition, but I have noticed a huge difference in the past two decades.

Damn I'm glad I decided against jumping into the non-res points money hole a few years ago. Will we tell our grand kids about the good ol days when you could buy elk and mule deer tags in 5 states? Seems like the most likely outcome. Deer and elk herds will be reserved for the people that live in those states.

Donjuan

WKR
They must realize something needs to be done. Things are becoming a zoo and game numbers in some GMUs are becoming harder to sustain in optimum numbers. Just supposition, but I have noticed a huge difference in the past two decades.
I thought they have not increased tag numbers in several years
Wyoming doesn't have GMUs like Colorado...is that who you are referring to?

OP
J

Jimss

WKR
If 90/10 passes there will be a lot of nonres that pull the plug in Wyo like they did in New Mexico a few years ago! There could be more revenue loss than expected as nonres draw odds leap as 1/2 the high demand limited tags are gone! You are correct that the younger generation nonres hunters will be the real losers if this happens! Their chance for drawing many tags will disappear and they won’t apply and support the WG&F with additional pref pt $! Small town community business owners will also suffer!

Make sure to send in your comments before the July 6 deadline!

LostArra

WKR
The timing of my miracle elk tag this year (1.8% odds in the random) was perfect. I was never so happy to see my nine points gone and not have to decide on future point purchases. I'll hopefully continue to have the opportunity to hunt there. Just nothing with antlers.

I feel for the guys heavily invested in goat, moose, bison and sheep. You may be better off just investing in Super Tag raffle tickets. My Wyoming buddy took 20+ years to draw his resident sheep tag so things are tough everywhere.

(I don't think anyone will ever hunt a grizzly bear. I hope I'm wrong).

If 90/10 passes there will be a lot of nonres that pull the plug in Wyo like they did in New Mexico a few years ago! There could be more revenue loss than expected as nonres draw odds leap as 1/2 the high demand limited tags are gone! You are correct that the younger generation nonres hunters will be the real losers if this happens! Their chance for drawing many tags will disappear and they won’t apply and support the WG&F with additional pref pt $! Small town community business owners will also suffer!

Make sure to send in your comments before the July 6 deadline!

G&F won't lose money. They will just collect it from fewer folks with deeper pockets.

The financial fate of small towns will probably be affected more by the changing energy extraction landscape than hunting tags.

manitou1

WKR
I thought they have not increased tag numbers in several years
Wyoming doesn't have GMUs like Colorado...is that who you are referring to?
Wyoming has GMUs. I have hunted WY as a non-res for years... but am now a resident as of this year.
Referring to WY.

BuzzH

WKR
The timing of my miracle elk tag this year (1.8% odds in the random) was perfect. I was never so happy to see my nine points gone and not have to decide on future point purchases. I'll hopefully continue to have the opportunity to hunt there. Just nothing with antlers.

I feel for the guys heavily invested in goat, moose, bison and sheep. You may be better off just investing in Super Tag raffle tickets. My Wyoming buddy took 20+ years to draw his resident sheep tag so things are tough everywhere.

(I don't think anyone will ever hunt a grizzly bear. I hope I'm wrong).

G&F won't lose money. They will just collect it from fewer folks with deeper pockets.

The financial fate of small towns will probably be affected more by the changing energy extraction landscape than hunting tags.
There are no points for goat and bison...so nobody is "invested" in those.

Secondly, buying points is an "investment" into gaining another point, no guarantee of a tag.

You are correct about the revenue for small towns in Wyoming...hunters make up a very small portion of spending within the tourism industry here. Fishing is a much larger part of revenue for local businesses than hunting ever thought of being. Look at the number of hikers, snowmobilers, ATV'ers, rock climbing, camping, skiing, etc. and you quickly realize that hunters aren't that significant within the tourism industry. Just not the numbers to compete with other user groups.

Finally, what Residents here are asking for is nothing more than what Residents in MT, ID, ND, SD, UT, AZ, NM, CO, etc. get for license allocations in their states.

The task force is aware of how Residents in those states get 90% or in more in most cases, of the sheep, moose, goat and bison type tags there. The Residents here want the same thing and the task force is going to make that recommendation to the Legislature. Its a reasonable, equitable, and fair expectation for Residents here.

That's the whole point of this task force, to put Wyoming Residents on equal footing with other States and give Residents more opportunity.

Last edited:

netman

WKR
I wonder what the Guide and Outfitters Association wants? They will be the deciding factor.

BuzzH

WKR
I wonder what the Guide and Outfitters Association wants? They will be the deciding factor.
Sy Gilliland with WOGA already testified in favor of 90-10 for the big 5...you can listen to it at the task force web site.

Everyone, including the outfitters realize Wyoming has been way too generous with licenses for those species. They also realize that without significant changes to the allocations, their Resident kids and grandkids are screwed without 90-10.

LostArra

WKR
There are no points for goat and bison...so nobody is "invested" in those.

Secondly, buying points is an "investment" into gaining another point, no guarantee of a tag.

You are correct about the revenue for small towns in Wyoming...hunters make up a very small portion of spending within the tourism industry here. Fishing is a much larger part of revenue for local businesses than hunting ever thought of being. Look at the number of hikers, snowmobilers, ATV'ers, rock climbing, camping, skiing, etc. and you quickly realize that hunters aren't that significant within the tourism industry. Just not the numbers to compete with other user groups.

Finally, what Residents here are asking for is nothing more than what Residents in MT, ID, ND, SD, UT, AZ, NM, CO, etc. get for license allocations in their states.

The task force is aware of how Residents in those states get 90% or in more in most cases, of the sheep, moose, goat and bison type tags there. The Residents here want the same thing and the task force is going to make that recommendation to the Legislature. Its a reasonable, equitable, and fair expectation for Residents here.

That's the whole point of this task force, to put Wyoming Residents on equal footing with other States and give Residents more opportunity.
Thanks for the clarification on goat and bison.

I'm well aware of what a point is and what it isn't.

I'm sure the 90-10 is coming to elk, deer and antelope too and everyone will adjust. Residents and non-residents will still bitch when they don't get the tag they were hoping for.

BuzzH

WKR
Thanks for the clarification on goat and bison.

I'm well aware of what a point is and what it isn't.

I'm sure the 90-10 is coming to elk, deer and antelope too and everyone will adjust. Residents and non-residents will still bitch when they don't get the tag they were hoping for.
I agree human nature is to complain first, get facts straight second. Sort of like people bitching about being invested in points for species that never had points to begin with (who probably never have even applied for moose, sheep, goat, or bison in Wyoming)...they just like to have something to complain about.

Fatcamp

WKR
I agree human nature is to complain first, get facts straight second. Sort of like people bitching about being invested in points for species that never had points to begin with (who probably never have even applied for moose, sheep, goat, or bison in Wyoming)...they just like to have something to complain about.

Well, in all fairness, people are complaining about a massive reduction in opportunity. Correct? A change that you are largely responsible for. Among others.

More power to you, but people are losing something. Again.

BuzzH

WKR
Well, in all fairness, people are complaining about a massive reduction in opportunity. Correct? A change that you are largely responsible for. Among others.

More power to you, but people are losing something. Again.
No, not correct...a slight reduction would be more correct.

There will be NO loss of NR full priced elk tags (7,250 issued per regulation), no loss to region wide NR deer tags, and NR's would still get over 50% of the pronghorn tags in WY under 90-10.

I reckon its all how you define "massive reduction"...me, I wouldn't call it that. I respect the fact you may see it differently.

I compare Wyoming to other States that I apply in...I'm not treated nearly as well as a NR in any of them.

Fatcamp

WKR
No, not correct...a slight reduction would be more correct.

There will be NO loss of NR full priced elk tags (7,250 issued per regulation), no loss to region wide NR deer tags, and NR's would still get over 50% of the pronghorn tags in WY under 90-10.

I reckon its all how you define "massive reduction"...me, I wouldn't call it that. I respect the fact you may see it differently.

I compare Wyoming to other States that I apply in...I'm not treated nearly as well as a NR in any of them.

Well, I only hunt mule deer so LE deer tags are what I focus on.

And how about LE elk tags?

Either way, I don't get a vote, except with my feet, and in 6 years we will move our address across the border and solve that issue.

CoStick

WKR
Will be interesting to follow, I don’t recall the language when purchasing points but might be worth revisiting with expectations changing after the fact.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Mainly the NR who has applied for 20+ years for sheep will get screwed the most this time around. Moose guys a little.

Right, the elk tag quantities stay the same but the ratio goes to 90% general tags, so the “theoretical” quality goes down. Take away the opportunity to draw limited quota tags for the NR and give them general for 5-6 $50 points and a $1200 tag.

Next time around the deer antelope tags will be reduced. First by quality and them quantity.

Sadly, I see the outfitters getting 1/2 the NR licenses that remain to sell to the highest bidder as part of this deal and it is going to make New Mexico look like a bargain once all back door deals done.

Other states NR systems were not slashed 20+ years after the cost to participate in them were raised over 2000% over the years.

And no matter what Buzz says, a preference point system IS an investment. We were sold if we stay in the game long enough we will be in the max point pool. And that was sold at 25% not 10%.